The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-05-2022, 04:03 PM

Yes- very much so.
Old 02-05-2022, 04:05 PM

Yes, mine all sound quite different. Different body sizes/shapes, different woods, and I tend to play them differently. My playing style when playing a parlor is much different than when playing a dread. They all have their own character.
Old 02-05-2022, 04:10 PM
Musical minimalist

My two steel strings couldn't be any different if they tried...

The Charis is warm and lush with a smoothness across the entire spectrum.

The Mcknight/Poling is very direct, in your face, and brighter on the high end.

They are both Koa and Spruce and relatively similar in size.

Old 02-05-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I have a 00-28 and a 00-18 and they sound completely different from each other, which is why I've decided to keep both. And they both sound different than my 000-15 and Larrivee OM-03R. Even my girlfriend, who is not a musician, noticed the difference without me saying anything.

So I have to disagree with the statement that it's all in the players hands. Four different guitars played by the same player and four distinct sounds. And when my duo partner plays them, while the7$y don't sound like me, it's still four completely different sounds.
I didn't say it was all in the players hands, I said "mostly". What I mean is, when you hear a Doc Watson recording you can't tell whether he's playing a D18 or a Gallagher but you can tell he's Doc Watson! Someone like John Renbourn or Duck Baker is instantly recognisable by their style not by the instrument they are playing.

When I play a guitar I sound like me, when I hand that guitar to someone else it sounds different. The only thing that has changed is the player.

Of course there are some differences in sound between one guitar and another but they are very subtle differences, the big difference is in the hands of the player.
Old 02-05-2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I don't mean the Dread vs the Parlor, I mean similar sized guitars. I'm listening to a few online that I am interested in and I realize that I am drawn to the same tone that I already have. That makes sense, but where's the sense in buying yet another guitar then?
I've noticed the same thing, that I have something of a preferred sound and response and when I've had time to play different guitars in stores I tend to gravitate to guitars around the OO to OM sizes that are responsive and have a nice treble and midrange response without overpowering bass. So, in a sense I end up shopping the same guitars I own.

Yes, I think my guitars represent that sound goal differently, and a couple are there for contrast. I perceive differences in response, sometimes quite strong differences, and the interaction with that effects the end sound I hear too. I'm not sure how much of that is all in my head, but I'll pick up a guitar to record a piece and after a pass or two at it, put in back in the case for another fairly often.

As Robin Wales noted above, I don't think listeners hear what I think I hear, and even if they do to some degree, they hardly care. Even though I do play differently on different guitars, there is the me that can't be removed.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-05-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post
Yes, mine all sound quite different. Different body sizes/shapes, different woods, and I tend to play them differently. My playing style when playing a parlor is much different than when playing a dread. They all have their own character.
Different sizes here too: I have a laminate Yamaha dreadnought (EF15) a solid carved Gibson archtop (L50), and a low level Martin (000X1). I try to play jazz on all of them. If I want more bass, I play the dread. If I want even tone and fundamentals, archtop. Blend of the two? Triple-0.
Old 02-05-2022, 05:50 PM

None of my guitars is the same size, and only two of them have Sitka tops, so even though they all have mahogany or sapele backs they have totally different personalities.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:46 PM

I'm a little confused by your post, Barry. You have an assortment of guitars that, based on my experience, have very different tone profiles. So it would seem to be understandable that a new guitar might sound a lot like one or another of yours. But maybe I am missing something.

As for the suggestion by some that the sound is mostly in the player's hands, well, that's true in the sense that most players' technique and idiosyncrasies don't change from guitar to guitar. And the audience (if there is one), other than the guitar geeks sitting close to stage (sometimes me), listens to the player and doesn't try to detect the nuances of the guitar. Still, when I play in a small quiet room with decent accoustics, even the undiscerning can hear the difference between my three primary players, a Goodall RCJ (rosewood/adi), a Martin 00-18 Tim O'Brien, and a Vacanti archtop (carved maple and spruce).
Old 02-05-2022, 10:07 PM

I did some recording last weekend of my guitars, and found a pretty big difference between guitars in the recordings that I don’t notice unplugged.
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string
Old 02-05-2022, 10:13 PM

Do guitars sound different?
Yes, they do. In fact some guitars, like Gibson J45’s, sound different from guitar to guitar.

However, the player sounds like the player.
Ever hear Carlos Santana play, and KNOW it’s him before he’s identified?

I have a cedar over Sapele dread and a Spruce over Rosewood dread.
The often sound very similar.
I’ve even had the Spruce guitar be warmer than the Cedar.
It isn’t always the “arrow”.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 02-06-2022, 06:18 AM

The short answer is yes - of course they all sound different. The more obvious answer is that they all sound like guitars. And, after a few moments of listening and playing, they all sound like ‘me’. Even if you handed me ‘the’ $100,000 Martin D100, it would still sound like ‘me’ playing it (FBOFW).

Over the years, I’ve likened guitars to a human chorus. Some are better in the bass range, some are better in the tenor range. Some are better with overtones, sustain and embellishment, but they all sound like humans with vocal chords. And some will be better adapted to certain styles of music than others. Same with guitars.

Rick

Last edited by srick; 02-06-2022 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:54 AM

On a side note for a moment, I thought it was interesting how, in its heyday, Ovation created another compelling reason for enthusiasts to own multiple guitars from their line through artwork. Where OMs, dreads, and what have you in the wooden box market look petty much the same within and across a range of different manufacturers, Ovation included visual panache into its line by serving up a panoply of alluring designs and colours such that their buyers would always want the latest offerings.

Sound is the principle draw, yes, but it's not the only one.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:32 AM
Get off my lawn kid

One of these days I'll do a recording and see if anyone can pick out which one is which. I'd like to see if I can do it too.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-06-2022, 10:44 AM

Mine are very different, and they each get their own type of music. As I think about future guitars, I look for a distinctly different voice. I'd love to add a resonater for example, and a cedar topped guitar for the sweeter Miss John Hurt type things I play. I don't think I'd ever seek to replicate what I have unless it was to replace it. I think I'll always live in a 5-6 guitar world.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 02-06-2022, 10:58 AM

I have four Martin dreads made out of four different kinds of wood (Brazilian, East Indian, Amazon, and Madagascar). They all sound different.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion