The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-03-2014, 09:00 AM

Default Have You Played Martin M-36 and Taylor 818e?

If anyone has played either the Martin M-36 or the Taylor 818e, please comment and describe to me your thoughts on these instruments. I have yet to play the M-36 but I want a new steel string for acoustic solo fingerstyle work. I have a great Guild dreadnought and I'm not looking for a dreadnought. I want a great playing guitar for my performer live. The Taylor is gorgeous and it sounded fantastic.

I'm looking for thoughts here more about the M-36. If you convince me, I'll probably go visit Martin. The dealers don't normally carry the M-36 or at least I can't find one that I can get to that has one. I will not buy one sight-feel unseen.

Thanks,

Email signup for News: https://www.facebook.com/DavidLWhite...00265896690345

Taylor 818e Grand Orchestra Rosewood Back and Sides
Taylor 214ce-n Grand Auditorium Nylon
Guild DV-52 Dreadnought Steel String
Yamaha CG172SF Flamenco/Classical Nylon
Stratocaster Copy
Squier P-Bass
Old 10-03-2014, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

To me, the M 36 is one of the best all around guitars ever. I've played one for fifteen years. Mine is a 1980, and I don't see why they haven't been more popular. If you don't need a wider fingerboard, the M36 will finger pick with balance and clarity. Comfortable to play too.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:20 AM

Default Have You Played Martin M-36 and Taylor 818e?

The 818 has a bigger soundboard and is deeper, not sure an m36 is a great comparison, a J40 might be closer. That said, the m36 would also likely be a lot more comfortable to play.

Ive never played an 818 but have played a few m36s. It's the perfect size but I couldn't get used to the 1 11/16 nut or the bright white bound fingerboard. I am considering a custom 0000 instead.

We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
To me, the M 36 is one of the best all around guitars ever. I've played one for fifteen years. Mine is a 1980, and I don't see why they haven't been more popular. If you don't need a wider fingerboard, the M36 will finger pick with balance and clarity. Comfortable to play too.
I am on the fence about this because when I started my quest for my dream guitar, I had Martin on the brain because I've been playing since 1966 and yes Martins are very nice guitars. I recently played an HD-35 and it didn't sound as nice as my Guild DV-52 that I've had for some time. I then tried the Taylor at the same place and I was floored. The acoustic sound was broad and I liked that. I want sound and the dreadnoughts are mid-range heavy I think. I didn't play the Taylor plugged in and that's the reason I want a new guitar. I want this dream guitar for playing again live. I'm really leaning towards taking a trip to Martin and trying their electronics. The M-36 says electronics optional.

Do you pickup or mic your guitar? I'm going to get a Fish-stick thing for my PA to start.

David

Stratocaster Copy
Squier P-Bass
Old 10-03-2014, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

I've played them both. The Martin M-36 that I played at my dealer sounded good with a decent balance and Martin tone but not anything spectacular. I had a new 2013 Taylor 818e First Edition, and I've played a couple of 2014 Taylor 818e axes including a First Edition. This guitar model, whether a 2013 or 2014, sounds balanced but everything is very dynamic and rich-sounding, and exhibits what I term, Exploding Tone Syndrome, which is the notes and chords explode off the guitar (I traded-in my 2012 Martin D-18 for the 2013 Taylor 528 First Edition I currently own). The Taylor Grand Orchestra model, regardless of its tonewood combination, has a distinct and rich tone that I feel will please most guitarists. If its bigger size isn't a problem, I highly recommend players give the Taylor Grand Orchestra an audition!

Regards,

SpruceTop

P.S. Why did I trade-in my 2013 Taylor 818e First Edition? I wanted a 2014 model with the new Expression System 2.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-03-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I've played them both. The Martin M-36 that I played at my dealer sounded good with a decent balance and Martin tone but not anything spectacular. I had a new 2013 Taylor 818e First Edition, and I've played a couple of 2014 Taylor 818e axes including a First Edition. This guitar model, whether a 2013 or 2014, sounds balanced but everything is very dynamic and rich-sounding, and exhibits what I term, Exploding Tone Syndrome, which is the notes and chords explode off the guitar (I traded-in my 2012 Martin D-18 for the 2013 Taylor 528 First Edition I currently own). The Taylor Grand Orchestra model, regardless of its tonewood combination, has a distinct and rich tone that I feel will please most guitarists. If its bigger size isn't a problem, I highly recommend players give the Taylor Grand Orchestra an audition!

Regards,

SpruceTop

P.S. Why did I trade-in my 2013 Taylor 818e First Edition? I wanted a 2014 model with the new Expression System 2.
The biggest one, the grand orchestra is the one I played. I compared the experience to when I was in my late 20's I went to a bike shop and rode an expensive mountain bike. I was floored at how nice it was. It was much better than a 20" BMX I had when I was a kid. The Martin HD-35 let me down. They stand on tradition and not changing anything much. The Grand Orchestra was just that, "a Grand Orchestra" that had others in the room with me listening when I started to play. I'm still getting my money together and it made me sick to leave and not buy it that day. If the M-36 doesn't have the same acoustic volume I am going to stand on the decision of my ear and that's the Taylor.

Stratocaster Copy
Squier P-Bass
Old 10-03-2014, 01:24 PM

Default M36, j40, 818

The Taylor 818 is a bigger guitar than an M36.

I played an 818 in a store awhile back (just one time, as they are rare) and yes, as you said, it can "floor" you. BIG sound. Much bigger than my 714CE.

I owned an M36 and really liked it. Perhaps the most tonally balanced guitar I have ever owned or played. What a great guitar, but as Jaraxle mentioned, my personal dislikes were the 1 11/16 nut and the bright white binding.

The M36 body is smaller than an 818--
20 inches long (vs 20 5/8)
16 wide (vs 16 3/4)
4 inches deep (vs 5).
This last measurement is crucial in my assessment.
An inch deeper body is likely to change things dramatically.

Again, I think Jarlaxle has a good point:
"The 818 has a bigger soundboard and is deeper, not sure an m36 is a great comparison, a J40 might be closer."

My buddy has a J40 and it has a MUCH BIGGER tone and volume than did my M36.
The M36 and J40 have the same body shape and dimensions except the body depth (4" vs 4 13/16) while the Taylor 818 is 3/16 deeper than the J40.
So the 818 is likely to outgun the M36 simply on cubic inches, let alone other considerations.

I say, check out a J40 to compare to the 818, if you can find one.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:32 PM

I own a Taylor 818e......it's got a 16 3/4" lower bout and a 5" deep body.

If you want to compare a Martin with that size and power to a Taylor 818e,
I think Harry's Guitar Shop in Raleigh still has a new (discontinued model) Martin J-35e (17" body) in stock.

I've played that Martin at Harry's, and almost bought it. I bought an 818e at Harry's instead, but I would have been very happy with either one.

Harry's isn't far from Fuquay. (you may have already been there!)

http://harrysguitarshop.com/Martin-J...ic-Guitar.html

(I don't work for Harry, I'm just a happy customer!)

Last edited by 73171; 10-03-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73171 View Post
I own a Taylor 818e......it's got a 16 3/4" lower bout and a 5" deep body.

If you want to compare a Martin with that size and power to a Taylor 818e,
I think Harry's Guitar Shop in Raleigh still has a new (discontinued model) Martin J-35e (17" body) in stock.

I've played that Martin at Harry's, and almost bought it. I bought an 818e at Harry's instead, but I would have been very happy with either one.

Harry's isn't far from Fuquay. (you may have already been there!)

http://harrysguitarshop.com/Martin-J...ic-Guitar.html

(I don't work for Harry, I'm just a happy customer!)
Wow. Thanks. I have been to Harry's. They had dreads and didn't have an M-36 so I didn't pay much attention at the time. I'm going to be able to buy my dream guitar this year and I want to pick the right one. I'm going to get two actually and the electric nylon could come from Taylor as well. So that's why I'm still leaning toward the Taylor. I want both to be electric so I can use them to perform live.

Stratocaster Copy
Squier P-Bass
Old 10-03-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWhitehurst View Post
Wow. Thanks. I have been to Harry's. They had dreads and didn't have an M-36 so I didn't pay much attention at the time. I'm going to be able to buy my dream guitar this year and I want to pick the right one. I'm going to get two actually and the electric nylon could come from Taylor as well. So that's why I'm still leaning toward the Taylor. I want both to be electric so I can use them to perform live.

FYI
The Martin J-35e at Harry's also has a built in pickup. I didn't play it plugged in, but it's acoustic tone is really good.

I bought the Taylor 818e instead because:
1) Even though it's a super jumbo, it's not as round as the Martin or a Gibson J200. It's easier to hold.
2) I like the tone.
3) I've owned Martins in the past and wanted something different.

(I really wanted to buy BOTH of them!)
Old 10-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

I've been a Martin Man for the better part of the last 40 years and I've had countless high-end ones. I have, however, become really attracted to Taylors during the last couple of years. They're easy-playing and the tone is well-balanced but still resonant for all their body shapes. Frankly, I feel that everyone should always have at least one Martin on hand out of tradition and I feel compelled to buy one again ( HD-28E Retro) but a new Taylor 818e or K28e will be my next purchase.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Default yes!!!

Taylor's new big guitars sound HUGE!!...and Martin's OOOO size guitars are their best kept secret!!
Old 10-03-2014, 05:11 PM

I've had my J-40 for almost 25 years now. After its recent neck reset it has finally become the guitar it really should have been from the custom shop all those years ago. I think that the J-40 is a more balanced tonally for finger picking than Martin dreadnoughts because of the pinched waist, yet they hold their own nicely in bluegrass jams too. I have some limited experience with M-36's and they just sound "smaller". Not bad, just not as WOW compared to the J's. I think a direct comparison between an M-36 and a OOO-28EC (a good one, since they vary) would be quite interesting

I've only played the Taylor x18 or GO series a couple of times. My overall impression with either the 618 (maple) or 818 (rosewood) was "way too boomy" and more than a little biased toward the bass. I would opt for an 816 GS before an 818 GO, because of the better overall tone balance. To me the x16 or GS body is just right - more powerful acoustically than the GA size and easier to hold than the GO size. But everyone hears things a bit differently.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:20 PM

I have a 718e First Edition with Adirondack bracing and to me it is deeper sounding than my HD28V with Adirondack top. Taylors expression systems have a great sound as well.
[/B]"What does it profit a man to gain (all the greatest guitars in) the world and lose his soul" Paraphrased
Old 10-03-2014, 09:39 PM

I came very close to buying an M36 about 8 months ago - played it, liked it, went back to the store a week later with my credit card all shined up ready to buy but the narrow neck and slightly quieter sound confirmed that I liked my 2012 D18 better. If it had a 1&3/4 neck though I think I would have bought it. Nice guitar, good tone etc. but didn't quite do it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion