The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-23-2024, 05:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Troy (my assumption)
I use a 50' dish for my top, and build off of that. All of my top brace ar curved to match the dish EXCEPT for the UTB, which I approximate double the radius on. I do this by eye. I do this to stiffen the upper bout as I want it to resist resonance. I do not understand where your gap occurred. Between what and what? Is the center of the FB making contact but not the sides? When I glue on my FB it is w/o a playing surface, and I can clamp it on the edges which may distort it but it doesn't matter at that point. I have never noticed a problem. I do think your top radius works better for a modern guitar than for a traditional guitar.
Bruce
Old 04-23-2024, 05:57 PM

Thanks Bruce. My gap was between the edge of the fretboard and the top as you said. The middle of the fretboard was tight to the top, but the edges of the fretboard didn't close unless I strategically scraped a "bowl" on the underside of the fretboard to match the top if I remember correctly. Perhaps I will investigate the use of a larger radius. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-25-2024, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

I agree with all of Tadol's comments on the various guitars he recently played again at Bruce's shop. I've played them too, with the exception of Dread Lightning, and couldn't have described them any better. I also think the Olive guitar might be the prettiest I've ever seen.

Another thought I forgot to mention that might be of use to anyone here considering a custom build....IMO the Schertler tuners are the way to go. Over the years I've had guitars with just about every tuner out there, including all the ones Bruce has used on his list. The Schertlers are the smoothest and most accurate open backed tuners I've ever had, and are some of the lightest available as well. They are the only open backed machines that compare in performance to the Gotoh 510 sealed back models, which are my reference standard for a smooth and accurate tuner.

If someone just has to have the the more traditional Waverly look, I'd suggest going with Gotoh's latest version of that type. They look nearly identical to the Waverlies (though the plated finish is not quite as fine), but function better due to a different post/bushing design.

Last edited by Palladio; 04-26-2024 at 09:13 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop