The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2014, 05:34 PM

Default Ovation Tuners

Hey all. I'm having a bit of an issue. I'm currently restoring a 1979 Ovation Balladeer 1111. The tuners that came on it are mostly damaged, except for one. And I was planning on changing them to gold tuners anyway. The thing is, I can't find ANY tuning machines that fit my guitar. All the ones I've found need one screw, and on my guitar I need two screws, in a diagonal. Anyone have any ideas as to where I can find some gold tuners to fit my guitar?
Old 10-17-2014, 05:42 PM

I just looked at my 1111 and the tuners are factory tuners. They have the ovation mark on them. Other than that,I'm no help to you. Good Luck.

"In The Wind"
Old 10-17-2014, 05:57 PM

Here is a set that might fit,but they don't have any gold ones.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...d3_Tuners.html

"In The Wind"
Old 10-17-2014, 06:27 PM

Smile

Definitely considering those tuners. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2014, 07:12 PM

You might try asking this question on the Ovation Guitar Forum, if you haven't already. There are many experts there, including people who built Ovations for many years.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:46 PM

Not an expert...but I read somewhere recently that the early supplier of tuning machines was Schaller...

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 10-17-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustix View Post
Hey all. I'm having a bit of an issue. I'm currently restoring a 1979 Ovation Balladeer 1111. The tuners that came on it are mostly damaged, except for one. And I was planning on changing them to gold tuners anyway. The thing is, I can't find ANY tuning machines that fit my guitar. All the ones I've found need one screw, and on my guitar I need two screws, in a diagonal. Anyone have any ideas as to where I can find some gold tuners to fit my guitar?
They set up some kind of repair facility in CT after Fender emptied the clip into Ovation; could be they would still have original fit tuners for your guitar.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
Not an expert...but I read somewhere recently that the early supplier of tuning machines was Schaller...
Schaller is correct. What Ovation had on many of its guitars back then were the Schaller gears with nylon casings and chrome buttons:

Some of these nylon casing Schallers on the Ovation guitars had the Schaller logo, like the one in this picture, but more of them had the Ovation logo on the backplate. Same tuners, though.

Schaller stopped exporting those tuners to North America for a few decades, but they never stopped making them. They always remained available in Europe.

I just checked the Allparts website, and they didn't have any on their website, but they can get them if you make a special order.

They also might have a set or two there on the premises, they just haven't advertised them. I make a point of calling Allparts whenever I'm looking for tuners or tuner buttons - they often have samples and one-offs in the back room.

Or you can do when I'm looking for a specific part, and that is to call around to guitar repair shops to see whether anyone might have the tuner you need in a parts box.

Ovation has sold lots of guitars over the years, and there are bound to be some of those tuners out there.

For that matter, you can start a new thread on this forum with a picture of the tuner you need (whether it's this nylon casing Schaller or something else) and simply ask: "Do any of you have one of these?"

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-18-2014, 12:17 AM

Yes I can confirm that my Ovation Custom Legend has got Schaller tuners.

Best,

Keyshore
Old 10-18-2014, 07:45 AM

Plenty of good advice so far. If you specifically want ones that say "Ovation" on them, I would also advise asking on the Ovation Fan Club. That place has a very active group of packrats who have squirreled away some surprising bits and bobs.

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion