The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2022, 04:09 PM

I have a 2010 and a 2011 Santa Cruz OM/PW. Both are Spruce and rosewood and they sound very different - excellent, but different. I also have a Martin Custom Shop OM-18 with GE bracing with spruce and mahogany and it's very different from the other two. They all sound great, but they differ enough to satisfy my taste for variety.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:41 PM

The only way to answer that question is to string them all with the same strings, at the same time.
2011 Taylor 814ce
2015 Taylor 356ce (12 string)
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70
Old 02-08-2022, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
The sound is mostly in the hands of the player not the instrument. We fool ourselves into thinking differently but the difference in sound between two similar guitars played by the same person is unnoticeable by most people.
Are you talking about that same person being a listener or the player? As the player I've not heard two guitars of the same type and size sound the same even within brands. And I'm not fooling myself. A Martin 000-16 does not sound like a 000-28. Nor does a 000-28 sound like a 000-18. I wish they all did sound like xxx-18s and 28s and above, I could have saved a lot of money over the years. I am finding I don't have to pay those prices across brands to make myself happy though. Just proved it again today with the E20D I left Chicago Music Exchange with today. Amazing sound at a fraction of the cost of an equivalent Martin.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 02-08-2022, 08:07 PM

Yes, I think that they do sound different. It would be interesting if there were more double blind tests in this regard.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:54 PM

I just recorded mine quickly the other day straight from an AKG P220.

Clearly different tone, clarity, and bass/treble response.
Both jumbo sized guitars. Same strings. Only about 50° in the basement when I did this, so my fingers were getting chilled.

RainSong Jumbo - https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/XbgCG
Emerald X30 - https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/FcUay

Last edited by DethWshBkr; 02-08-2022 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Yes they do, all 41 of mine.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 02-09-2022, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I don't mean the Dread vs the Parlor, I mean similar sized guitars. I'm listening to a few online that I am interested in and I realize that I am drawn to the same tone that I already have. That makes sense, but where's the sense in buying yet another guitar then?
Been saying it for ever Barry,I keep trying out nice guitars ,all different price points and I keep coming back to the only guitar I own.
So the answer to your question is .......No point !
Old 02-10-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_D View Post
Are you talking about that same person being a listener or the player? As the player I've not heard two guitars of the same type and size sound the same even within brands. And I'm not fooling myself. A Martin 000-16 does not sound like a 000-28. Nor does a 000-28 sound like a 000-18. I wish they all did sound like xxx-18s and 28s and above, I could have saved a lot of money over the years. I am finding I don't have to pay those prices across brands to make myself happy though. Just proved it again today with the E20D I left Chicago Music Exchange with today. Amazing sound at a fraction of the cost of an equivalent Martin.
I'm talking primarily about the listener, but as players I think we tend to exaggerate the differences in order to justify buying more guitars, and we are encouraged in this by our consumerist society.
Also please note that I said "similar" guitars, I'm not suggesting that a cheap laminate guitar will ever sound the same as a Martin authentic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion