The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2022, 04:35 PM

John Pearse make a Bluegrass set 12-56 that do exactly that. Elixir has the same set in Nanoweb, both 80/20 and PB. I prefer PB for the warmth of the wounds. The 56 gives a good bass tone and the 12 give the bright tone

This!
Old 02-08-2022, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

80/20s can brighten up a guitar; I have used them on one of mine to achieve this. I tried three different brands - Martin, Newtone and Ernie Ball. While I usually like Martin and Newtone strings, their 80/20s sounded brittle on this guitar. Fortunately the Ernie Ball Earthwoods sound great. They give the guitar some extra brightness without any brittleness and so possibly achieving that warmth you mention.

But…. strings that sound great on one guitar don’t necessarily sound great on another guitar . I found this out with GHS Thin Cores. Tried them on one guitar and was not impressed at all. Then I tried them on a guitar by a different maker and was blown away!

So my 2 cents? Try 80/20s. Start with the Ernie Ball Earthwood silk and steels but be prepared to experiment a bit.

Last edited by colins; 02-08-2022 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-08-2022, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I think you have articulated well and that isn't an easy thing to do when describing what we hear in these strings.

I also agree with your statement.
Thank you for communicating that to me; I appreciated it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
. . . Fortunately the Ernie Ball Earthwoods sound great. They give the guitar some extra brightness without any brittleness and so possibly achieving that warmth you mention.

<snip>

So my 2 cents? Try 80/20s. Start with the Ernie Ball Earthwood. . .
thanks for that heads up. i have a set of earthwoods here but have not tried them yet. i think it was Bruce's recommendation that first got my attention; thanks for your endorsement as well. will put these on soon!

i will say, as an aside, while i loved experimenting with strings (and kinda still do), i appreciate knowing what works for me now. it is nice to throw a set on and get exactly what you were looking for, innit
Old 02-10-2022, 12:34 PM

Ebony bridge pins took some edge off for me on both my 00018 and my OM28V.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:04 PM

Daddario Ej17īs
Old 02-10-2022, 01:15 PM

John Pearse bronze

Super bright for 2 hours THAN
becomes extremely warm!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion