The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-08-2024, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstewart View Post
pics from 4:34 ast and 4:38 ast totality in NB canada. beyond awe inspiring.sci fiction experience. what an experience. shot with my google pixel pro phone
I wanted to head to NB for this, and it simply wasn't workable, your photos are spectacular!

We were just about 8 minutes ahead of you

����

Last edited by Sadie-f; 04-08-2024 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-08-2024, 06:34 PM

The darkening but clear sky turning back to bright after my cousin's funeral seemed like a good match for the day.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:46 PM

Old 04-08-2024, 09:59 PM

We were with close friends at Saranac Lake, NY. Normally, it is cloudy there at this time of year. But not today!

I had seen an eclipse once before, not quite total, but pretty neat. This one gave me a completely new understanding. The air darkened, but the sun continued bright, even when only a tiny sliver of it was actually shining. Then, like lights turned off, it just went out and we could look at it directly, without protection. Street lights came on. We could see stars and what looked like something of a sunset, except in the wrong direction and the wrong time. Just erie, not quite total darkness, but you'd need a light to read your watch.

On the one I saw in the ‘80s, I remember going outside for something (we were building on the house that day) and everything looked weird. And no sound, no birds, nothing. Just weird. Then, I remembered we were to have an eclipse. Later, when the sky began to brighten, the birds and animals resumed their singing and whatever else they were doing. They had to wonder about the short unexpected night, but seemed to take it in stride.

Today, we could see flares near the bottom of the sun, which in total eclipse appeared gray with a tiny bright ring around it. Then, after a few short minutes, a sliver of light came through on the far side and suddenly we could no longer look at it unprotected and the air got immediately brighter. Not full bright; but all at once you could read a book. That process slowly continued until things appeared normal.

One strange thing: I set up a tripod and a long lens on my camera. Took a bunch of shots and on each one, the sun remained completely round and bright. No slivers out at any time, bright even when in total eclipse. Toward the end, before turning back on, the sun appeared a bit elliptical, no longer perfectly round. I cannot explain why the camera couldn’t see what everyone else saw.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:38 AM

We went to the center line in southern Illinois and the weather was perfect. It was a most sublime experience. We were at the center of the last one and since this was twice as long, it was doubly good. We kept our options as open as possible for weather concerns and it paid off in the awesomeness quotient. I am a nature and weather lover so this hits all my happy spots. Although I have seen a great many partial eclipses and total lunar ones before I experienced a total version, I learned that it is a different thing altogether. And to see
the dark shadow in the air creep forward, cover us and then amble away across the flatland was incredible. As Mr Neil DeGrass said, we are the only planet known to have such a total eclipse because the moon is 1/400th the size of the sun but 1/400th as far away, so they perfectly cancel each other out, ever so briefly as we watch the heavens move in real time.
Old 04-09-2024, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunesalot View Post
We went to the center line in southern Illinois and the weather was perfect.

It truly was.

I felt the temperature drop as the sun was no longer heating the air. And the stillness was also noticeable.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-09-2024, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

An awesome experience here! I had been in a 90ish% location for a previous eclipse and thought meh what’s the big deal? But totality really IS different! I’m not sure I’ld travel halfway around the world to see one again but it’s not something I’m going to forget anytime soon.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:31 PM

Sorry, but I was underwhelmed.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Sorry, but I was underwhelmed.
Nobody here turned in to a frog, the animals didn't start talking, there were no sacrifices or explosions. Booooring. Maybe I needed to travel into the path of totality for that.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:23 AM
Charter Member

I was in MacKay Idaho in 2017. That was an exponentially better experience than the eclipse at Broken Bow Lake in Oklahoma.

I think it was because of the cloud cover. In Idaho the skies were clear and the sun was intense. During the penumbra phase the temperatures dropped and the animals were going crazy.

At Broken Bow the skies were very cloudy and it was already cool. There was not a noticeable change in the temps, and the advent of darkness did not seem much of a surprise as it was already gloomy when the event started.

If you were not in the path of 100% totality then you missed 99% of the event.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 04-10-2024, 02:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
The Eclipse is coming over to the McKnight Guitar shop. We are located in the center which we are told we shall see almost 4 minutes of cold and darkness.

It's a great way to share this personal favorite day. Coffee and brownies with nuts are included.
Haha! I'm in southern England - We've had about 4 months of cold and darkness so far!

We had one in August '99, and we cycled to the top of the hills north of the town, and stood, with many others on a Neolithic hill fort with a view down on to our Roman walled city, the Isle of Wight and for many miles around.

I think my company had distributed suitable specs.

I vaguely remember the 1961 95% one (I watched from the school field).

I doubt I'll see another.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 04-10-2024 at 02:32 AM.
Old 04-10-2024, 04:54 AM

Really wonderful experience. I rented an e bike in Holmes County and went out on the bike path there. Sat on a bench by a creek for an hour as it got darker and colder. The totality was brief, under a minute, but magical. After wars got back on the bike and rode in the eery glow. Only thing I can compare the experience to is taking hallucinogens back in the day.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

we were disappointed that cloud cover hid the sun from us.

But it was, even so, it was very cool to see the total darkness, and then the extremely fast "sunrise" effect that was 360 degrees all around

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-10-2024, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Eclipse day update

Here's a picture of our gig setup at full eclipse from Monday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9898.jpg (81.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 04-10-2024, 08:07 AM

It was very cool...we hit 94% totality here...enough to noticeably darken the sky, change shadows, etc.

I'm regretting not driving a few hours and experiencing totality.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic