The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2023, 02:32 AM

Default Martin 000-16 Streetmaster owners - experience ?

Hi,
looks like the Martin 000-16 Streetmaster is a nice package: VTS Adirondack, Indian rosewood, short scale.
I did not have the chance to play one so far, only familiar with the 000-15 Streetmaster. So I'm asking you owners and folks who have played one.
Thanks,
Robert

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 10-24-2023, 04:15 AM
Charter Member

I recently bought one and am totally enjoying it. Plays well and sounds like a Martin. I did add an LR Baggs Anthem to it. Finger picking or flat picking, it's a winner for me. This will be my keeper guitar.
Old 10-24-2023, 05:17 AM

Thank you - that sounds amazing !

Old 10-24-2023, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

I think that the 000-16 Streetmasters would be more popular if they didn’t have the Streetmaster finish, which is pretty polarizing. I suspect that Martin is using red spruce that is does not meet their cosmetic standards for Standard Series guitars, hence its use in a 16-series guitar (a common Martin practice) and the Streetmaster finish. Given the typical upcharge for guitars with red spruce, the 000-16 Streetmaster is a great package.
Old 10-24-2023, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
I think that the 000-16 Streetmasters would be more popular if they didn’t have the Streetmaster finish, which is pretty polarizing. I suspect that Martin is using red spruce that is does not meet their cosmetic standards for Standard Series guitars, hence its use in a 16-series guitar (a common Martin practice) and the Streetmaster finish. Given the typical upcharge for guitars with red spruce, the 000-16 Streetmaster is a great package.
I agree. I'd love to own this guitar but the finish is just too much for me to get past.
Old 10-24-2023, 10:45 AM

I had one in my shop last week for a slight tweak. I'll say up front that I didn't love the finish but also, it didn't look as bad as I thought it would up close. As for the guitar, I thought it sounded great and unlike a lot of newer Martin's I see, it had low action and plenty of saddle!

I'm also really glad that Martin finally decided to send one to Mary Lou Lord as it's based off of her old guitar that she had to part with due to health and financial reasons.
Old 10-24-2023, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
I had one in my shop last week for a slight tweak. I'll say up front that I didn't love the finish but also, it didn't look as bad as I thought it would up close. As for the guitar, I thought it sounded great and unlike a lot of newer Martin's I see, it had low action and plenty of saddle!

I'm also really glad that Martin finally decided to send one to Mary Lou Lord as it's based off of her old guitar that she had to part with due to health and financial reasons.
Not sure if you’ve noticed it, but it seems as if Martin has toned down the “steel-wool-scrubbed” look of the the first interation of Streetmasters.
Old 10-24-2023, 02:03 PM

I've had mine for 16 months. When I first got it, it sounded somewhat brash to my ears, but it has really smoothed out the more it got played. It plays very similar to my 000-18, but of course they sound very different. Not better, not worse, just different.

My main concern before buying it was how I was going to like the finish. Some of the early instruments literally looked like they dragged them behind a truck. Mine had very minor "vintaging". THe more I've owned it, the better I like the finish. It feels good underhand when playing. TO be honest, it looks to me like any other guitar when I play it. I guess if it's important to you what your guitar looks like to others as you play it, you may opt for something more visually impressive.

I had previously owned a 000-15, it was a nice guitar but I sold it. The 000-15 is a very different guitar than the 000-16.

You should definitely play one to see what you think.

Last edited by pszy22; 10-24-2023 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2023, 03:31 PM

Hey, thanks to you all, this is great !

I think I can get away with the look and finish. Soundwise it looks like a nice combo: Short scale / VTS Adirondack / Indian rosewood - what's your impression ?

Old 10-24-2023, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

I think it’s a great model. I wanted one too, as I was looking to scratch an 000-28 itch for short coin. Fair warning, it doesn’t not sound like an 000-28. It is … woodier? More like a muted D-18 perhaps.
Old 10-24-2023, 06:51 PM

Unfortunately, I'm not very good at describing sound. There are a number of youtube videos out there that I think are fairly represent how at least my particular guitar sounds.

If there is a downside, it's the finish. Some people don't like the way it looks. From a functional perspective, it is one of the thinnest finishes Martin uses. And of course there are no bindings to pop off.

Mine has a surprising amount of volume for a 000, what may be most impressive is the sustain, which may or may not be what you are looking for based on the type of music you play.
Old 10-26-2023, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Guitarman68, after get to play one, come back and let us know your thoughts.
Old 01-17-2024, 06:48 PM

I too didn't care for the finish, but I've kinda grown to love it. Mine is rather subdued and only has one of the light (artificial) wear patches.

It plays like a dream and it really sounds fantastic.

I actually prefer it to my Collings.

Someone mentioned the tops are probably cosmetic rejects. I think that may be possible. Mine has some wide wiggles in the grain that I can't imagine Martin putting on a $5000 or greater priced guitar. I honestly couldn't care less about such things. I only care how it sounds and it sounds fantastic.

I think I played 7 00016 before I bought this one. 3 were excellent (one of them sold from the local shop while I was, "thinking" about it...snooze and lose, you know). A couple were just a little too bright for my taste, but someone else might love them. The tone on mine is rather dark overall, but the B and E have that Martin sparkle.

I read somewhere that someone predicted this model, at least with the current tonewoods, might not be a long-term model for Martin. Perhaps when that pile of cosmetically questionable Adi is gone, so will this model in it's current form.

Dunno, but I feel very lucky to have found one that I love.

Past Guitars

Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo (Belle méchant Sheryl)
Martin Laurence Juber OMC-18 #3 Sold to a good home and a very lucky person!
Bourgeois OO Redwood Hog Sold to a good home!
Bourgeois DB Signature OM Mad Rose Cutaway Sold to a good home!

Many, many, more.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:06 PM

My experience was limited to 20 minutes. I played it side by side with a 000-18.
In that short time frame, the 16 was just too “metallic” and “tin” sounding for my ear. The 18 was much warmer. I too was attracted to the 16 package on paper; the sound for that particular instrument I played was not worth the $
Could have been a dud. For reference, I do like the way a Martin acoustic should sound.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingThru View Post
Guitarman68, after get to play one, come back and let us know your thoughts.
After getting the chance to play one I decided to buy it. I love the package of torrified Adi top, EIR back & sides and short scale. I'm not the biggest fan of that Streetmaster finish, but it's okay. I'd like the neck a bit more beefier, but that's only personal taste, and I can get away with that neck - same depth on the first frets like my 1951 D18.
Mine is a real warm and dark sounding guitar that is well balanced and has amazing dynamic headroom. Bass is deep enough for my taste but tight, trebles have a nice sparkle but no metallic content.
Overall it's an amazing package for the money.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion