The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-21-2014, 12:52 AM

Default J45 Standard, True Vintage, or Actual Vintage

I'm new here to the forum. If you can't tell, I'm shopping around for a Gibson J45.

My options seem to be either a standard, true vintage, or search for an actual vintage. I don't like thick neck, which rules out a lot of vintage stuff (mostly 60's). I can spend up to about $4,000.

I like the sound of the standard, but hate, truly hate, the headstock. I like the look of the true vintage a lot. I like the vibe of real vintage. what to do?!

(PS: are the necks on standards different from tv?)
Old 12-21-2014, 01:17 AM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecadad View Post
I'm new here to the forum. If you can't tell, I'm shopping around for a Gibson J45.

My options seem to be either a standard, true vintage, or search for an actual vintage. I don't like thick neck, which rules out a lot of vintage stuff (mostly 60's). I can spend up to about $4,000.

I like the sound of the standard, but hate, truly hate, the headstock. I like the look of the true vintage a lot. I like the vibe of real vintage. what to do?!

(PS: are the necks on standards different from tv?)
You are looking for something rather specific I think and so much so I wonder why you even mention the standard. It sounds like you want a TV or a real vintage instrument. They're out there and I've played a few. They are very nice sounding but every one I've played had worn out frets, or very low saddles. I mean, that's to be expected. I think you generally need to put aside some money for restoration if you buy vintage. The ones that have already had a lot of TLC (new frets, neck re-set and other attentions) are much pricier, at least the ones I've seen. It depends on how vintage too - if you try to get too far back the price gets pretty high.

Personally, I'd say go for the TV. It's not the same, but it's a lot closer than a standard would be. I used to own a TV and now I own a standard. Which do i prefer? Both. They don't sound the same.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus Mortem View Post
Personally, I'd say go for the TV. It's not the same, but it's a lot closer than a standard would be. I used to own a TV and now I own a standard. Which do i prefer? Both. They don't sound the same.
What are the major differences you found between the two? it ultimately has to come down to tone.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:28 AM
Guest 1511

Quote:
What are the major differences you found between the two? it ultimately has to come down to tone.
The standard is a deeper sounding guitar whereas the TV is woodier and kind of lighter sounding. The TV is actually a very light guitar weight-wise too. They don't all sound alike either. I played a TV recently that didn't sound like the one I owned. I'm thinking you really need to get your hands on some and hear with your own ear. This is all so subjective: what I like might be miles from what you like.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:03 AM

Quote:
It varies a bit by example, but in general, the TVs are louder and brighter. But they also have bigger necks, so you need to get your hands on one.

P
Old 12-21-2014, 06:00 AM

No disrespect to Gibson, but irrespective of the model, you've just got to play each one.

Certain models do seem to get a lot of acclaim, but that might just be a twist on a smaller number scale of production.

I have preferred the TV over just about every standard model, but I bet I've only played a dozen in the past five years.

Past Guitars

Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo (Belle méchant Sheryl)
Martin Laurence Juber OMC-18 #3 Sold to a good home and a very lucky person!
Bourgeois OO Redwood Hog Sold to a good home!
Bourgeois DB Signature OM Mad Rose Cutaway Sold to a good home!

Many, many, more.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:41 AM

i remember playing two standards and three tvs before buying. they all sounded different. so if sound is your main concern i would try to find a shop that has a few and try them out. the tv did feel better to me simply because it weighs less. hope this helps....
Old 12-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Most J-45 standards will have a warmer sound than the J-45TV which, due to the Adi top, will sound brighter and cut more.

Starting in early 2013, Gibson started slenderizing the neck on the J-45TV to where there is not much difference now between a J-45 standard neck. Prior to that, the TV neck was chunkier.

As has been said, there is great variability in Gibsons, even among the same model so best to get out there and play a bunch to see which way you lean.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4000 shipped
Old 12-21-2014, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

If there's any interest in a rosewood back, I recently played a J45 Custom that sounded great. The Custom is a model, not from the Custom Shop. Good Luck...
Old 12-21-2014, 09:01 AM

Have you looked at the J-45 Custom? Inlaid headstock, herringbone binding, etc. The J-45 Custom is a real looker. The most significant difference between the Standard and the Custom is that the Standard has Mahogany back and sides, while the Custom has Rosewood back and sides.

Granted, that is a real difference.

I have a J-45 Custom and it is a great guitar. It's also very "new." The serial number has it leaving the Montana shop in October, 2014.

Good luck with your search.

Greg Rappleye

Last edited by Greg Rappleye; 12-21-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:08 AM

The OP is looking for vintage looks, so the j45 custom is probably the furthest j45 away from that.

Personally I think gibson is making some of its best acoustics in the past ten years or so. For me 60s j45s wouldn't be an option unless I tried it first and liked it. The 60s is right when things started getting bad for gibson imo.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:44 AM

I moved from a J-45 Standard to a Southern Jumbo TV. I think the OP should look at the SJTV as an option. It has the old-school look and sound with the warmth of a J-45 (sitka top).
Old 12-21-2014, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

I also have a sitka-topped Southern Jumbo True Vintage, The sound gets better and better every day. It has the old school classic looks, and a timeless Gibson sound.

If you were looking classic - I would look for a 50's J-50. That is what I would like, but I still am pretty sure I would not sell my SJTV to get it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion