The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2024, 06:29 PM

Default How long does it take to cedar to open up?

Compared to other tone woods, would you say half as long, two thirds as long, or something else?
Old 04-19-2024, 06:44 PM

I think you will find it more "opened up" right from the beginning and you should not expect as dramatic changes over time as you might hear from spruce.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:47 PM

The answer to your question is going to depend on believing that wood 'opens' up'

It's by no means a unanimous belief as no doubt you're about to read...
Old 04-19-2024, 07:09 PM

Cedar tends to have a more blooming, warm, and enveloping sound right off the get go, to my ears. A lot different than the more articulate and punchy spruces. But as for opening up, JKA makes a fair point. Is "opening up" just "settling in" or just "drying out"? Very hard to quantify.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have had my cedar topped guitar for 20 years and it’s never changed in tone at all. It is as brilliant and lush as the day I acquired it. I can say the same for my all mahogany guitar.
My two custom built guitars have spruce tops and went through some “settling in” over the first year of playing them.
Best,
Jayne
Old 04-19-2024, 07:20 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

I mean, that all depends... which cedar, specifically?

African Pencil Cedar?
Alaska Cedar?
Australian Red Cedar?
Central American Cedar?
Incense Cedar?
Japanese Cedar?
Lebanon Cedar?
Pink Cedar?
Port Orford Cedar?
Red Cedar?
Red Eastern Cedar?
Red Southern Cedar?
Red Western Cedar?
Spanish Cedar?
White Atlantic Cedar?
White Northern Cedar?
Old 04-19-2024, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
I mean, that all depends... which cedar, specifically?

African Pencil Cedar?
Alaska Cedar?
Australian Red Cedar?
Central American Cedar?
Incense Cedar?
Japanese Cedar?
Lebanon Cedar?
Pink Cedar?
Port Orford Cedar?
Red Cedar?
Red Eastern Cedar?
Red Southern Cedar?
Red Western Cedar?
Spanish Cedar?
White Atlantic Cedar?
White Northern Cedar?
Red western cedar. But I guess the consensus is that the way it sounds now is the way it’s gonna sound years from now. Which is fine.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:08 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickster View Post
Red western cedar. But I guess the consensus is that the way it sounds now is the way it’s gonna sound years from now. Which is fine.
I suspect if the tone of the red cedar doesn't change, your hearing will. Either way, I suspect it will sound different at some point. The question is, how will you know if the tone changed, or your hearing changed? And if you hear it consistently over the coming years, how will you know WHEN it changes?

Seemingly out of nowhere, he picked up the guitar he'd been playing regularly for the past 14 years, and at 3:33pm on Saturday, November 17th, 2039 he strummed an open G chord and exclaimed, "Finally! This cedar guitar top has opened up!"
Old 04-19-2024, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I think you will find it more "opened up" right from the beginning and you should not expect as dramatic changes over time as you might hear from spruce.
This is in line with my experiences with cedar tops.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-19-2024, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I suspect if the tone of the red cedar doesn't change, your hearing will. Either way, I suspect it will sound different at some point. The question is, how will you know if the tone changed, or your hearing changed? And if you hear it consistently over the coming years, how will you know WHEN it changes?

Seemingly out of nowhere, he picked up the guitar he'd been playing regularly for the past 14 years, and at 3:33pm on Saturday, November 17th, 2039 he strummed an open G chord and exclaimed, "Finally! This cedar guitar top has opened up!"
Couldn’t you say that about every kind of guitar?
Old 04-19-2024, 09:40 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickster View Post
Couldn’t you say that about every kind of guitar?
Indeed, you could.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:52 PM

Quote:

Why imply that it is about type of Cedar in one post and then claim that it is about hearing in another?
Old 04-20-2024, 05:44 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
Why imply that it is about type of Cedar in one post and then claim that it is about hearing in another?
I was not serious about the types of cedar.

I can't believe I have to explain that.
Old 04-20-2024, 05:57 AM

Luckily I don’t notice subtle changes in tone. Maybe it happens as the cedar darkens.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 04-20-2024, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

I acquired my first cedar-topped guitar only recently, so I have no first-hand experience of how cedar might change over time, however, I've owned enough vintage instruments topped with spruce and other woods to become convinced that time and playing improve their sound. It only makes sense.

Instruments that are played for several decades just don't sound like new ones. Does anyone really believe that Itzhak Perlman's Stradivari violin doesn't sound any better than it did when it first came off the bench in 1714?

I have no empirical proof that guitars 'open up' and until someone invents a way take a guitar back in time to compare it to itself when new, I don't think there will ever be a way to prove it.

However, I think the guitar I've played for 15 years sounds better, but what I can say with certainty is that my satisfaction with its sound has absolutely improved. Perhaps that's all anyone can say conclusively about whether or not guitars 'open up'.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.

Last edited by jmagill; 04-21-2024 at 05:22 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion