The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2024, 10:43 AM

Default Martin CEO on embracing radical change.

Interesting article. Be curious of others opinions.

https://guitar.com/features/intervie...adical-change/
Old 04-26-2024, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

I agree with everything he said.

But I still don't see what makes the Inception a $4000 guitar.

It's not a new design. It's a shape that has already failed for Martin in everything except its least expensive guitars. Maybe if it was a deep body SC it would seem inovative.

It has lesser tone woods

It has a nice pickup in the Baggs Anthem, but now anything cutting edge.

Machine cut braces

Satin finish

But I really want to try one!
Old 04-26-2024, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

I worry a little about the thinned channels in the top on the pictures of the new bracing, it seems like a neat scored line to break along, or a stress riser for cracks to form, and it doesn't look like it would be easy to repair that cleanly.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 04-26-2024, 01:25 PM

I was thinking along the lines of what PineMarten stated about the channels potentially weakening the top...

All in all, I applaud the effort at sustainability and sourcing locally. While rosewood and mahogany seem to be the most revered woods for B&S, Waterloo has been making some wonderful guitars with maple and cherry; and they do so unapologetically.

Tonewoods matter, but so does craftsmanship. I got a great deal on an OM-15 in the middle of the "Sipo and Sapele is not real mahogany" uproar. It is a wonderful guitar and will bring a lot of joy for the rest of my life and probably my kids' lives too.

As for "technological advancement"... some new ideas have benefits while other ideas are seeking differentiation in a crowded market. I think I would rather spend up on FSC certification than laser-cut brace holes.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I agree with everything he said.

But I still don't see what makes the Inception a $4000 guitar.

It's not a new design. It's a shape that has already failed for Martin in everything except its least expensive guitars. Maybe if it was a deep body SC it would seem inovative.

It has lesser tone woods

It has a nice pickup in the Baggs Anthem, but now anything cutting edge.

Machine cut braces

Satin finish

But I really want to try one!
It's not. God save us from the MBAs. And their lawyers!
Schecter SV Shredder

“Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being real gets you hated.” ~ Johnny Cash (1932-2003)
Old 04-26-2024, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
"..... And we wanted to do it with domestic tonewoods, because exotic tonewoods are getting harder to source. So we’re trying to look for alternatives.”
Oh dear! How far behind the rest of the world can you get. This is like a dinosaur trying to catch up. We have known for years about tropical forest depletion and illegal logging finding its way into the supply chain. Martin can't complain about timber supply tighten in one breath and then say that they are "innovating" in the next. They should have made the switch to domestic species years ago.

If they had done a SWAT analysis on the business 10 years ago this issue would have stood out like the dogs *****.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-26-2024, 04:32 PM

If it's not broken, don't fix it.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:10 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

I'll say this... I just bought a Gibson HP 635W that was made as part of a 'new effort' by Gibson to build a line of high performance guitars. They made them in 2017... I think there were 4 models, and all were made from wood sourced entirely from North America. I believe the line didn't last beyond 2017.

Why? Nobody wanted something different from Gibson. The same is almost surely true of Martin. No one wants something new. Both brands are steeped in a tradition that defines them. It's very hard to break out of that mold.

As for the Gibson HP 635W... it's freaking amazing! The neck is flatter and faster... like playing an electric, and the sound is fabulous. Great balance and tone, sustain, harmonics... sweet, sweet guitar. It is different, and honestly, it's just really, really good!

I'd give Martin a shot, but I'd feel a lot better about it if they could get it under $3k. The Gibson retailed at something like $2100 when it launched, I believe.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:30 PM

Sounds highly promising. In fact, it's the first Martin that isn't a D-18, D-28, D-35, or D-45 that I've actually wanted to try. (Even though I know I can't afford one.)

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2024, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Oh dear! How far behind the rest of the world can you get. This is like a dinosaur trying to catch up. We have known for years about tropical forest depletion and illegal logging finding its way into the supply chain. Martin can't complain about timber supply tighten in one breath and then say that they are "innovating" in the next. They should have made the switch to domestic species years ago.

If they had done a SWAT analysis on the business 10 years ago this issue would have stood out like the dogs *****.

Godin has been doing this since day 1 with many of their lines (locally sourced cedar and spruce from forests they manage and wild cherry back and sides). Taylor has been experimenting with wood from locally sourced “nuisance” trees that San Diego City/County culls for a while with Ash and Urban Ironbark (a type of eucalyptus).
Fender FA100
Yamaha LS16M
Old 04-26-2024, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickster View Post
I also found it interesting as well. The article is certainly about much more than just one guitar (eg, the Inception). As a nearly 200 year old company steeped in tradition that for decades (all of our life spans really) based their branding on that tradition, Martin has a huge challenge in front of them. Chris Martin bringing in an outside CEO was a huge statement recognizing the company will not hold its market position by simply implementing the "tradition card". Most of us on the Forum 50/60/70+ yo's are not the future of Martin. I do think Ripsam is looking through rose colored glasses if he really believes they are currently positioned to be on the leading edge of the curve because -IHMO- they are already behind AND much of the current Martin faithful don't want that change. However, I agree it's a change they need to make if they want to remain one of, if not the biggest acoustic guitar maker. Just one guy's opinion.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Oh dear! How far behind the rest of the world can you get. This is like a dinosaur trying to catch up.
It's more like a dinosaur hiring new management. It'll be interesting to see what the new guy can do.

Quote:
We have known for years about tropical forest depletion and illegal logging finding its way into the supply chain.
Yes, most of use have. You have every right to be indignant.

Quote:
Martin can't complain about timber supply tighten in one breath and then say that they are "innovating" in the next.
Of course not. But they can't very well say they've been behind the eightball and now have to follow what other companies have been doing for quite a while. Insulting past leadership (or lack of it) would be dumb. It would be saying to all their loyal customers that the beloved Martins in their livingrooms, bedrooms, and studios are crap.

Bad, bad, bad idea, right? They want people to buy the new guitar. So they're pitching it to sell. Earth-friendly. Innovative. And a terrific instrument.

Quote:
They should have made the switch to domestic species years ago.
Yup. But years ago, they didn't think they had to. Now they know they do. So the are. Better late than never.

Just to cut them a little slack, their whole business model was built around tradition — that is, mahogany, rosewood, and ebony. So it's a big change. Often, bringing in new management is an acknowledgement that big changes are needed.

Quote:
The trouble with SWAT analyses (and theories of change, logic models, mission statements, brainstorming, popcorning, blue skying, planning consultants, and all the other popular strategic planning "tools" is that they assume (usually rightly, unfortunately) that the current leadership lacks the imagination and courage to lead. Strategic planning retreats, workshops, and processes let everyone play with their pencils and feel good about themselves.

Which means that strategic planning tools are dull, flimsy, flawed, and useless. Their only real value is that they distract leadership from the hard work of doing even more damage.

So let's see if the new axe cuts it. Maybe it's not the beginning of the end. Maybe it's the beginning of a beginning. What's the worst that can happen? Another dinosaur goes extinct and makes room for a few more evolved species.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:27 PM

I suppose someone has already remarked on the obvious, it is not taking Martin in a new direction for 4K. If they did it as a cheap line then yes but as it is, no.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickster View Post

https://guitar.com/features/intervie...adical-change/
Knockoff of the content-free 'Wood and Steel' promotional rag that Taylor sent out until recently. I wonder how much this infomercial cost Martin. I can't imagine it to be arm's-length journalism.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:04 PM

Did he discuss the radical change of keeping Martin binding from separating?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion