The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2022, 08:11 PM

All my instruments have been (and continue to be) well cared for, gigged, jammed, festivaled, camped, etc. I have a few that are much older than me and will definitely outlast me. I tend to take good care of things.

I've had some vehicles that have been with me over 30 years. All the homes I've bought, remodeled and lived in have been older than me. They'll outlast me too.

One thing I've never done (and don't intend to do) is get a pre-worn, relic'ed, faux wear instrument. Just the antithesis of my honest wear, cared-for-but-not-coddled ethos. If others like them that's ok with me.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:39 PM

Pristine or well traveled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
All my instruments have been (and continue to be) well cared for, gigged, jammed, festivaled, camped, etc. I have a few that are much older than me and will definitely outlast me. I tend to take good care of things.

One thing I've never done (and don't intend to do) is get a pre-worn, relic'ed, faux wear instrument. Just the antithesis of my honest wear, cared-for-but-not-coddled ethos. If others like them that's ok with me.

I would like to echo this general overall sentiment from Mandobart. Without being too obsessive, I try to care for my instruments and other things as best I can. I certainly try not to do anything to deliberately damage them. So Pristine is the goal, but well-travelled may be the necessity. I think the only one that is 'pristine', or unused except by me, is the last one I got ('21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jumbo), which was bought brand-new and has really not left the house yet. Half my guitars were bought used, but mostly in decent-to-great shape, with one exception.

A couple of my guitars don't leave the property anymore, and the ones that do, while not ignored, may still have to take their chances when used and shared. But Covid has made most of them house/porch denizen guitars lately, 'cause I don't get out that much anymore either.

Be well all,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 02-08-2022 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

I take good care of my guitars. But if there were some wear that had good stories behind it I wouldn't mind.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

I take care of my guitars and gear. But as they are tools and being used, I realize pristine is out of the question. Load in/load outs are going to cause bumps and bruises

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-08-2022, 09:33 PM

There’s something nice about a new pristine finished piece of wood/ guitar.
But I love to know that the guitar has been played.
The magic of the notes, chords, songs is more powerful to me than the magic of artisans and meticulous detail.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

….I have and appreciate examples of both….my favorite look is the well travelled but not abused look….I love a vintage patina…and a nicely crazed but not flaky finish….
Old 02-09-2022, 06:41 AM

Well travelled - I buy instruments to play, and I play a lot, so as such they're going to get honest wear on them. What's funny though, is unlike some folks here with pristine instruments who share photos of them on stands in their home or hanging on the wall, I would never do that with my instruments. They always go back in the case when not being played, and that's never been an impediment that resulted in me playing "less" because I had to take a few seconds to flip the latches of the case open. Not casting judgement on anyone, just something that strikes me as funny - you'd assume someone with well worn instruments would feel at ease leaving them out but not me.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:54 AM

I keep my gear in like new condition. That being said life happens to instruments and if my stuff gets scuffed Its not big deal. I might put it back in the case for a few but I get over it pretty fast.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:29 AM

Most any piece of gear I own is well-cared for - but used. If I am not going to use it, either I don't get it or I get rid of it. If it's going to be used, despite my best care, sometimes things happen. While I regret each and every instance, I find no point in dwelling on it. That said, there is a difference to me between cosmetic wear and functional wear. If something happens that endangers function, I take care of it or get rid of the item. Cosmetic issues I usually am able to live with.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Do you like your guitars to look played and well travelled or do you try to keep them polished and pristine?
So long as it was my idiocy that put the scars there, I am happy with it looking as flawed as I am...which is very flawed
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 02-09-2022, 08:19 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
So long as it was my idiocy that put the scars there, I am happy with it looking as flawed as I am...which is very flawed
Good post. I agree -- If the damage is my own, it's part of the guitar's "heritage". If someone else damages my guitar(!) I'll rip off their arm and use it to beat them.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 02-09-2022, 09:10 AM

Cool

I prefer my guitars pristine but I know it's not easy to keep them pristine.

If I'm a gigging musician (which I'm not), I'll have a few guitars for gigs which I'll be prepared if they get dings and scratches.

I like to keep them as pristine as possible so that it's easier to sell them, if I decide to.

Maybe I'm just a little more OCD than most.

To OP. Good thread to start a poll.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 02-09-2022, 09:53 AM

I don't obsess over my guitars, but after 20 years one rice size ding is normal. It's just being aware of your surroundings. My 6 year old Martin 00's are still mint being played 5-10 hours a week each.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

I won't abuse a guitar and I try to keep them as nice as I can, but I can be a little clumsy and I gig a lot so they show signs of wear. And actually I prefer a guitar that shows it's life so it's all good. A well worn guitar just feels more natural in my hands and I think they sound better to my ears.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-09-2022, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

I try to keep mine closer to pristine than well-traveled...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion