The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-15-2022, 04:53 PM

Default Some Good Maton Demo Videos

Artisan make some good Maton demo videos, my opinion! Nobody here seems to mention them.

No affiliation...

Some newbies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BccgkZIBaJI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq3pwyhMBkE

And I just got one of the blackwood tops like this last year and it is great for the price:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTU2DuhnqzE

There is a dread model demo there, but I know zip about those, so...you can look it up yourself.

There is an older video of a Maton Messiah 808 with cutaway....I have the non cutaway Messiah, just gorgeous with full gloss, Rosewood, Sitka, Hiscox case, wood binding, herringbone trim, gold tuners, the works (and twice the price of the blackwood one)!

The cutaway Messiah 808:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Jc...I_dpU&index=36

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 06-15-2022 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 06:00 AM

No mention of who? Maton or Artisan or the videos? As far as Maton is concerned, yes, few posts but I've seen some with great comments.

I have and EBW808 that looks and sounds great.
Old 06-16-2022, 06:03 AM

Default Some Good Maton Demo Videos

Good stuff @Bluesking

I think I liked the Nashville a bit more, although that's the 'looker' in my eyes so maybe that swayed me a little. Then again that Messiah sounded pretty darn fine too!
And having 'Messiah' on the fretboard is very cool imo.

I expected to like the all Blackwood most before I watched but thought it sounded slightly muddy in comparison to the others. I noticed he dug in a bit more on the finger style demo on that one too....Maybe that hard top will take a bit more time to open up...
Could definitely hear that maple zing coming through on the TE but that's not a bad thing. Sounded lovely when he fingerpicked it.

I'll take them all...cheers [emoji1]
Old 06-16-2022, 01:11 PM

I think Matons are great ! Not just for the pickups.

My favourite is the SRS808 - the Cedar paired with Blackwood is an excellent combo. And the quality of the build and hardcase at the price point I think is excellent

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 06-16-2022, 08:17 PM

Well, as some know, I have 4 Maton 808 size of various woodage....

Even though the Messiah 808 is double the price of my EBG808 black custom finish, it probably would not go to a jam (suspect it was a dentist guitar buy to stay at home and polish).....but the black EBG808 would be first in the car! It is more lie a 00-18 deep body or something, and I have the pickup system the most 'sorted'...

BluesKing777.
Old 06-16-2022, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
...and I have the pickup system the most 'sorted'...
BluesKing777.
Hi BluesKing777 - Is there any particular secret to where best to place the microphone? I have an SRS70 and can't seem to get the microphone portion of my sound right. I run around 75% on Piezo and 25% on Mic.

I think regarding good/indifferent Matons, they are running a factory like everyone else. In that model there are going to be great/good/ok guitars depending on a range of issues like variation in wood. I hear third hand that their wood selection for general guitars is pretty much at the cheaper end of the scale from their supplier, so I'd expect quite a bit of variation.

I think like many brands you need to try them out in a store to get the one. My SRS was a store demo for a number of years and had a repaired/damaged end-pin area from being dropped in-store. I think the years of being demo'd helped play in the guitar, which I think sounds great unplugged as well as plugged-in.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:54 PM

Yep, all true.

Mine are pretty flawless though for a factory guitar - kudos.

Sound - the black EBG808 has the mic facing the strings between the 2nd and 3rd best I can...Treble on the half detent, bass the same, volume on full, mid EQ's to remove zoinks, piezo on full, internal mic on full - using headphones, in ear monitors. Through amp I have the same setting but put the mic just below feeding back, with of course my Maton Soundhole plug feedback buster...turn back bass, mids on amp.:

Can't get the others as good, must be the woods! It could be variations in mics as well, and where it is on the swing arm. I notice my black Maton, the mic looks a bit bent slightly backwards...not bent but leaning, perhaps...

One time at my guitar techs, a guy was picking up an Australian 808 from a setup and after we all got talking, I used the above settings on it and it was running through the house Bose tower system thing tech has for pickup testing...and they were all staring.....with funny look - yep, mic needs to be as high as it can, especially for fingerpicking - the guitar leaps into life! I don’t really like it n my amp, much...PA/mixer/preamp/EQ....... TE has his mic on 11.

P.S. What do you Maton owners think of the Queensland maple necks? Chunky and covers a lot of ground, my opinion...

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 06-17-2022 at 03:08 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion