The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-27-2024, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
The glue that Titebond describes as "epoxy" in its literature is not epoxy at all (and they don't say "epoxy" on the bottle). It's a fast drying PVA glue. Apparently some copy writer wanted to make it sound more macho.
I called Peavy back and asked again. I remembered it wrong thinking I was told on the original call they used Titebond Epoxy. I was told this last time that it was actually Loctite Epoxy that was used to glue the nut in. Part of the “forever guitar” idea that was being promoted with their Composite Acoustics line.
Eastman T386SB
Aria Sinsonido AS-100C/SPL (customized to steel string)
Mid 1930’s Kay Kraft Deluxe K2 archtop
Seagull S12 converted to 6 string lap slide
Takamine TF740FS
2008 Pono PGKC (flamed Hawaiian Koa 0 cutaway)
Old 04-28-2024, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushwood View Post
I called Peavy back and asked again. I remembered it wrong thinking I was told on the original call they used Titebond Epoxy. I was told this last time that it was actually Loctite Epoxy that was used to glue the nut in. Part of the “forever guitar” idea that was being promoted with their Composite Acoustics line.
Is the neck a bolt on? If it was mine, I'd put the neck in my milling machine, the way I cut Fender style nut slots. I'm sure there are ways to rig a router or dremel jig to do the same. Carve it out with chisel, files etc.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.coombe View Post
I have come across one nut that refuses to loosen no matter what. Tried whacking, tried heat, tried steam. In the end I got the Demel out and ground it into little pieces. That did the trick. I would suggest you do the same.
That’s what I would do just very carefully.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair