The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-17-2024, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Bob, sorry if this was in the review, I haven't had a chance to read it all yet. Have you used the DSL20? Any comparisons from your POV?
Old 04-17-2024, 12:09 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Bob, sorry if this was in the review, I haven't had a chance to read it all yet. Have you used the DSL20? Any comparisons from your POV?
I have not but have some experience with other DSLs. The DSLs tend to be more modern sounding and higher gainthan this one. The ability to pull back the guitar volume and clean up hasn't been as good to my ear, either.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-17-2024, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I have not but have some experience with other DSLs. The DSLs tend to be more modern sounding and higher gainthan this one. The ability to pull back the guitar volume and clean up hasn't been as good to my ear, either.

Bob
Thanks, helpful. I'll probably err on the side of higher gain over cleans.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:40 PM

I'm going to get killed for saying this, but one caution pointed out by technicians who have actually been inside this amp is that it doesn't process power all that well. If you want to play it at bedroom volume with a nice effects loop, you'll probably be fine. But if you want to play it at a volume that brings out its real Marshallness, there's a good chance you're going to have thermal problems. Long life is not likely.
Old 04-18-2024, 04:32 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I'm going to get killed for saying this, but one caution pointed out by technicians who have actually been inside this amp is that it doesn't process power all that well. If you want to play it at bedroom volume with a nice effects loop, you'll probably be fine. But if you want to play it at a volume that brings out its real Marshallness, there's a good chance you're going to have thermal problems. Long life is not likely.
No, you won't get killed for it, at least by me. I, too, saw the videos from the tech who didn't like the design and I saw them before I bought the amp. Now that we are six years into sales of the amp, I'm not seeing many reports of problems with them on the forums. The first generation are now out of the five-year warranty. By the way, they have said the same thing about my 1996 Marshall JTM612 ever since I bought it . Its power tubes are mounted horizontally, directly below the chassis. I got twenty-two years out of it before an original power tube (a Huntsville Svetlana EL34) died in 2018 and took a current-limiting resistor and fuse with it. $124 and seven days later it was back from the tech, working fine. I actually felt that warm feeling inside like I was finally a member of the group who have toasted a Marshall!

We'll see, and I will report it if it toasts. I'm just that way. By the way, I reported it in 2018 when my JTM612 failed, HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-18-2024, 06:49 AM

The comments I cited come from more than one source and apply only to the Origin amps. These amps appear to be tugging on the heartstrings of guitarists seeking the tones of the Series 2 JTM45 combo. The comments do not apply to all Marshalls. At least one of the reviewers is quite fond of the current DSL series, for example.

If we want to reduce this discussion to personal experience, I will be forced to tell the story of my '87 Jubilee crashing on stage with me the only guitarist in a power trio. The rest of the evening was rather quiet. I'm a little sensitive on Marshall power issues.
Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Bob,thanks highly for this review and all the additional links.

I'm going to get one of these, i had not yet looked into this model but it has everything i like, and the way i like and use an amp.

I have a 65 and 68 Princeton, this will be a neat addition to the mix.

d

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars