The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2022, 10:04 AM

Default Just talked to Gibson

So all good. Just got off of the phone with Gibson. It's an L-00 Studio and confirmed "walnut" back, sides, and fingerboard. Interesting that at some point they started to stamp "WALNUT" on the label, but not this particular model.

The guitar really is nice sounding, especially considering the smaller size. I was initially trying to sell my Eastman that I traded for it. This one is almost pristine with a little bit of buckle rash on the back. But I care more about how a guitar plays/sounds than how it looks. This one has both! I figure I'll play it awhile and probably sell it at some point. I always love changing the strings, conditioning the fretboard, giving it a good polish! This one needed a quarter turn on the truss rod too, but it's PERFECT now!

Thanks again for all the advice/info,
Marcus
Old 02-09-2022, 04:37 PM

Interesting. And congratulations! I just bought the same model guitar used from a local guy, with a wife and a couple kids. He said the had bought it new from Guitar Center and it was a 2019. It's a 2021 after I deciphered the Gibson serial numbers. Wacky stuff. I'm a Martin guy, never appreciated Gibbys, but I love this little walnut dude. It was love at first strum. It's in for a setup now. The frets were rough and the action not optimal, which I expect from a new factory guitar. I feel bad for the extremely nice guy that I bought it from as he never had it setup. So, good purchase my fellow guitar player! You did well!
Old 02-09-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood99 View Post
The big question is how does it sound? If it sounds great who cares what it is?
Well, I could think of a few reasons. Getting what you paid for, counterfeiting impacts on a US business to name a couple.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-09-2022, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient tones View Post
Interesting. And congratulations! I just bought the same model guitar used from a local guy, with a wife and a couple kids. He said the had bought it new from Guitar Center and it was a 2019. It's a 2021 after I deciphered the Gibson serial numbers. Wacky stuff. I'm a Martin guy, never appreciated Gibbys, but I love this little walnut dude. It was love at first strum. It's in for a setup now. The frets were rough and the action not optimal, which I expect from a new factory guitar. I feel bad for the extremely nice guy that I bought it from as he never had it setup. So, good purchase my fellow guitar player! You did well!
I actually traded a very comparable valued guitar, an Eastman E20OM-TC. A VERY nice guitar, but I had decided to sell it and it is still a tougher sell than a Gibson in the Atlanta market. I'll probablly sell this one after I've had my way with it . I don't think the guy I traded with had it set up either. I used a straigtedge with fret cut outs (something EVERY acoustic player should have IMHO) and it had the SLIGHTEST of backbow in it. Literally two minutes and a quarter turn of the truss rod made EVERYTHING much nicer action wise.

If anyone in the Atlanta area is interested in trying it out, shoot me a message and I will spread the Gibson gospel so to speak. Always like to meet people that actually know how to play a guitar (unlike me LOL).

Marcus
Old 02-09-2022, 09:01 PM

When I bought my J-45 the seller sent me the serial number at my request.
I called Gibson customer service and they verified that the guitar was indeed what the seller had said it was.
Gibson customer service was excellent and seemed genuinely happy to help and provide the information I asked for and more. I thought their service was hard to beat but it provided me with the peace of mind to go ahead with the purchase.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:20 PM

I have to agree they were very helpful with me as well. He said they were in Nashville, so central time zone should you ever need to call.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion