The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-04-2021, 07:03 PM

Default Trivia: Cheap guitar, no ID

This isn't important, but just for fun: Some years back I bought a $70-ish dreadnought to mess around with open tunings. It came from a small local shop (The Guitar Works, no longer around). There is nothing on the headstock, nothing inside that I can see. The sales guy said it was a Johnson, but had no ID so a store could put its own name on there if it wanted to (?!).
For the price, I assume it's all-laminate. Even the frets seem cheap--by the color, they look like brass rather than nickel-silver. High action. Just curious--only a dimestore instrument, or could the Johnson story be true?
Old 09-05-2021, 02:27 AM

I had a Johnson dread, all laminate, light build, paper thin veneers over a light colored wood(?), sweetest trebles, gentle mids, deficient bass, cheap tuners, brass-ish, sharp frets. It had a label inside and 'Johnson' on the headstock.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:52 AM
Charter Member

It was quite possibly made in the factory that made the Johnson run of those guitars. Once the tooling is set up for a "named" OEM run it used to be quite common to do an unbranded run for shop branding. However, some of the bigger factories in China now use this production capacity for an own brand run. I think that they now have an internal market to aim at.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 09-05-2021, 07:41 AM

Is there anything stamped inside the sound hole where the neck meets the body (neck block)? Perhaps a serial number or manufacturer name?
Old 09-05-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Is there anything stamped inside the sound hole where the neck meets the body (neck block)? Perhaps a serial number or manufacturer name?
Nothing easily visible. The brace holding the truss nut does hide part of the neck block; maybe a dental mirror would show more. What Robin wrote does make sense, though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion