The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2022, 05:10 PM

Default Why is there so much negativity around the new Generation Gibsons?

I own a G-45 Studio which is now discontinued. (Gibson replaced it in their lineup with the new Generation G-45).

Anyway, I recently played one of these new generation G-45s and thought it sounded really good!

On YouTube there are some videos of the generation series, and in the comments section people are saying they are awful.

I think my G-45 Studio is a bit nicer because it has white binding, a faux tortoise pickguard (instead of black), and it came with a hard case instead of a gig bag (like the new G-45s) and it was $200 cheaper at $999!

But really, the new generation series is a good deal... All solid wood, and they start at $999. For an all solid wood guitar, made in the USA, $999 for the small body or $1199 for the G-45 is a great deal! It's really something to consider if those specs appeal to you.

At the end of the day though, I'm still more of a Taylor guy. I own a 110 and 814ce, and I think the Taylors are generally a better deal, sound and quality.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120

Last edited by TomB'sox; 02-15-2022 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:22 PM

I think people sometimes just don't like things to be different.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:26 PM

There’s so much that’s unconventional about the Generation series, but the biggest turnoff for me is the “port” - also known as, “the big hole n the side of the guitar. That’s a dealbreaker for me. Add to that, thinner bodies, satin finish, non traditional woods, and it just adds up to a big, NOPE.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
There’s so much that’s unconventional about the Generation series, but the biggest turnoff for me is the “port” - also known as, “the big hole n the side of the guitar. That’s a dealbreaker for me. Add to that, thinner bodies, satin finish, non traditional woods, and it just adds up to a big, NOPE.
Why would the port put you off? I've always thought that was a feature more of high-end than low-end guitars.

I'd also scarcely call walnut a nontraditional wood. It's been used for guitar backs and sides for decades.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

I played a couple and found them to be thin sounding. I have a J-45 and I've played a few of them over the years along with J-15s and J-35s so when I played the G model I was less than impressed. If someone never played a J-45 or the other models I mentioned I suppose ignorance would be bliss.

I think more experienced players have certain expectations from a guitar.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk
Old 02-14-2022, 05:57 PM

There is a great video on YT where someone cut one of the Generation models in half. The workmanship was appalling. Especially for the price point.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I played a couple and found them to be thin sounding. I have a J-45 and I've played a few of them over the years along with J-15s and J-35s so when I played the G model I was less than impressed. If someone never played a J-45 or the other models I mentioned I suppose ignorance would be bliss.

I'm interested in the G series precisely because it seems different from the J-15, J-35, and J-45 models. These traditional ones have always sounded rather dull to me as a fingerpicker. They seem to work well for people who strum with a pick, but I don't consider most of them resonant or bright enough for someone picking with their fingers.

So, I've thought that the satin finish and stripped-down design might give the G series a little more, for my tastes, much needed shimmer. I don't know if that makes sense - they somehow look more responsive than the old line, which makes them quite appealing to me. Ergonomically, I also like the sound of thinner build.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdrew22 View Post
There is a great video on YT where someone cut one of the Generation models in half. The workmanship was appalling. Especially for the price point.
Golly, it must have been a really awful sounding guitar to lead them to do that.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post

I've played plenty of J-45 standards, and my particular G-45 (1st gen) gives up absolutely nothing to 90% of them. Have A/B compared with plenty of them on multiple occasions. Sure, I've played a few G's and Studios that you couldnt give me, but I've played allot of pretty disappointing D-28's too.

I think that the new Gibsons are fine, but like any other guitar I'd make sure to play and compare a good number before purchasing. For about a grand, getting an American made solid wood guitar with a hard case thrown in is a heck of a deal.

Last edited by Bushleague; 02-14-2022 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:24 PM

I haven't played one, so I don't have an opinion. Some folks want them as traditional as they can be, in other words, if they buy a Gibson, they want as close as they can possibly get to a 30's, 40's or 50's vintage guitar. Any time a company like that makes something that doesn't fit the traditional model, they will face criticism from the folks who don't think they should change anything that they did 70 years ago. Martin, Harley Davidson, Case knives, Levi's, all in the same boat.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:46 PM

I played a G-00 and planned to buy one, but after thinking it over more, it occurred to me I would be paying a premium for the Gibson name spray painted on the headstock. It just seemed like Gibson decided they would market a $999 guitar by cutting every possible corner. While the 00 I played felt and sounded very nice, it appeared somehow unfinished. Almost crude.

I opted instead for a very good laminate Alvarez that offers excellent tone and projection and saved enough money to buy an Epi SG - and both combined cost me less than the G-00.

I'm sure I'd be happy with one, I just wanted a little more value for my money.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

I recently played a few. While "hate" is too strong a word... I was underwhelmed.

I was impressed, however, with the IBG Epiphones (in the same shop). They looked, felt and sounded much more "Gibson" (for the same or less money).
Old 02-14-2022, 06:50 PM

Yours is the only opinion that counts, if it sounds good (to you) it is good.
Trust your ears, sounds like you’ve got a guitar you really like.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

At first I didn’t like them, especially the sound port, but I think they’re cool and will have serious mojo once they age a bit. The G-00 is seriously tempting as a couch guitar but I’m sure it’s gig worthy.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:13 PM

Gibson is my favorite acoustic brand. I love my banner reissue. And I love all the other slopes and squared and small body Gibsons I’ve had. My issue is that I personally like guitars traditional. Traditional specs, woods, and appearance. Especially Gibsons. Just my preference but in that respect they don’t appeal to someone like me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion