The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 01:47 PM

The problem with magazines is they pretty much have to cater to a specific target market. Too basic and half aren't interested, too detailed and the other half quickly move on.

I subscribe to Fretboard Journal and often have a difficult time finding time to sit down and read it, although it's totally drool-inducing. I subscribe as a way of supporting the podcasts. Jason Verlinde does an exceptional job of finding great subject matter and interesting folks to interview. He's branched out to other interesting sub-sections such as tube amps, recording, and even folks outside the guitar-centric community such as surf board makers.

Every time I see a podcast and think that I should skip it I go ahead and listen. I've most often found it to be very rewarding and I end up learning something.

Why podcasts? I can throw my bluetooth headphones on and take care of one of the little details of daily life like cooking, cleaning, or doing the dishes and multi-task in the process.

It makes sense to me and fits my lifestyle.
Old 02-09-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsepicker View Post
Every time I see a podcast and think that I should skip it I go ahead and listen. I've most often found it to be very rewarding and I end up learning something.

Why podcasts? I can throw my bluetooth headphones on and take care of one of the little details of daily life like cooking, cleaning, or doing the dishes and multi-task in the process.

It makes sense to me and fits my lifestyle.
What podcasts do you listen to?
Tanglewood TU13M ukulele
Brunswick BU4B baritone ukulele
Valencia VC204H hybrid
Deacon MA100 Mandolin
Old 02-09-2022, 03:05 PM

I agree with the OP 100% and cancelled my subscription years ago.

It IS possible to turn around a guitar magazine if the right guy is at the helm. I was just about to cancel my Guitar Player Magazine subscription when Michael Molenda went on to other things and a new editor came in.

The new editor changed things for the MUCH better and I eagerly await each new issue ever since he's been in charge!

It can be done, but like the OP says, AGM has a LONG way to go.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:19 PM

I have another hobby, photography, and have watched magazines like Modern Photography, Popular Photography, Shutterbug, and few others I can't recall the names of, go under one by one. As the internet grew in importance, the advertising pages dwindled in a dramatic way. One NYC photo store used to have 15-20 pages of advertising per issue. That went to 3 or 4 pages over a period of a year or so. Within 9 -12 months Shutterbug was out of business.

Subscription fees for these magazines were always sharply discounted and in a few cases free just to get the circulation numbers up. Ad review was always a huge portion of their revenue base.

I personally like AG Mag. I always look for the songs they tab out - usually 5 or 6 per issue. I read a couple of the articles and how to sections. I would agree that their gear reviews are pretty lack luster both in print and the demo videos. Often the videos don't really feature a player that demonstrates the full capabilities of a guitar. Many better out there on You Tube and guitar store sites.

I too would feel sad if this publication disappeared.

Current Inventory:

Martin 000-18 - Golden Era
Martin 000-42
Martin D Jr.
Martin 000-15SM
Bourgeois JOM
M J Franks 000
Old 02-09-2022, 03:26 PM

To me, song lessons in a magazine are worthless. I don't read music, and even tab is problematic for me. When I need a lesson, I "YouTube" it. Like others above, I like gear reviews and personality profiles in a magazine.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 02-09-2022, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I switched over to a digital subscription years ago and do like the short video lessons and artist interviews by a number of contributors. Jeffrey Pepper Rodgers being one of my favorites.
One thing that I have noted recently when I get my email blurbs from AG with links to articles that it now reminds people that they can give a donation. I am researching this further as I always thought that they were a business as opposed to a nonprofit.
I guess that folks have to get creative these days to stay afloat. I also get the digital version of Fretboard Journal. Paper magazines just end up in a pile and eventually the recycle bin along with the junk mail that supposedly keeps the post office up and running.
Best,
Jayne
Old 02-09-2022, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Guitar reviews in magazines are useless. Who is going to trash a new line of Taylors when so much add revenue is at stake?

The online YouTube channels are pretty much the same. Rhett Shull did a video with what he does in post production. Pre post production audio was dull and lifeless. Since his and every other channel depends on views, it has to sound good. Never mind the raw audio is recorded with 4x12 cabs and two thousand dollar amps. It's entertainment. Money changes hands. The more views, the more money.

I follow some sailing videos. The top few do really well. I'm going to drop the top ones. When an electronics firm outfits a boat with new electronics, and then gets mentioned some way in every video, then I have to watch Sweetwater sell me stuff too, it's a bit much.

Guitar Player never gave a bad review when I used to read it. But when more and more guitars are sold online, what can you expect. You'll just have to buy a guitar and hope you like it. If you want it to sound like the videos, you'll need a recording setup with some plug ins. That's fun too. I like the guy who cuts up $1200 guitars and shows you the sloppy workmanship. That's my kind of YouTube channel.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-09-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
The challenge for avocation related publications (music, photography, electronics, etc.) is the mfg'er's they "review" are likely their advertisers. It's an impossible situation I think for them to be objective enough without ticking off their "lifeline". I only read reviews now for specs. As another member of the 50 year player club (I'm 66 yo) I find the focus -in much of media- is on younger players/readers/viewers. I think our demographics just aren't the target audience anymore...it's okay IMHO, it's happening on many fronts and just part of the "circle"...
I read such reviews and pay attention to what they DON'T say. Faint praise is another thing to watch out for.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I read such reviews and pay attention to what they DON'T say. Faint praise is another thing to watch out for.
Good point...I agree. Also, holds true for video reviews. You can see/hear when the reviewer is -without saying anything negative- having difficulty saying something, meaningfully positive.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:24 PM

I don't think this is unique to AG magazine. I really can't bother looking through any magazines these days.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

I used to read Guitar Player, Frets, Bass Player, Acoustic Guitar - and probably a couple of others I can’t recall - cover to cover every month. Then I discovered forums.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
I agree with the OP 100% and cancelled my subscription years ago.

It IS possible to turn around a guitar magazine if the right guy is at the helm. I was just about to cancel my Guitar Player Magazine subscription when Michael Molenda went on to other things and a new editor came in.

The new editor changed things for the MUCH better and I eagerly await each new issue ever since he's been in charge!

It can be done, but like the OP says, AGM has a LONG way to go.
Agree about GP and Molenda. Didn't know the "Editor Boy" was gone. Might need to revisit.

In the case of AG, you have talented editors and writers like Adam Perlmutter and Jeffrey Pepper Rogers in the mix, yet the magazine stays stubbornly dull. One has to assume that owner and publisher David Lusterman is guiding the ship.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 02-09-2022, 04:36 PM

I have ignored Acoustic Guitar mag
When they went to bi monthly.
There were worse guitar mags.
One was called Guitar Affectionato.
It tried to connect owning high end guitars
With wearing a Rolex, caviar, and driving a Porche
It went "belly up"
Perhaps some of the custom shop guys liked it
But many players ignored it.
Old 02-09-2022, 05:03 PM

Inherent in any specialty magazine is the problem that there are only so many topics. After awhile, the cycle needs to repeat. Certain topics are more repeatable than others, but nonetheless, there’s a repeat cycle. How many times can you read about the style of Blind Blake? How many articles about V-bracing? How many discussions about strings? We see the same thing on AGF.

Also, as you become more adept as a player and have more experience, the articles that you are interested in change, but the specialty magazine may still have the same mix as when you started.

So enjoy these mags for what they are. It is hard to compete with the multimedia, discussion forums and organic nature of the internet. And it’s near impossible to compete with free, or almost free.
Old 02-09-2022, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
For me high quality tab/music of good fingerstyle instrumentals would be a compelling reason to subscribe to a magazine, several per issue not just one
Absolutely agree!

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion