The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2022, 12:25 PM

Default Eastman PCH cutaway vs Taylor 114ce

I’ve been toying with the idea of getting my first cutaway guitar. I don’t need or want electronics but I could live with the Taylor’s because they aren’t very noticeable, aside from the little wheels. I think the Eastman has some in most models but I’m not entirely educated on them yet. I used to have an Eastman mandolin and liked it a lot.

I’ve been looking at the Eastman PCH and the 114ce. Both have lam b/s and solid tops. The Taylor is a lot more expensive because it’s a Taylor, but is it that much better? Or any better at all?

I’d be curious to hear from owners of these models. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2022, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

My introduction to Eastman guitars was an AC120ce, a cutaway dread - solid top / lam b&s .. very similar to the current PCH series..

For the money it was an excellent guitar.. I would recommend it.

You may also find the PCH series offers more choices in body styles and finishes - all for significantly less money.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
I’ve been toying with the idea of getting my first cutaway guitar. I don’t need or want electronics but I could live with the Taylor’s because they aren’t very noticeable, aside from the little wheels. I think the Eastman has some in most models but I’m not entirely educated on them yet. I used to have an Eastman mandolin and liked it a lot.

I’ve been looking at the Eastman PCH and the 114ce. Both have lam b/s and solid tops. The Taylor is a lot more expensive because it’s a Taylor, but is it that much better? Or any better at all?

I’d be curious to hear from owners of these models. Thanks.
If you want to stay in the same price bracket you should be comparing the AC122-1CE to the Taylor 114. The Ac122 comes in at just under 700$ with a solid top and solid sapele b/s and a padded gig bag. Its really not much of a contest. The AC122 is going to be louder, with a lot better low end and a fuller sound. If the AC122 had Taylors name on the headstock it would be a 1400-2.5k guitar.

The main differences is going to be the C shaped neck on the Eastman. Its pretty beefy. You should try it out before you buy. The taylor will have a bolt on neck. The Eastman is a glued neck.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:59 AM

I’m pretty new to acoustic playing so don’t view this as sage advice from someone who knows what they’re talking about…

First acoustic I got was a PCH GACE. I liked the sound but never felt “comfortable” playing it compared to, say, my G&L. Then tried a Taylor 110ce and it just clicked with me. I assume it’s a preference for the Taylor neck shape. Will probably move the PCH along at some point as the 110 gets all my acoustic attention currently

The other difference is nut width. Taylor 100 series is 1 11/16 vs 1 3/4 for the PCHs

My 110 wasn’t much more than my PCH but the comfort level when playing is well worth the price difference to me. If you can try both you may find a strong preference for one neck over the other one way or the other also
Old 02-09-2022, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Well… I had a Taylor 110e. The dread version. In my opinion, you can’t compare the much higher quality Taylor with the lower price Eastman. It’s more expensive because it is much better.

I am not an Eastman hater, I have owned several. But the new Taylor is unlikely to have any QC problems, and will sound great.
Old 02-09-2022, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

I'm not out to Taylor bash, (I currently have three, and am happy with THOSE) but would take my Eastman PCH any day over an entry level Taylor. They are laminated, and Chinese made (if that bothers you) but are top quality in build and materials. Honestly, it plays and sounds as good as almost anything in my stable. And at the price, I'm not afraid to tote it around, or play it by the fire. They are an incredible value in their price range, and a few others. I had AcousticMusicWorks (fellow AGFer and friend) put a K&K in a PCH dred, and still got it shipped for about a third of a Taylor entry model.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-09-2022, 06:31 AM

There is also an AC122 with a cedar top as well.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:44 AM

i would not bother with Taylor laminate/layered B&S guitars (or Martin for that matter) - get the Eastman PCH and when you're ready to upgrade get an all-solid Taylor 300-series or higher.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
i would not bother with Taylor laminate/layered B&S guitars (or Martin for that matter) - get the Eastman PCH and when you're ready to upgrade get an all-solid Taylor 300-series or higher.
I like the 300 series but I really like the matte finish on the 100 and 200 line. I think the 300 has matte b/s, or at least they used to back in the day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion