The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Id vote for one of the Godins. Yamahas are great guitars, but IME, they have a lifespan. Once youve shaved the bridge, and the action is still high, theyre done. Playing guitar should be enjoyable, and an ill-fitted guitar is not enjoyable. I travel with a dred-jr in its hard case. Only save an inch or so in each dimension, but it sure seems to help compared to a full-sized case. And I cant-wont play back-packer models. (Canoe paddles)
I havent shaved the bridge plate yet, but the saddle is getting pretty low, if the frets were fixed I could likely bring the strings down a little more. With .11's on it plays pretty nice as is.

I think my S&P mini jumbo in its soft case is only slightly bigger than the Yami in its hardcase. As you mention, a cased dred is not really that much bigger either, and I stand corrected on my 820, it is indeed laminate B/S.

Last edited by Bushleague; 02-01-2022 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:13 AM

Of course I'm biased since I have both, but if it were me, I'd probably go with my indestructible KLŌS carbon fiber travel guitar, or my second choice would be my el-cheapo (but very playable) Gretsch Jim Dandy.

Mind you, I have small hands, so I prefer small guitars.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmars View Post
The old yamaha, but maybe buy a gretsch jim dandy or a pair of them as everyone plays and have some fun jams. Any 3/4 sized guitar that is set up nice would be good choice.
+1 for the Jim Dandy.
I bought one about a year ago as a delta blues and old time guitar and I really like it for what it cost (€190).

It's all laminate and the satin finish is pretty thick (at least it feels thick) but the sound is boxy and not very loud just like I wanted it for those styles of music.

The frets wear down very easily. Too easily. But the scale is 24" compared to the 23.5" of the GS mini.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:04 AM

Alvarez AP parlor : 14" scale and 1 3/4" nut width
Either the AP70 or the AP66 (all mahogany)

Also the Seagull Performer.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

The Furch Little Jane might be an interesting option if you really want to optimize your space. Might be a bit too nice for your use case though.

If I was going on your trip I would most likely take my Klos travel guitar so add that as another recommendation for that one.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

I have a RV pull behind trailer that's just under 30' so I have a bit more room. I usually bring along one of my dreads in case I run into a campground jam. Oddly enough I ran into a guy (last time we were out) who was a couple of camp sites over from me who played and asked him if he's like to get together and he just kinda blew me off. I guess not everyone wants to play with others?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 02-01-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:48 AM

One of your current guitars = I'd take a Godin. But the Taylor GS Mini is perfect for this sort of thing. Mine has been all over the US and Canada and I've been real happy to have it along. Maybe you can get lucky and find one slightly used locally. At any rate, have fun on the trip!
Old 02-01-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I havent shaved the bridge plate yet, but the saddle is getting pretty low, if the frets were fixed I could likely bring the strings down a little more. With .11's on it plays pretty nice as is.

I think my S&P mini jumbo in its soft case is only slightly bigger than the Yami in its hardcase. As you mention, a cased dred is not really that much bigger either, and I stand corrected on my 820, it is indeed laminate B/S.
I have an S&P mini jumbo, what a wonderful guitar. I'd take that with me. Regardless of what you take, you need to make sure you still enjoy playing the guitar.

Northern Saskatchewan? According to Super Dave Osborne (anyone remember him), you should be able to find some genuine Saskatchewan seal-skin bindings that you could use for a number of things .
Old 02-01-2022, 03:22 PM

I've had a cheap laminate B/S classical since '68 that doesn't have a case and has never seen an Oasis stick. I figure low tension and partial lamination protects it. It would probably explode if I ever humidified it.

It lives in the high, dry Rockies and been to the desert on a truck with no name. Nary a crack, and has great tone with John Pearse Folk Strings.

Plus there's something about a mellow classical around the campfire.
Old 02-01-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I'd throw in a Voyage-Air VAOM-02 basic entry level folding OM size guitar. All laminate. Sounds much better than it has a right to? That is if you're looking to buy something new/used for that purpose.
I'll second the Voyage-Air. Full-size OM that handles temperature and humidity changes well, only takes up the space of a small travel guitar, and it does sound much better than it has a right to.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-01-2022, 08:26 PM

+1 on the Jim Dandy.

I wanted a guitar that I could take anywhere and let anyone play, so I got a $160 Jim Dandy. It was not very nice sounding so I thought it might have been a mistake. Not one to give up on an idea, I took off the pick guard, made a bone saddle and did complete setup with Martin light silk and steel strings. What a difference! It's certainly not a high end guitar but sounds pretty good if you don't put it next to one. I am quite happy with it for the purpose I got it for.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:50 PM

Ukulele
Old 02-01-2022, 10:52 PM

We took our kids camping for years and I strongly suggest a hard case. I can almost guarantee that things will get put on top of your guitar and the only way to protect it is a hard case. Any guitar you are comfortable playing and it has a hard case is good. Of course a smaller guitar takes up less space.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:28 PM

I'm in the "get the vintage Yamaha squared away" camp.

Last year I scored, believe it or not, a Fender CC-60S Concert size acoustic that also works well for a travel guitar. Sounds good for a Fender. Solid top and, at the time, $20 cheaper than the Yamaha FS800. Which is another excellent choice IMHO.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 02-07-2022, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playguitar View Post
We took our kids camping for years and I strongly suggest a hard case. I can almost guarantee that things will get put on top of your guitar and the only way to protect it is a hard case. Any guitar you are comfortable playing and it has a hard case is good. Of course a smaller guitar takes up less space.
I might see if the S&P MJ fits in the Yamaha's hard case. If it does I'll probably take the MJ, if not I'll just take the Yami and hope for the best.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion