The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2024, 07:48 AM

Default Johnny Winter: A Masterclass in Slide Guitar

On assignment for Guitar Player magazine, I met with Johnny Winter in 1984 to discuss the art of slide guitar. Johnny, always gracious and accommodating, dove deep into the subject. He discussed his introduction to slide, the prewar Delta blues musicians who inspired him, various tunings, when and how to damp the strings, how he sets up his guitar for slide, sliding on acoustic vs. electric guitars, working with Muddy Waters, and other aspects of this style of guitar playing.

If you'd like to read his views, I've just posted a complete transcription of our conversation:

https://jasobrecht.substack.com/p/jo...iew-the-art-of
Old 04-19-2024, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Thanks. I will enjoy reading your transcription.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:24 AM

I really enjoyed the interview, especially since I'm now on about my umpteenth attempt at learning to play slide.

I spent my first 37 years in Texas, and have been a blues fan since I first heard a Lightnin' Hopkins record in '68. I got to see many of the greats over the next several decades.

A favorite Johnny Winter memory: Sometime, probably in the early '80s in Houston, I hopped into my car - the radio was always on the NPR station, KPFT. Back then it was called Pacifica I think. Anyway, there was an interview in progress, and they were talking about the blues. I had no idea who was being interviewed, but he sounded like a very scholarly person, maybe someone who had written a well-researched book. Finally, after about 20 minutes of hearing this guy's refined voice discussing the history of the blues, etc the interviewer said "I want to thank Johnny Winter for coming on the show today".

The part of Texas JW is from is not known for erudition and scholarly discourse using elevated forms of language without a noticeable accent, and I'm pretty sure he had not pursued any form of higher education. Just goes to show how wrong stereotypes can be, and that Bo Diddley was right when he sang "You can't judge a book by lookin' at the cover!"

The passing, almost weekly it seems, of those who created and continued the roots music we grew up with or discovered as we went along through life is sad. I'm convinced, though, that the blues, jazz, bluegrass, old time, folk and country music itself will ebb and flow for a long, long time.

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies

Last edited by SCVJ; 04-19-2024 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Thank you for sharing this, it’s excellent!
d
Old 04-19-2024, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the article! Very informative interview.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Thanks! Johnny is a favorite.
Old 04-19-2024, 05:01 PM

Thanks for that link.....fairly sure I read your original....will check later!

Want a Johnny Winter story?

He was playing in my city but at a fairly dodgy hall and I just did not want to go to that err....dump again.....

But at the last minute I got itchy feet and asked the Better Half if she wanted to go. Nope.

So I went alone! Running latish and tight. All the parking was full, drove around and around and eventually parked out the back in an area you would normally like a Seal Team protection....very dark street with trees covering the lighting.

Walked n to the pay booth, saw every guitarist I knew!

So after the previous gig in another state, a ‘music writer’ slammed JW for ‘playing too many solos’.

Huh?

And what can JW say to that?

Nothing!

His first tune of the night was an endless guitar solo in JW style....many, many, many, many blues progressions until he stepped to the mic and did his patented ‘Alright!’

After the gig and converse with guitar players here and there, I walked back to my car in the dark street.......and passed a bus with JW sitting on the steps signing records! I said hello and babbled something insensible....

BluesKing777.
Old 04-19-2024, 05:30 PM

Thanks for posting the link to the article. Interesting read.

whm
Old 04-19-2024, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

I am not a Johnny Winter fan but really liked Highway 61 at the Crossroads festival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNW0pioGSFU
Old 04-19-2024, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

I saw him in his prime in the mid 70s. I was always a big fan of his white Firebird V.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Saw him in Chicago, spring of 1968, along with Edgar, and then in September 2009 in Sausalito. Great performances, with the only difference being his voice was mellower with age and he played sitting down. Johnny Winter And Live (with Rick Derringer) is one of my all time favorites. Thanks so much for the article!
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-20-2024, 05:28 AM

Thanks for posting, great interview. I always enjoyed his albums and concerts.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-20-2024, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Justa side note P: I believe tat playing bottleneck style on an acoustic is somewhat different to playing an electric.

Sees folks can play on 'lectrics with thin glass bottlenecks, but for acoustics, I'd suggest, that a heavy metal (sic) slide is preferable as the weight is all yu need against te strings, so yu play lightly with the fretting hand and put the power in the sound with your picking hand.

Here's a ramble I made that might be useful:

Old 04-20-2024, 06:43 AM

I remember that story in GP way back then. I met Johnny back in the early 90's at an outdoor show in Putnam County, NY. It was JW, Leon Russel and The Band. My best friend worked a pharmacy in Woodstock that was owned by Joe Forno who was the The Bands manager at the time. Got us backstage/all access passes. Was a great day. Rick Danko saw us carrying beers we had just paid for. He called us over and said dont buy beer, go in that trailer and help yourself. There was a big old cooler full. Big mistake. After the show, they all came in and found me and my buddy, drunk as could be and an empty cooler.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:00 PM

I did re-read the articles, thanks!

And it appears JW was human, not an alien.......and had to plod through finding out how to play slide on his...own.

I assumed at the time that he could just do it.

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion