The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2001, 09:59 PM

Question Ameritage Case?

I saw an Ameritage platinum case in a Musician's "Friend" catalog. It features a digital hydrometer and some sort of humidification system build in. Has anyone here had any experience with this case? I'm ready to upgrade from the SKB case that came with my 414. Since my Radio Shack digital hydrometer shows the interior of my case to have about 32% humidity with 2 freshly saturated Damp-Its stuck in the guitars soundhole, I'm desperate to find some solution to my humidity problem. Maybe the hydrometer is out of whack, but I don't want to risk assuming that to be the case knowing as I do the extrordinary suseptibility of Taylors to damage due to low humidity. I live in Cincinnati, where our winters and furnaces bring room humidity down to 20% or so.
Also, does anyone else feel as I do that our beloved Taylors seem to be more vulnerable to low humidity than do Guilds, Gibsons, and Martins? I've had all of these over the years and have never experienced the problems with sinking tops, buzzes, etc. that have marred my enjoyment of my Taylors from time to time. I know Taylor denies that their guitars are more fragile in this regard than other solid wood instruments, but I'm sceptical.
Old 02-21-2001, 10:30 PM

Remember also, the humidity may be better than you think. Place the hygrometer in different places within the case as an experiment. Heck, put it in the soundhole for awhile!!!

cb
Old 02-21-2001, 11:05 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Louisms:
...my Radio Shack digital hydrometer shows the interior of my case to have about 32% humidity with 2 freshly saturated Damp-Its stuck in the guitars soundhole, I'm desperate to find some solution to my humidity problem...
I have the solution (everybody pay attention now)...

I'm in New England, but with some insulation or other type of problem such that my home is typically 55-60% lately (the windows even sweat.)

So I'm volunteering to let all TaylorForum members in the northern climes send me your Taylors for the winter. I'll take good care of them, and I'll make sure they're all played regularly so they don't get lonely. Promise! And I'll probably even send 'em back to you in June.

~ Paul
Old 02-21-2001, 11:59 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Good one, Paul!

I have a special room for my guitars that I keep at 48-55% humidity with a humidifier and two digital hygrometers. In Texas, it's not too much of a problem though. I imagine that up north, it can get pretty bone dry in the winter. I would strongly suggest investing in a good room humidifier or have one installed in your furnace (that hooks up to your home water supply and you don't have to worry about filling a tank). The little dampit probably isn't enough, if your house is too dry.

I'd suggest looking into the Hunter Humidifier model 33350. These are nice because they're very quiet and you don't have to worry about replacing the filter because of it's design. http://www.hunterfan.com/showroom/humid_results.tmpl

J.R. Rogers
Old 02-22-2001, 12:06 AM
I know that one

Thankfully in Tallahassee we don't have the humidity problem either unless you call a dry day 70% humidity. Typical summer days run 80 - 90%. So I'll join Paul in volunteering storage for anyone interested.
Old 02-22-2001, 12:33 AM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Wink

I have a temp and humidity controlled room at my house also so I can take any overflow of guitars that the other guys can't handle.

Bill.
Old 02-22-2001, 09:55 AM

Hey Wally, you're in Tally too? Which part? I'm a student at FSU and live over by Florida High on Call St.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion