The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2024, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Default More Thomastik-Infeld questions....

I recently replaced my go-to XS 12-53's with a set of TI AC111's with great effect. First of all, my 68 year old fingers thanked me for what felt like a feather bed to them. I do not know what the difference in tension is between those sets, but it is literally palpable. The TI strings definitely changed the voice of my Merrill OM18, from a dry sound in the vintage Martin tradition, to something more sweet, round and nearly classical. I like it.

So I want to try a different TI string on my Spohn OM-C, which is a 12 fret, short scale (24.5"), in Euro Spruce over Euro Maple. Max's default string is the Elixir 13-56 (Mediums). I have tried the Elixir 13-53 hybrids, but they were lackluster, compared to their beefier sibling. I realize the TI strings are a totally different animal, but still want to choose wisely, given the cost of these strings.

My sense is that the AC111's (11-50) are going to be too light, and a poor replacement for the Elixir 13-56's. The AC 112's are closer to the mark at 12-59. And the AC 113, at 13-61. Specifically, tensions (in lbs):

AC112 Elixir 53-56 AC113

E 31.00/ 29.00/ 33.00

A 31.40/ 34.00/ 35.30

D 30.30/ 37.00/ 34.60

G 32.30/ 35.00/ 33.40

B 20.60/ 26.00/ 22.70

E 22.80/ 27.00/ 25.90

It appears that the AC113's are closer to the Elixir Mediums, at least string for string, with only two strings with more tension.
I also understand that the AC113's are all plain steel/round wound. While the AC 112's G string is flat wound. And the AC111's have three flat with one round. I have no idea how that figures into the picture. And I do not know whether the 61 6th string will pose any fitment issues, which I have read about.

In any event, thanks for accompanying me down this rabbit hole. I have never tried Newtones or Santa Cruz strings, which I understand are in the same universe. Suggestions welcome.

David
Old 04-21-2024, 01:37 PM

I posted this earlier in a different thread. I think it's directly relevant to your questions.

The AC111 strings are a good deal lighter than you might expect for a set of 11s. I agree they may be too light for your Spohn.

Note the AC112 set is a bit heavier than a D'Addario set of 12s, comparable to 13s in the bass. It might be just the ticket for your Spohn.

Old 04-21-2024, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

As I think you know, I've run AC111s on my OM-28 and also the Santa Cruz, and quite liked them. I wouldn't bother going up a gauge, but then I enjoy light strings, down to the TI classic S.

I value them most for the flat wind. As I rarely run strings at, or above 160#, usually aiming for 150-158, the AC112 would be unusually heavy for me.
Old 04-21-2024, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie-f View Post
As I think you know, I've run AC111s on my OM-28 and also the Santa Cruz, and quite liked them. I wouldn't bother going up a gauge, but then I enjoy light strings, down to the TI classic S.

I value them most for the flat wind. As I rarely run strings at, or above 160#, usually aiming for 150-158, the AC112 would be unusually heavy for me.
Good to hear from you, my friend. I had not remembered that you have TI's on your Santa Cruz or Martin. Perhaps, as with my Merrill, they quite change the quality of the voice in a substantial way.

I am considering stepping up with the Spohn because I hate sloppy feeling strings. Again, it is a short scale, and I am accustomed to the "al dente" feel of Elixir mediums with it. To the extent that I can, I would like to preserve that tactile quality.

By the way, can you shed any light on the tonal differences I might hear if I went with the AC112's, which have but one flatwound string, with the remainder roundwound, save for the two steel strings. I understand that , in general, the flat are considered less bright and, ironically, rounder sounding. With the roundwound coming in at the other end of the spectrum.

Best to you.
David
Old 04-21-2024, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
I posted this earlier in a different thread. I think it's directly relevant to your questions.
Thanks for the head's up.

David
Old 04-21-2024, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Good to hear from you, my friend. I had not remembered that you have TI's on your Santa Cruz or Martin. Perhaps, as with my Merrill, they quite change the quality of the voice in a substantial way.

I am considering stepping up with the Spohn because I hate sloppy feeling strings. Again, it is a short scale, and I am accustomed to the "al dente" feel of Elixir mediums with it. To the extent that I can, I would like to preserve that tactile quality.

By the way, can you shed any light on the tonal differences I might hear if I went with the AC112's, which have but one flatwound string, with the remainder roundwound, save for the two steel strings. I understand that , in general, the flat are considered less bright and, ironically, rounder sounding. With the roundwound coming in at the other end of the spectrum.

Best to you.
David
To be clear, my go-to strings are SCGC low tension on the Santa Cruz OM, and for now, ej-26 11-52s on the Martin and my maple build ** because I have these in hand and they're cheap and well suited to frequent changes, I don't care if they don't last long.

The maple OM is likely to be wearing the relatively new Martin kovar in custom light 11-52 gauge. She sounds *really* good with those bent on.

I had no idea the -112 plectrum set was round wound on strings 4-6, and it would matter to me, as the quiet slides on flat wound is a lot of what I like. Yes they're also a shade more mellow, and I like that too.
Old 04-22-2024, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

The AC111s are designed to be low-tension strings as I am sure you know. From my personal experience I would caution against using them on a guitar with a short scale, as to me they feel too sloppy. In my case it was with GHS Thin Core, which (along with Newtone Heritage) are the low-tension strings I moved to after using TI Plectrums for a while. If you like low tension and are willing to explore other brands, the Thin Core and the Heritage both have gauges that seem a bit more “conventional” than the Plectrums and, as they only cost a fraction of the price, a little experimenting may not feel so much like financial Armageddon.

Of course, one guitar can respond better to a particular string than others do. My Williams Tui is superb with the Thin Cores but when I tried them on my walnut Baranik I was disappointed. I far prefer the Baranik with the Heritage strings. And the short-scale 00 that felt silly with low-tension strings is now sounding and feeling great with GHS Vintage Bronze.

Good luck!

Last edited by colins; 04-22-2024 at 01:43 AM.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
From my personal experience I would caution against using them on a guitar with a short scale, as to me they feel too sloppy.
Thanks very much for your suggestions. And exactly. As I noted in my original post, I have come to appreciate an "al dente" feel of strings, at least on the Spohn. And the reason why I will not even bother to try the AC111 on it. Wet noodles, I am guessing. The AC113 come closest to the Elixir's (medium), but do not eclipse them. I appreciate the other strings you mention, which are new to me. Which of them would you say comes closest to the unique sound of the TI strings you used?
Thanks, mate.
David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion