The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-05-2022, 01:57 PM

Default Talk me into or out of it

Hi All, I am new to the forum but have been playing guitar since 1964, Yeah I know I'm old but it beats the alternative I have 8 guitars all of them are good insturments but none of them are what I would consider "great". I am searching for "the one" and am considering a Martin 000-18. My budget is about $3,000 will the Martin fill the bill or does anyone have another suggestion. For reference I mostly strum and do a little flat picking and am trying to learn some hybrid picking. I play old rock, blues, country, folk and a little old time / bluegrass. Thanks in advance for any and all constructive feedback.

Be Nice & Play Guitar.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:04 PM

The Martin 000-18 is an iconic guitar. There are many people, myself included, who love them. There may or may not be a better choice for you personally but the 000-18 is a time tested favorite and the current production models are very nice.

If possible, I'd recommend playing as many as you can as they're all a little different. I would also budget in a pro setup. Martin's come with what many people consider to be somewhat high action from the factory and unless that's what you like, having it lowered a bit will usually improve the playability of the guitar.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldnose View Post
HFor reference I mostly strum and do a little flat picking and am trying to learn some hybrid picking. I play old rock, blues, country, folk and a little old time / bluegrass.
If Martin is your cup o’tea, and looking at your list, I personally would go for a CFM D-18. In fact I did when the D-18 was ‘re-imagined’ back in 2012! An unbeatable all-rounder for the styles you describe. I use mine for solo and band work, playing folk, Americana, country, and some rock, strummed and fingerpicked.

Ya can’t go wrong with a D-18!

But, if possible, get out, try some guitars, and buy the one that ‘does it’ for you.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 02-05-2022 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi All, I am new to the forum but have been playing guitar since 1964, Yeah I know I'm old but it beats the alternative I have 8 guitars all of them are good insturments but none of them are what I would consider "great". I am searching for "the one" and am considering a Martin 000-18. My budget is about $3,000 will the Martin fill the bill or does anyone have another suggestion. For reference I mostly strum and do a little flat picking and am trying to learn some hybrid picking. I play old rock, blues, country, folk and a little old time / bluegrass. Thanks in advance for any and all constructive feedback.

Be Nice & Play Guitar.
Welcome to the forum Coldnose! Well you definitely can't go wrong with a 000-18. Are you looking for a non-dreadnought? If so, another suggestion if you want a Martin, a CEO-7. If not, a Gibson LG-2, both in your price range. Good luck and again, welcome to AGF

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-05-2022, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

If a smaller body guitar is what you prefer, you certainly won't be disappointed with a 000-18. There are obviously many other options out there you could consider, but for a great lifetime all-rounder the 000-18 (or D-18 for a bigger body) is a real winner!
Old 02-05-2022, 03:21 PM

Coldnose, welcome to the AGF!

Sounds like you have enough experience to know that the 000-18 is a great guitar. Have you played one before?

Are you considering buying used? Your dollar can go farther that way.
Old 02-05-2022, 03:37 PM

I haven't played a 000-18 yet but I did play a 000-28 at the Martin factory a couple of years ago. I am looking forward to the hunt for the next guitar. My bigest obstacle is there are zero guitar shops less than 1.5 to 2 hours away so I am going to have to go to Atlanta for a day to shop. I like the idea of a smaller body but am not going to rule out another body style if I find one that really stands out to me.
Old 02-05-2022, 03:38 PM

I firmly believe that the only way to find "the one" is to play a whole bunch of guitars. These days there seems to be so much variation in quality, sound and setup, even between different examples of the same brand and model, that hands-on testing is the only real way to KNOW that you've found "the one." You can try mail order and get lucky, but the chances are just as good (and perhaps better) that you'll be disappointed.

For example, I've been wanting a 00-28VS for a while. I found a gently used one in a local shop. I was ready to buy it . . . until I actually went to the shop and played it. I didn't like the tone or the playability of it. I think a setup could have helped the playability, but the tone was just meh. I left disappointed. I know there are great examples of that guitar out there, but that one wasn't one of them.

My advice is especially true if you don't know for sure the specs you're looking for. E.g., neck shape, scale, # of frets, nut width, string spacing at the bridge, etc., etc.
Old 02-05-2022, 03:39 PM

As has been stated, you can't go wrong with a 000-18 but if you can, you should go out and play a bunch of different guitars. You have enough experience to know what you like. Make the search a project and have fun with it!
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 02-05-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I haven't played a 000-18 yet but I did play a 000-28 at the Martin factory a couple of years ago. I am looking forward to the hunt for the next guitar. My bigest obstacle is there are zero guitar shops less than 1.5 to 2 hours away so I am going to have to go to Atlanta for a day to shop. I like the idea of a smaller body but am not going to rule out another body style if I find one that really stands out to me.
That's a great idea, get out for a day trip and try out a bunch of guitars. Look ahead to find out what stores have the guitars you want to try. You never know what might be "the one".
Old 02-05-2022, 04:08 PM

Yes- you will like it.
Old 02-05-2022, 04:44 PM

I sure love it but I do not consider my OOO-18 a strumming beast
as I play only fingerstyle.

I agree with the CEO-7 suggestion though.

But why not a Gibson J-45 ?

Or some Taylor ? Or a new Guild ?
Old 02-05-2022, 05:45 PM

Hmmm $3k…. You could find a nice used J45 true vintage on reverb.
Old 02-05-2022, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

First, welcome to the forum! Second, there is no such thing as 'the one'. The quicker you disabuse yourself of this notion, the happier you will be. And you will save a LOT of money!!

That said, the Martin 000-18 is pretty much the 'Swiss Army Knife' of guitars - it does it all and does it well. Of the 40 or so guitars I've owned over the last decade the custom GE model I had is one of the very few I regret selling.
Old 02-05-2022, 06:07 PM

Quote:
My bigest obstacle is there are zero guitar shops less than 1.5 to 2 hours away so I am going to have to go to Atlanta for a day to shop.
I’m in northwest Atlanta. Outside the perimeter. Cobb county.

You may be hard pressed to find a 000-18 to play. Definitely call ahead.

Ken Stanton music has an 000-28 on their website. It doesn’t list which of their five stores it is at. They are Martin Custom Shop experts so they might be good to speak with anyway.

I was at Sam Ash a few weeks ago. They had a couple of high end Taylor’s under glass but nothing else over $1000.

Righteous Guitars has only one Martin listed right now. It’s worth talking to them if you are driving all the way here. They are the real deal. I think they are appointment only.

Not sure what’s intown or south/west of the city. Again, probably a good idea to call ahead.

You are welcome to stop by and try my Eastman E10OM-TC. It’s actually a 24.9” scale 000. I’m not sure why they call it an OM. Send a PM if you are interested.

-Tim-

Last edited by TTiimm; 02-05-2022 at 06:14 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion