The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-31-2022, 11:04 PM

Default Guitar for extended camping trip.

I'm in the process of arranging to take a summer off of work, and spend two months road triping/ camping with my family before my kids turn into teenagers and realize they cant stand me. I think we will be using a truck box camper and a tent, so not a ton of space for 4 people, but as we all play I'm hoping to make room for at least one guitar. So which should I bring?

Vintage Yamaha: Smallest of the guitars and it sounds great, all laminate with no electronics, but its got some pretty wore down frets and I've got things set as absolutely low as they will go to keep this guitar playable. Would likely be fine, but if anything shifts or wears down to much I could end up hauling around a barely playable guitar all summer... or just tossing it on a campfire somewhere in northern Saskatchewan.

Yamaha FG 830 12 string: Bigger guitar, all solid wood I believe. I would just set it up with 6 strings for the summer. Almost new but not a pricy guitar, no electronics.

Couple mid-range Godin's: Both nice sounding guitars, both well used so if they pick up a few more dings its no big deal, laminate backs and spruce tops, they've got electronics. One is a mini Jumbo with a soft case so its less bulky but I'd have to make sure nothing gets stacked on top of it.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-31-2022, 11:40 PM

With the limited space you describe and a two-month itinerary I'd spring for something like this:

https://www.lavamusic.com/shop?g_id=1
Old 02-01-2022, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

Last summer my wife and I road tripped for twenty eight days from Iowa the west coast through mountains and deserts and and back again. I took a GS Mini with me in an SKB hard case. We weren't camping but just the same, it served me well and survived the trip with absolutely no ill effects. I've also taken the same GS Mini on many shorter trips and to dozens of neighborhood bon fires and played it. It is doing just fine as a result and I intend to continue hauling it wherever I go. So if I were going camping for a month, it would be going too.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 02-01-2022, 12:17 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Of those choices, I’d take a chance on the vintage Yamaha. You say, “smallest and sounds great” (that’s good enough for me) and being laminate, it should handle the environmental conditions. In the unlikely event that it implodes, you’ll already be on a road trip, so you should be able to easily find a suitable replacement.
Old 02-01-2022, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Of those choices, I’d take a chance on the vintage Yamaha. You say, “smallest and sounds great” (that’s good enough for me) and being laminate, it should handle the environmental conditions. In the unlikely event that it implodes, you’ll already be on a road trip, so you should be able to easily find a suitable replacement.
I'll either be making a slow motion lap through BC, or heading east through Northern Saskatchewan/ Manitoba, possibly as far as the great lakes. Might not be really great guitar buying/ fixing opportunities in most areas, but yeah, that old guitar's survived an awful lot and will likely keep surviving for some time. Playing with the idea of getting the first 5 frets replaced prior to the summer, but it would likely cost about as much as that guitar is worth. That said, it does sound great and I dont think the neck has moved much in the last couple decades so maybe not a total waste of money.

Last edited by Bushleague; 02-01-2022 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-01-2022, 12:43 AM

The old yamaha, but maybe buy a gretsch jim dandy or a pair of them as everyone plays and have some fun jams. Any 3/4 sized guitar that is set up nice would be good choice.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:15 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I'll either be making a slow motion lap through BC, or heading east through Northern Saskatchewan/ Manitoba, possibly as far as the great lakes. Might not be really great guitar buying/ fixing opportunities in most areas, but yeah, that old guitar's survived an awful lot and will likely keep surviving for some time. Playing with the idea of getting the first 5 frets replaced prior to the summer, but it would likely cost about as much as that guitar is worth. That said, it does sound great and I dont think the neck has moved much in the last couple decades so maybe not a total waste of money.
I hear ya! In ‘79, I bought a new ‘78 Ibanez Vintage 630 at a guitar shop in Daytona Beach, FL as my first acoustic. It may have a solid top (not sure), but definitely laminate b&s. I’d just graduated from college in Ontario, Canada and headed out on a summer long “experience” to begin in Florida before getting serious about pursuing my career. I still have that guitar. While in Daytona, I also bought a ‘63 Chevy Impala which after a few weeks in Florida, I drove it back to Canada.

Upon returning, immediately I headed out in the old Chevy on a cross-Canada road trip that took 5 months. That car was indestructible, as was the Ibanez which took as much camping, Vancouver Island beach parties and everywhere in-between and overall abuse as you can imagine...and to this day, it keeps on ticking and sounds quite decent, though very scarred. It’s my beater, but it’s the one I’d reach for for such a trip where I don’t have to worry. It can take the weather. My experience with my Ibanez is why I suggest going with your vintage Yamaha. It’ll take whatever you and kids can dish out. If you think changing some frets will make it a player for the journey, then I say do it.

Last edited by Acousticado; 02-01-2022 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-01-2022, 03:11 AM
Charter Member

My Godin guitar (an Art & Lutherie) has been on many campervan trips in a gig bag. So did my Seagull and my A&L dread before that - so I would take one of your Godin guitars.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-01-2022, 04:35 AM

I have a Rainsong Parlor guitar - about the size of a Martin O. It’s pretty much bombproof and sounds very good.

However, personally, I would take the Yamaha to a luthier for a fret job and complete setup. It would cost less than most inexpensive travel guitars and would likely sound better. Take the old friend along.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 02-01-2022, 05:33 AM

Your vintage Yamaha and (maybe) get the first frets replaced.

You said the job would cost almost as much as it’s worth…well, is it an investment you intend to sell or something you want to keep around as an old friend? Personally, guitars like you describe it are part of you. Take it to the doc and get it fixed up so it can keep on going with you.

If nothing else, maybe get a spare bridge and make one that’s just a little taller than what you have now. If something shifts, just pop in the new bridge.

Besides, your kids may want to learn to play. Which would you rather they learn to play on? One that can take the abuse of being laid down on the dirt, sand or just a little too close to the camp fire, or the one where you are going to worry about it splitting, cracking, or something else horrible happening to it? Also, even setup as a 6 string, the neck it going to be a bit wider, making it harder for little hands to play it.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 02-01-2022, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Id vote for one of the Godins. Yamahas are great guitars, but IME, they have a lifespan. Once youve shaved the bridge, and the action is still high, theyre done. Playing guitar should be enjoyable, and an ill-fitted guitar is not enjoyable. I travel with a dred-jr in its hard case. Only save an inch or so in each dimension, but it sure seems to help compared to a full-sized case. And I cant-wont play back-packer models. (Canoe paddles)
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-01-2022, 07:12 AM

Since a few others have mentioned the Taylor GS Mini, which you don't currently own, I also recommend looking into it. It comes with a very nice padded case and it will definitely not disappoint you. The big sound that comes out of such a small guitar is uncanny. Mine has traveled with me to Germany, Italy, Mexico, Aruba, Hawaii, and a bunch of other states. If you ever want to take it on a plane, it easily fits in overhead bins.
2011 Taylor 814ce
2015 Taylor 356ce (12 string)
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70
Old 02-01-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I'm in the process of arranging to take a summer off of work, and spend two months road triping/ camping with my family before my kids turn into teenagers and realize they cant stand me. I think we will be using a truck box camper and a tent, so not a ton of space for 4 people, but as we all play I'm hoping to make room for at least one guitar. So which should I bring?

Vintage Yamaha: Smallest of the guitars and it sounds great, all laminate with no electronics, but its got some pretty wore down frets and I've got things set as absolutely low as they will go to keep this guitar playable. Would likely be fine, but if anything shifts or wears down to much I could end up hauling around a barely playable guitar all summer... or just tossing it on a campfire somewhere in northern Saskatchewan.

Yamaha FG 830 12 string: Bigger guitar, all solid wood I believe. I would just set it up with 6 strings for the summer. Almost new but not a pricy guitar, no electronics.

Couple mid-range Godin's: Both nice sounding guitars, both well used so if they pick up a few more dings its no big deal, laminate backs and spruce tops, they've got electronics. One is a mini Jumbo with a soft case so its less bulky but I'd have to make sure nothing gets stacked on top of it.

Any suggestions?
The FG830 isn’t all solid, it has a solid top and laminate back and sides.

Old 02-01-2022, 07:37 AM

For a trip like that, I'd be tempted to look into a carbon fiber guitar.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

I'd throw in a Voyage-Air VAOM-02 basic entry level folding OM size guitar. All laminate. Sounds much better than it has a right to? That is if you're looking to buy something new/used for that purpose.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion