The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM

Default Taylor 112ce-S vs Yamaha FSC-TA (or FSX820)

Hello everyone,

my first ever post here so nice to meet you all.

I'm about to buy my first own acoustic guitar and I'd need your support.

As an (almost) beginner, I do not have enough experience/knowledge to be able to make a proper evaluation on the sound or playability of a guitar, that's why I need your help/opinion.

Having done some online research, and after stretching my budget as much as possible, I've (currently) narrowed down my selection to the below 2 guitars, which I also tried at a store.

[]
Both guitars have solid spruce top and laminated back an sides.
And from what I heard at the store, I think I liked the sound from both guitars. A bit different, but both pleasant to my -untrained- ears .

[]
Some points from my short in-store experience:

Taylor 112ce-S

(+) Fantastic, low action
(+) Really comfortable neck
(+) I'll be honest : I like the idea of having the name "Taylor" on headstock

(-) Not impressed by the satin/matte finish. It made the guitar feel to me like...let's say... "half finished". (perhaps subconsciously I consider glossy=higher quality)

(?) I'm wondering whether satin finish has negative impact in a guitar's lifespan

Yamaha FSC-TA

(+) I really liked the colour, finish and overall construction (quite "premium" to my eyes)
(+) Transacoustic system is an interesting extra feature (not necessary though)

(-) Action was a bit higher than Taylor's (at least the guitar I hold in my hands)

(?) Neck was also nice and slim - but I think Taylor's felt as a better fit in my hand

-----

Here are some questions to all of the experienced people here:
  • are my concerns about Taylor's durability (due to satin finish) valid?
  • if I go to a professional luthier to adjust the action of Yamaha, could eventually become similar to Taylor's?
  • Would the above mean that I would need to re-visit the luthier from time to time to readjust action? Whereas perhaps Taylor's would be perfect for a much longer time?
  • Are these 2 guitars considered to be of equal level? At the same budget level, would it perhaps make more sense to go for a Taylor than a Yamaha (as a better investment)?

Any comment or experience from your side on these guitars?
Any other point I should take under consideration?

PS:
I know that both guitars are far above my current skills' level;
but I'm just trying to be "future-proof" with my purchase, plus to have a guitar that I will enjoy playing with.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2024, 11:25 AM

Regarding the Taylor matte finish and durability, I've recently acquired a 214ce and a 110e. I don't beat my guitars, but I am a moderately heavy strummer. In less than 20 hours on each, I've noticed wear into the top wood between the pickguard and the bridge on both. It's a little unnerving. I have several poly finished Yamahas that have hundreds if not thousands of hours on them, and there is no sign of wear into the top wood.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Regarding the Taylor matte finish and durability, I've recently acquired a 214ce and a 110e. I don't beat my guitars, but I am a moderately heavy strummer. In less than 20 hours on each, I've noticed wear into the top wood between the pickguard and the bridge on both.
That's quite shocking!
Old 03-28-2024, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_000 View Post
That's quite shocking!
The clue is in the name - he likes Yamaha. I think you'd have to be pretty abusive to your gear to see marks after 20 hours of strumming. (I like Yamaha and Taylor, btw., so no axe to grind.)
Old 03-28-2024, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
The clue is in the name - he likes Yamaha. I think you'd have to be pretty abusive to your gear to see marks after 20 hours of strumming. (I like Yamaha and Taylor, btw., so no axe to grind.)
While I do like Yamaha, there's no denying the wear present on my Taylor 110e that I bought new. I play the other guitars--even my Yamaha's--the same way and they don't have wear in the top wood.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Taylor and Yamaha both make nice guitars.

I think the fact that you feel the Taylor feels better in your hands, is real important. So a good guitar tech can get the Yamaha to play great. But even if you had a good set-up (more money) and the Yamaha plays as good as the Taylor, the neck is still not going to feel like the Taylor.

The poly finish on the Yamaha is most likely more durable, but to my ears, I've always found the tone on thicker finished guitars is not as open as the tone on lighter finished guitars. The satin finish may not look as good, and may wear, but unless you are Willie Nelson, it's going to last a long time. (Willie's still plays fine with the holes in the top )

They are both quality guitars, you just have to decide what you want out of them. If one makes you want to play more, that's the one to get.

Wish you good luck in your decision and welcome to the forum. Let us know what you decide.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 03-28-2024, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

You cannot go wrong with that Taylor.

I much prefer a matte finish, it feels much higher quality to me and not like plastic. It also can sound better because it allows the guitar to vibrate, but of course there's more involved with that than just the finish.

You will really appreciate having a matte finish on the back of the neck for sure.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

I used to own that Taylor model, and it’s a great guitar. It’s set up right with low action and a comfortable neck that will help you enjoy playing. Which will inspire you to play more.
Old 04-01-2024, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Taylor and Yamaha both make nice guitars.

I think the fact that you feel the Taylor feels better in your hands, is real important. So a good guitar tech can get the Yamaha to play great. But even if you had a good set-up (more money) and the Yamaha plays as good as the Taylor, the neck is still not going to feel like the Taylor.

The poly finish on the Yamaha is most likely more durable, but to my ears, I've always found the tone on thicker finished guitars is not as open as the tone on lighter finished guitars. The satin finish may not look as good, and may wear, but unless you are Willie Nelson, it's going to last a long time. (Willie's still plays fine with the holes in the top )

They are both quality guitars, you just have to decide what you want out of them. If one makes you want to play more, that's the one to get.

Wish you good luck in your decision and welcome to the forum. Let us know what you decide.
I have to admit that the "Willie Nelson" point was quite a strong argument

Thanks for your input, very helpful for me
Old 04-01-2024, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blues View Post
You cannot go wrong with that Taylor.

I much prefer a matte finish, it feels much higher quality to me and not like plastic. It also can sound better because it allows the guitar to vibrate, but of course there's more involved with that than just the finish.

You will really appreciate having a matte finish on the back of the neck for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
I used to own that Taylor model, and it’s a great guitar. It’s set up right with low action and a comfortable neck that will help you enjoy playing. Which will inspire you to play more.
Thank you both for sharing your thoughts, noted down!
Old 04-01-2024, 06:42 AM

It seems like you already know you want the Taylor if for no other reason, the name. I think if you got the Yamaha, you might always think the Taylor would have been better.

In terms of needing to take the Yamaha back for continued tweaking, the answer there is no, once it is set-up the way you like it, it will stay there for a long time and maybe forever. It could be a very simple tweak like a truss rod adjustment which would take seconds to do.

In terms of the matte finish, some people think as they have posted, that it allows for better sound. I am not here to tell you they are wrong, but will say, I do not believe that to be the case and it is certainly not accepted as a hard truth. Like a matte car paint, I do not believe that finish holds up as well, in fact, I think it is impossible for it to do so.

Yamaha builds a great guitar and are very well respected in the guitar world, I would say as much as Taylor is.

All that being said, take the one you like the sound of, neck feel of, and name of, but consider the action is easily adjusted and the finish is something to consider.
Old 04-01-2024, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
In terms of the matte finish, some people think as they have posted, that it allows for better sound. I am not here to tell you they are wrong, but will say, I do not believe that to be the case and it is certainly not accepted as a hard truth. Like a matte car paint, I do not believe that finish holds up as well, in fact, I think it is impossible for it to do so.
I guess I should clarify, I for one didn't mean the matte finish vs gloss allows for a better sound. What I should've said was a thin finish vs a thick finish allows for better sound. The more recent Yamahas (including the FSC model) I've played, seemed to have a thicker finish and that's what i was referring to...

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 04-01-2024, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
I guess I should clarify, I for one didn't mean the matte finish vs gloss allows for a better sound. What I should've said was a thin finish vs a thick finish allows for better sound. The more recent Yamahas (including the FSC model) I've played, seemed to have a thicker finish and that's what i was referring to...
No problem at all. I was not referring to any specific post here including yours, but just trying to speak in generalities as well as different thoughts a lot of people have.

I do agree 100% that the thinner the finish while still protective is ideal. Most hand built guitars tend to be much thinner then factory finishes for sure.

Having said that, I have a 1994 Yamaha LL45 which is arguably one of the best sounding guitars I have and I have more than I care to admit including several single luthier built guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion