The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-03-2021, 01:51 PM

Default Alternative to Recharging Humidipaks

I didn’t want to hijack the recent "Humidipak Drip" thread and since I couldn’t find anything like this via search I thought I'd ask if anyone else has tried what I've been doing.

Instead of recharging Humidipaks after they've dried out I've been rotating them so they don't dry out. (Three in the case get swapped out for three that are in a sealed container alongside a smaller container of water.)

I swap 'em weekly in the winter, less often other times of the year.

Anyone else doing something like this? Doesn’t seem to let the paks ever dry out and keeps the case above 40% all winter and below 55% in the summer. (Seems like summer % should be lower with the AC going, but I suppose that’s another thread.)

Would love to hear if this has worked for anyone else -- or if anyone's had drips or other disasters. Is there any danger of over-hydrating the paks I'm keeping sealed up?

Andrew
Old 09-03-2021, 02:39 PM
Guest 02022022

deleted account

Last edited by Guest 02022022; 02-02-2022 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Mine would last a year, then I re-charged them. But Im not doing that anymore. Used once, as directed, I trust them. Just not worth ruining a 5k guitar trying to save a few bucks.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 09-03-2021, 03:03 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Yep, I’ve been doing it for the past few years. Rotating well before they dry out. Tossing them after they’ve been recharged twice just to be safe. Never had a problem. I’ve posted about my system (and this pic) many times on the forum. But based on some recent posts I’m nervous about pushing my luck…so I may just go back to the manufacturer’s recommendation. One and done. We’ll see…

”Stumblebum Blues” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
”Hydro Genesis” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
Old 09-03-2021, 05:28 PM

Default Recycling, not Replacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail View Post
you change them weekly?
isnt recommendation like all 3 months? weekly is costly even if you only got one guitar
That would be costly, but I’m swapping the ones in the case with the ones in the sealed container, going back and forth each week. So I’ve been using those six for the last 18 months or so.

Before that I was going through 2 or 3 sets a winter, so this is definitely cheaper.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the photo, Rev Roy. Your setup looks exactly like mine.

But I’m getting nervous about it, too, so might just go back to forking over the extra cash each winter. (As much as I like beating the system. <g>)
Old 09-04-2021, 03:11 PM

I find I can swap them quite a few times but they don't last forever. If they feel humid on the outside you have to replace then.
Old 09-04-2021, 03:37 PM

Default Thanks.

Thanks. That seems like a great rule of thumb.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:16 PM

I just buy then in bulk and throw them out when they dry out… they aren’t expensive
Old 09-04-2021, 04:45 PM

Think of the humidipack as your car's battery. Instead of running the humidipack completely dry and then recharging it, it is a lot easier to charge it as needed. To do that you need to measure the humidity in your case and add a wet sponge every time the humidity drop under ~45%.

I have humidipacks that are 2 years old and never require a full recharge using this method.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:43 AM

Thanks, Horus. Sounds like a good method with the sponge to recharge as needed.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Humidi-Pak Seasonal Wet-Dry-Wet Cycle

In the winter I replace my humidipaks just before they're totally depleted of moisture, then just I store those in ziplock bags inside Tupperware. When the summer comes these "almost dry" humidity-paks are now ready to pull moisture out of guitars/cases in the summer humidity. About by the end of the summer they're plump again with moisture, ready once more for the winter season. For me it's been an effective "cycle" without any "forced" recharging. The timing isn't always perfect of course so a few extra paks are needed depending on conditions. How long they work for any of us during a given season is, dependent on what your specific, local conditions are.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:16 AM

I have a few sets. Just like gmel555 above, when they start to get crunchy, I put them back in their sealed packs and swap them for a fresh set. In the summer, when the humidity is high, I put all the crunchy ones in a bowl, and allow them to absorb the moisture out of the air. Once recharged they go back in their sealed pack. I’ve had some develop a wet spot or the paper looks weak. Anything questionable gets tossed.

They are billed as a “two way humidity control system” so it makes sense that they can be recharged. I believe the key is to not let them completely dry out, and not recharge them too quickly.

Last edited by _Mike_; 09-06-2021 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Typo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion