The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 02-07-2024, 12:47 PM
Tune Up Guitars

Default Torrefied Maple - the cleanest tone | Boucher GR-HG-166-T

Five years ago Robin Boucher pondered the idea of torrefied maple for the back and sides, and since then they have been testing and retesting torrefaction of that wood. The difficulty was in bending the sides. Where torrefaction can make the wood more durable, less susceptible to changes in moisture and temperature, the sides become extremely difficult to bend. Through trial and error, and an entirely new set of bending molds and methods, they have produced outstanding results. The tone of the torrefied GR-HG-166-T is unlike that of any maple guitar I’ve ever played. The tone is extremely clear and the sustain seems endless.

YouTube Channel
Old 02-08-2024, 08:43 AM
Tune Up Guitars

20240131_170541-COLLAGE~2.jpgGR-HG-166-T
YouTube Channel
Old 03-03-2024, 11:19 AM

I had a chance to play a SG-166-T (torrified maple 12-fret OOO) as well as a PS-SG-162 (figured maple dread). They're very good guitars. Personally, I preferred the dread. (But I generally find dreads more comfortable.)

The OOO instantly sounds like beautiful Celtic music or something. Lots of highs and cut coupled with sustain. If anyone plays classical pieces on a steel string I think it may also excel that.

I think the dread had a little more lows which I found more balanced. To me, it kind of had the wider frequency range of madi rosewood but much more even across the frequencies, lots of sustain, but a more fundamental tone like mahogany. I don't think my description does is justice because it's really just a different thing than rosewood or mahogany, but those maple Bouchers are good guitars.
2013 Ibanez AEG20II-W-3R-01
2006 Washburn Lyon Dreadnought
Old 03-03-2024, 11:43 AM
Tune Up Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinverse View Post
I had a chance to play a SG-166-T (torrified maple 12-fret OOO) as well as a PS-SG-162 (figured maple dread). They're very good guitars. Personally, I preferred the dread. (But I generally find dreads more comfortable.)
I have an OM and a dreadnought coming in Fall with the torrefied maple. I'm really excited to test those out.
YouTube Channel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace