The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2001, 02:12 PM

Thumbs up my new 514CE

Hey, hey, hey! I bit the bullet and traded my 512 and some $ for a new 514CE. I'm stunned at the playability of the new NT construction as well as the tone of the instrument. This is my 3rd Taylor. My 1st was a dynamite 710 model which I sold to get something better tonally for fingerpicking and get wider neck. When I 1st picked up this 514 I immediately knew I had to have it. It's THAT good; rich, deep, plenty loud, and the great electrics are a nice bonus. I feel so lucky right now. I'm in sonic nervana! I like the Koa rosette and the rosewood binding. I would have rather had the Diamond inlay instead of the small dots but hey, I ain't complainin'. I can not remember ever hearing a better sounding acoustic guitar, and I've heard a LOT of em.
Gregc
Old 06-12-2001, 03:13 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thumbs up

Congratulations! Please give us a review once you've had some time to break that baby in!

J.R.
Old 06-12-2001, 03:22 PM

Glad you're happy with it. The guitar I'm Jones'in for is a 512, no cutout, no electronics, just a nice guitar. I don't understand why Taylor, however, is eliminating some models & replacing them with cut-out only. Most of the stuff I play is played below the 14th fret & I like the looks of a non-cutaway guitar better myself.
Old 06-12-2001, 04:53 PM

I understand your sensabilities. I thought the same thing when I bought my 512. ****, if I knew you were looking I would have made mentioned before trading mine in. The 512 is comfy to play and a great blues guitar, IMO. Turns out I needed something more.
I play in a rather 'loud' band now so the electrics will definately get use, and I appreciate the extra acoustic volume of the 514 as I use only my fingertips to play.

gregc
Old 06-13-2001, 12:46 AM

Hey Gregc, I just got a 514c but I special ordered it without the "E" and without a pickguard, too. I know that may seem dangerous for a cedar top, but I plan to use it strictly for fingerstyle. Unlike the trustfunder cowboy in the Taylor ads, it took more than 37 seconds to decide on this particular model. In fact, I spent several months checking out most of the major brands, including Martin, Breedlove, Guild, Lowden, etc., etc. However, I kept coming back to the 514c model as the one best suited for the style of playing that I am currently focusing on. The only other model that really caught my ear was the Taylor W14c, but in the end I couldn't justify the extra $500. I've only had it for a week, but so far I am very pleased with its tone and playability. I'll post an update in a few months. I must also add that I've been following this forum for several months and feeling the "Taylor Love." While it was the actual guitar that sold me on Taylor, it was very reassuring to read so many positive comments about Taylor guitars.

Cheers,
Jack
Old 06-13-2001, 06:39 AM

Congrats!
I bought a 2001 514CE about a month ago and have been really enjoying it! Last night I played it for the first time with our band...I still need to get used to using it amplified, and to learn how to use the electronics...but it still sounded pretty darned good!
Enjoy!
Old 06-15-2001, 07:37 PM

Cool

My 514CE is by far the most played Taylor I own. Mine is the 2000 model with the cedar top but I realy do like the 2001 with the Koa rosette. It is absolutly the most versitile Taylor in the safe. I like My K14 just a little better but not by much. Congrats on a fine purchace! Im sure you will love it. JW

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion