The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2022, 03:28 PM

Default NGD -- '70's Yamaha "Snakehead" FG-170

I'm a sucker for these old Yamaha "Snakehead guitars and owned one for a while. My previous Yamaha was a dread (FG 200). This one is the smaller, "folk" style body (very similar to the current FS shape). I don't really need another guitar right now, but I couldn't resist it at the price he was asking.

The good: No real structural issues, with one possible exception, in overall excellent shape with only a few nicks and dings. Sounds great, even with dead strings on it. And they are dead. Previous owner upgraded the tuners to Schallers, which is great because the tuners on these are kind of hit-and-miss. There were about 20 Fender "Heavy" celluloid picks and a Kyser capo in the case pocket.

The bad: Action is a little high, and there's not much saddle left. But even though adjusting the truss rod isn't usually the best solution for that, there is more relief in the neck than I would like (not warped or anything, but certainly enough to improve the action if the truss rod can be adjusted). The case is worthless -- busted up chipboard that is literally going in the trash. But I don't need a case -- I have a nice, empty gig bag.

I don't know how to post pics -- I don't use any photo services but might be able to put them on Google Drive or something. I'm pretty excited overall, and am looking forward to changing the strings, setting it up, and bonding with a new friend.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:15 PM

Nice find best of luck getting it back in shape.

Not a snakehead, but I was recently fortunate enough to re-aquire the very SJ-180 (probably made in early 80's) that was my first guitar. It sounds way better than I remember it sounding, really darn good actually. After some tweaks its playing pretty well too, I probably could take the bridge down a smidge more but both me and my oldest daughter are making that old guitar sing pretty good right now.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:05 PM

I have a soft spot for those old Yamahas too. I have four of them, a 160 (which is the larger body), a 170 like yours, a 110, which is like the 170 only with different b/s wood, and a classical G-50. The Japanese Nippon Gakki models get all the attention, but the real sleepers are the early Taiwan made ones, which sound just as good and can be had for far less.

Enjoy!!
Old 01-26-2022, 05:49 AM

I've craved the old CJs for a long time too. The same guy I bought the 170 from was selling a Japan-made classical at a similar bargain, but I just couldn't do it. My wife let this one slide, but getting two in the door would have been pushing it! But vintage Yamahas are way underappreciated.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:31 AM

Could you post a photo of the "snake head"? I'm unfamiliar with the term...
Old 01-26-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
Could you post a photo of the "snake head"? I'm unfamiliar with the term...
This is not my guitar, but the same model. Note the taper of the headstock.

https://reverb.com/item/46952556-yam...-case-21205659
Old 01-26-2022, 11:52 AM

Careful adjusting the truss rod - I recently got a fg330 - 45 years old and busted the truss rod tightening it. If I had to do it again I would lubricate the nut overnight, then gently back it off to make sure the nut wasn't frozen and then bit by bit tighten it up over a few days - good luck.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the advice, Retired1. There was plenty of room on the truss rod and I was careful and adjusted in small increments after oiling. As I had hoped, the adjustment fixed the action by reducing the neck relief.

I strung her up with silk and steel lights -- and initially thought I had made a poor choice. I am used to .011's" on an electric, but not an acoustic. But after allowing them to settle down, I am happy with the playability and sound. This is a really great guitar. I have a Baggs Anthem SL that I removed from the last guitar I sold, and I think I will install it in this one. I am not much of a fingerstyle player, but have been trying to learn and improve. This is a great vehicle for that.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:15 PM

I have a really unusual FG-170 purchased on ebay maybe 10 or 15 years ago. I suspect it was made for a trade show exhibit.

[IMG]Cutaway Yamaha FG170 acoustic guitar 1 by centerpunch, on Flickr[/IMG]

New Yamaha FGX5 (love it!)
Vintage Yamahas: FG-1500 * FG-2500 * FG-500 (3) * FG-550 (2)
Modified FG-630 (Rickenbacker stringing)
Newish Stratocaster * Rickenbacker 660-12
Gibson EB-0 Bass * Vagabond travel guitar
Yamaha Classical (I forget which!)
Old 02-09-2022, 03:51 PM

Yikes! I like a sound port as much as the next guy, but....
Old 02-09-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerpunch View Post
I have a really unusual FG-170 purchased on ebay maybe 10 or 15 years ago. I suspect it was made for a trade show exhibit.

[IMG]Cutaway Yamaha FG170 acoustic guitar 1 by centerpunch, on Flickr[/IMG]
The tone may be lacking a little but changing strings must be a whole lot easier!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion