The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2022, 07:22 AM

Default Strings that are both bright and warm

I know, it's a bit contradictory, but I am looking to "brighten up" my grand Auditorium, but I also want a warm bottom end. Something that might give be a small bit of a better bass response, yet also have a bright happy tone on the high side.

Does anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 02-08-2022, 07:33 AM

D’Addario (sp?) has always stated that their strings are bright and warm, which, as you suggested, is a contradiction of terms to me.

Maybe others can ‘splain that.
Rb
Old 02-08-2022, 07:40 AM

Look for a custom set with heavier bottom strings?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-08-2022, 07:49 AM

John Pearse make a Bluegrass set 12-56 that do exactly that. Elixir has the same set in Nanoweb, both 80/20 and PB. I prefer PB for the warmth of the wounds. The 56 gives a good bass tone and the 12 give the bright tone

If you don’t want to go up to 56 the Ernie Ball Earthwood light medium 12-54 is a nice compromise and a set I use regularly as well as the above 12-56 sets.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Earthwood 80/20 mediums; warm yet defined with a nice presence.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Look for a custom set with heavier bottom strings?
Hi Mbm…
Sometimes adding heavier bottom strings just makes bass muddy, not warm.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-08-2022, 08:18 AM

My vote would be DR Sunbeams.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

I think that you are describing a good old set of 80/20s. More bottom end than PBs with a shimmer on the top and scooped mids. I think that they get the label "bright" just because the mids tend to be scooped compared to the "warm" PBs. But if you want lots of bass and top then try a set out. The Ernie Ball Earthwood 80/20s have already been suggested. Their medium/lights are 12-54 and mediums are 13-56. Make sure you order the 80/20s because the Earthwood range come in PB and silk and steel too.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
Something that might give be a small bit of a better bass response, yet also have a bright happy tone on the high side.
At some point, achieving the tone you want comes down to how and where the player plucks the strings. Moving your plucking hand north or south of the sound hole can have a major effect. Brushing the strings vs digging in changes tone. Etc, etc.

The particular guitar probably makes a difference.

But then everyone knows this. Just suggesting there's just so much that string choice can do. YMMV.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:44 AM

I really like GHS Bright Bronze, they are bright but not shrill, bass is good, and after a few days they settle a bit and the tone gets warmer. They last a long time for me and they have a nice soft feel under the fingers (lower tension maybe?). I also just tried a set of DR Rare PBs recently and they are good too.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:48 AM

I think the D'Addario XT 80/20s fit that description.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:17 PM

Is that like asking for jumbo shrimp?
Old 02-08-2022, 01:11 PM

You should try the D'Addario blue grass set (EJ19 in medium). This will be guitar dependent. In some guitars the highs will sort of disappear, in others the sound will significantly brighten up while you keep the deep PB lows. When they work, the bottom will sound deeper contrasted to the crisper highs.

These are my preferred strings on my Collings D1AT; and they sound pretty great on my Huss and Dalton dread as well.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
My vote would be DR Sunbeams.
^^ i always thought the dr sunbeams were simultaneously bright and warm. unlike, say, the newtone doublewounds which are warmer and darker.

i also think 80/20s can be like that. the sunbeams are very lively. this is what makes them have presence (and thus corresponds with the notion of bright). 80/20s are not lively after you play them for 3-4 hours, although they have good presence by providing clarity and transparency. which is another aspect of bright, perhaps. they are also very warm. for instance, JP 80/20s or even curt mangan hex core 80/20s. they are however a bit "flat" when compared to round core versions

a round core 80/20 will have more presence and liveliness than the hex core 80/20s in my experience. a curt mangan 80/20 set is one of my favorites. that said, i much prefer the sound of hex core 80/20s on one of my guitars.

so, depending on what you want - a lively, warm sound with some overtones or a warm and transparent, clear sound - you have options. i realize much of this relies on how one interprets these words...

cheers.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingSparrow View Post
^^ i always thought the dr sunbeams were simultaneously bright and warm. unlike, say, the newtone doublewounds which are warmer and darker.

i also think 80/20s can be like that. the sunbeams are very lively. this is what makes them have presence (and thus corresponds with the notion of bright). 80/20s are not lively after you play them for 3-4 hours, although they have good presence by providing clarity and transparency. which is another aspect of bright, perhaps. they are also very warm. for instance, JP 80/20s or even curt mangan hex core 80/20s. they are however a bit "flat" when compared to round core versions

a round core 80/20 will have more presence and liveliness than the hex core 80/20s in my experience. a curt mangan 80/20 set is one of my favorites. that said, i much prefer the sound of hex core 80/20s on one of my guitars.

so, depending on what you want - a lively, warm sound with some overtones or a warm and transparent, clear sound - you have options. i realize much of this relies on how one interprets these words...

cheers.
I think you have articulated well and that isn't an easy thing to do when describing what we hear in these strings.

I also agree with your statement.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion