The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-04-2018, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

I just bought a D-18, and there is no other way to describe it strummed than "Big and Full". It sounds phenomenal. Most dreads would be good strumming guitars. I've heard that the Gibson J200 is actually relatively quiet for a jumbo, so that may not be what you're looking for. Taylor Grand Symphony body guitars (models that end in "6") are fantastic strumming guitars too - big and full with great bass response.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

I would get Bobby's 12 fret Goodall here in the AGF emporium. That guitar will hold its value and it seems like it has so much power you will have to adjust your strumming but have a cannon when you need an extra gear.
I have a couple powerful large Goodall's and with a light right hand they strum fine.

Or if you can't swing a boutique then I would consider the Gibson AJ's, long scale Martin over the ones you mentioned.
Watch out for boomy bass though. Some cannons have weak high E strings if you ever play top octave stuff.
Also, watch out for large guitars that only sound huge with medium ga. strings.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:27 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by markesquire View Post
I want to buy a nice acoustic guitar soon, and I could use some input. The vast majority of my playing is strumming. I occasionally fingerpick. I never flatpick.
When I hear that I think D28, D35, D-18 from Martin, or the Symphony size from Taylor (x16) or Gibson J-45/35/19/15. You could so the J-200, J-100 too of course, but those are bigger and boomier. I find the bigger ones ponderous, but you may not. Don't get a Hummingbird from Gibson though if you want loud. They are great strummers with a nice, solid chunky bass, but more often than not they aren't as loud as your Martin canons or a broken in Gibson slope-shouldered dread. I think the loudest guitar I ever played was a Martin D-35.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:34 PM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by markesquire View Post
So, I'm looking at bigger body guitars that sound BIG and FULL for strumming. What do you suggest?
A lot of great suggestions so far, so it comes down what works best for you. IMO, a pre-loved Bourgeois Slope D. Try one, you won't ever want to put it down. We bought from the AGF site and ours is a EIR/Adi and it has a BIG and FULL sound for strumming.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:18 PM

I don't think you can talk about big strummers and not mention Guilds, The Westerly D-30 I used to have was wonderful - very percussive as well. OK for finger picking. Guilds tend to be very reasonably priced, too. Richie Havens did pretty well with his.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
I just bought a D-18, and there is no other way to describe it strummed than "Big and Full". It sounds phenomenal. Most dreads would be good strumming guitars. I've heard that the Gibson J200 is actually relatively quiet for a jumbo, so that may not be what you're looking for. Taylor Grand Symphony body guitars (models that end in "6") are fantastic strumming guitars too - big and full with great bass response.
This sums it up nicely and I'd add the Taylor Grand Orchestra guitars to the list. (models that end in "8")

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-04-2018, 11:41 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantjudoman View Post
any normal sane person would be perfectly happy with a J-45.
^ more truth than a thousand posts.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion