The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2015, 04:10 AM

Unhappy A strange buzz from my martin, help!

I've recently meet a strange buzz with my 2013 Martin D42.
It happens on high E especially at fret 7-10,I've checked the frets&neck&bridge they all looks good.
The strange thing is ,the buzz only happens when I press low E and high E at same time at those frets or when I use a capo there.Means if I just press the high E and play,buzz never happen.
And I find out a stupid way to get rid of this is to adjust the low E (or high E)a little bit pitch up or down.
So the buzz only happens when the strings are on the right pitch
Anyone ever met this?
Help~~~~
Old 03-08-2015, 06:13 AM

Do a search on "back buzz" and you'll find the information you need.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:28 AM

Alot of things can give your guitar a buzz sound , some things to look at -loose tuners -or knob, maybe something in the guitar body ( like a pick or loose pick-up or wiring )
loose tension rod and even worn out strings or wrong gauge . ( even a loose brace ) etc, etc.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:06 AM

Have you asked someone else if they can hear it? Have you eliminated that it's not a manifestation of your own hearing? It seems notable that it disappears when they are off-tune with each other, unless they are reinforcing each other and causing something to vibrate in that pitch range which is insufficient with one string alone; sympathetic resonance
Old 03-08-2015, 09:33 PM

Default A strange buzz from my martin, help!

Try to humidify it. I know it doesn't sound like it would work but it does make the buzzing go away at this time of year

Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
Martin D-28 Clarence White
Old 03-09-2015, 09:18 AM

Thank you guys.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:32 AM
Guest 728

If your model has washers on the tuning pegs' press-fit bushings, remove them. The washers only serve two purposes: to enhance cosmetics and to rattle. Usually, the open G causes this, but it can happen on any note.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:15 AM

I had a similar problem and I took my D18 to my local luthier and what he told me was that my top had dried out enough to cause it to sink down low enough to cause the fret buzz. It required that I re-hydrate my guitar, which is what I'm having him do. He says it could take a week or more come back.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:45 PM

Has more than one set of strings caused this issue? I had something similar happen on my HD28V when new. I was a little worried at first, but a string change took care of my problem. Sometimes, it's as simple as a bad string or a string not being seated properly in the bridge.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion