The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2022, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Taylor AD17 and AD27

On a recent trip to GC, I picked up a AD17 to try, I have not been a Taylor fan for a long time, but this one surprised me, it played well and sounded really good. I may be interested in the all Mahogany AD27....does anyone here have one that can give me a report ? They only had the 17 in stock. Thanks
Old 02-08-2022, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

I have been a Martin Gibson guy for two decades, and bought an AD17 this past September. I love it!

I have tried the AD27 side by side, and the 27 was too dark and muffled for me… and I own a D15 by Martin. The AD17 is a shockingly good guitar, and the perfect gigger. By the way, I just changed the strings from PB lights to a set of Martin Titaniums, because why not put on strings that cost 50% of the guitar’s price? (Kidding). Really pleasing more mellow sound…

The AD27 is worth trying for yourself, but I bet money you go home with the AD17.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7677664D-662C-4262-B886-35198F3BE5C0.jpg (58.8 KB, 163 views)
Old 02-08-2022, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Great comments Sal, thanks....I almost took the 17 that day, but wanted to try the 27 first.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

This ain’t exactly an acoustic virtuoso explosion of melody and overtones but my AD17 is great for singing a little tune.

Here is a comparison I did with it and a few Martins. You may like the Martins better… but the AD17 hangs in there, is light, pleasing to the player, and plugs in fantastically.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Thank you for that, well done. I have some nice Martins, the different tone of the AD17 is what interested me. Plus it felt smaller than a dread. Thanks again!
Old 02-08-2022, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
On a recent trip to GC, I picked up a AD17 to try, I have not been a Taylor fan for a long time, but this one surprised me, it played well and sounded really good. I may be interested in the all Mahogany AD27....does anyone here have one that can give me a report ? They only had the 17 in stock. Thanks
I played the AD27 2 weeks ago at my local shop. I SERIOUSLY considered taking it home. Had the 317 GP not been there I would’ve.

Having owned a few all solid Mahogany guitars I’d qualify this as livelier. Bright, but not TOO bright. I felt it was very well balanced, with some very present, warm but focused, low end. I would say it’s fairly well balanced.

To me, all mahogany guitars favor a warmer sound, but some can be “too warm”, lacking clarity and definition in the mids or highs I didn’t feel that way about the AD27. I had a D-15 that was nothing but mud. Played another… it was night and day different. So, that may be the case as you find one. The one I played sounded great!

Hope this helps.

Regards,
PT
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 02-08-2022, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

I have an AD27 that I bought in October. LOVE IT! Less "compressed" sounding than other hog top (Martin, Taylor) guitars I've played, but rich, woody, loud, and full - with great sustain. I tried both the AD17 and the AD27. Liked the AD17, but loved the AD27.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
I have sold my AD27 not long ago. Its not a bad guitar. Sounds like a Taylor... Was very well balanced. The tone was was not like most dreads and more like an over grown OM. Great sustain. Great neck. It sounded like every tailor imo just more round and better sustain. I just could not bond with it though. On the same hand I found the AD17s to have pretty terrible sustain. Woofy, thuddy low E A and D performance.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
This ain’t exactly an acoustic virtuoso explosion of melody and overtones but my AD17 is great for singing a little tune.

Here is a comparison I did with it and a few Martins. You may like the Martins better… but the AD17 hangs in there, is light, pleasing to the player, and plugs in fantastically.

I like my AD17 blacktop a lot, but I really like the sound of your Martin D15. Sounds perfect with the song you are playing there too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion