The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Guitar held in customs - Nerherlands

Hoping someone might have some insight into this. I bought a used Lowden from the Fellowship of Acoustics in the Netherlands, but had to return it last week. It got to the Netherlands on Wednesday the 1st, but has had a status of “held in customs” since then. I’ve contacted the store, but in the meantime, anyone have ideas on what might be going on or next steps?
Old 05-05-2024, 09:29 AM

Might not be the same, but if I am not mistaken, any product that is made in a foreign country is separately dutiable each and every time it is imported into the U.S.

There are many exceptions to this, indluding personal ownership, and temporary importation bonds.

Since the Lowden was presumably made in the Republic of Ireland, or maybe the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, it may be that similar rules apply. I presume that the Netherlands is part of the European Customs Union. U.S. Customs law is arcane and thorough, and not knowing exactly what to do for an average person can become mind-numbing.

Suggest you contact/press the original seller and find out what is going on. They have probably had to deal with this situation before, and should have some pertinent advice.

Good Luck,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 05-05-2024, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
Might not be the same, but if I am not mistaken, any product that is made in a foreign country is separately dutiable each and every time it is imported into the U.S.

There are many exceptions to this, indluding personal ownership, and temporary importation bonds.

Since the Lowden was presumably made in the Republic of Ireland, or maybe the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, it may be that similar rules apply. I presume that the Netherlands is part of the European Customs Union. U.S. Customs law is arcane and thorough, and not knowing exactly what to do for an average person can become mind-numbing.

Suggest you contact/press the original seller and find out what is going on. They have probably had to deal with this situation before, and should have some pertinent advice.

Good Luck,

Don
Thanks Don, I’ve never purchased anything expensive from outside the U.S., so this is all new to me . Hopefully TFOA can resolve this. They did tell me to mark it as a return, so it shouldn’t be subject to import duties.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:47 AM

Customs in the Netherlands is slow. I'd give it 1-2 weeks.

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 05-05-2024, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbuhl View Post
Customs in the Netherlands is slow. I'd give it 1-2 weeks.
Oh wow, good to know. Coming in to the US, it cleared in a day.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Since the Lowden was presumably made in the Republic of Ireland, or maybe the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, it may be that similar rules apply.
Lowden guitars are built at Downpatrick in Northern Ireland, which is a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, nothing at all to do with the Republic of Ireland.

Although both parts of the same island, the Republic of Ireland, and Northern Ireland are two completely separate countries.

McNally OM-32 (Sitka/EIR) (2024)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-05-2024, 02:16 PM

Maybe the guitar is latently experiencing The Troubles.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 05-05-2024, 02:27 PM

I live in Mexico, and have gone through a similar process here several times. The procedure in Mexico is: if they can determine that the object's value is more than $1,000, it's put on hold. An independent freight forwarder is given the case by Customs. He or she contacts you, and requests documentation. You then must make a deposit to the government's account for the duty and the freight forwarder's fee, and send a copy of the bank receipt to the freight forwarder.

Here, this can take a couple of weeks.
Benito Huipe Classical (Paracho, Mx)
Yamaha NTX1
Old 05-05-2024, 02:53 PM

I got one from the same shop and it took about 8 or 9 days to clear customs. It was in some warehouse in Philly the whole time. So I’d just give it some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Oh wow, good to know. Coming in to the US, it cleared in a day.
Old 05-05-2024, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

I've shipped there many times. Being in customs is different than being "held" in customs. If they are holding it, they are usually waiting on the recipient to show them something or pay a fee (in this case, show that it's a return and not merch they are buying). If it's just "in customs", then that's dependent on how backed up their customs dept is at the time. It can vary a LOT in the Netherlands.
Old 05-05-2024, 03:50 PM

It takes a while. The seller won't have anything to do with this, unless they sent a return label. Customs will have to clear it, determine how much, if any, duties, customs, taxes are due to be paid by the recipient. If they need any more information from you, they will contact you. Otherwise, it's Cinco de Mayo - have a margarita and enjoy the day.
Old 05-05-2024, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Lowden guitars are built at Downpatrick in Northern Ireland, which is a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, nothing at all to do with the Republic of Ireland.

Although both parts of the same island, the Republic of Ireland, and Northern Ireland are two completely separate countries.
I know a lot more about the historical political situations over the centuries, so I know they are currently two different countries, which is why I named them as such. I was covering all the bases because I knew that Lowden is an Irish based company, didn't know the exact location.

When I mentioned about similar rules, it was to steer things in the direction of similar rules between the U.S. and Netherlands. I wouldn't know if members of the European Union can modify some of the EU rules about Customs for their own country.

And after I posted, I recall the Republic of Ireland is also part of the European Customs Union too. No Brexit. Or would that then be called Irexit?

Depending on which side of the family I trace it, I am third through fifth generation Irish which would make me on average somewhere in-between, I guess.

Be well and drain a Guiness for me,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 05-05-2024 at 04:07 PM. Reason: proof reading
Old 05-05-2024, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I've shipped there many times. Being in customs is different than being "held" in customs. If they are holding it, they are usually waiting on the recipient to show them something or pay a fee (in this case, show that it's a return and not merch they are buying). If it's just "in customs", then that's dependent on how backed up their customs dept is at the time. It can vary a LOT in the Netherlands.
Well, interestingly, it shows “customs clearance” on May 1st, and then “held in customs” ten minutes later.

Hopefully TFOA will get back to me tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know a lot more about the historical political situations over the centuries, so I know they are currently two different countries, which is why I named them as such. I was covering all the bases because I knew that Lowden is an Irish based company, didn't know the exact location.

When I mentioned about similar rules, it was to steer things in the direction of similar rules between the U.S. and Netherlands. I wouldn't know if members of the European Union can modify some of the EU rules about Customs for their own country.

And after I posted, I recall the Republic of Ireland is also part of the European Customs Union too. No Brexit. Or would that then be called Irexit?

Depending on which side of the family I trace it, I am third through fifth generation Irish which would make me on average somewhere in-between, I guess.

Be well and drain a Guiness for me,

Don
Yeah, my post was intended to clarify where Lowden guitars are built - in a non-EU-member-state (Northern Ireland) rather than an EU-member-state (the RoI). It does get a bit complicated when an island called ‘Ireland’ contains two countries, both of which reference ‘Ireland’ in their titles but which, in every other respect, are completely different entities with different rules, regulations, and laws covering movements of goods in and out of their respective countries!

And thanks for the Guinness - one of my favourite tipples before health issues in late 2005 forced me to give up alcohol! Never tasted Guinness since that time!

McNally OM-32 (Sitka/EIR) (2024)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-05-2024, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Yeah, my post was intended to clarify where Lowden guitars are built ..... in every other respect, are completely different entities with different rules, regulations, and laws covering movements of goods in and out of their respective countries!
Tell me about it. Driving south to north (Rep. of Ireland to Northern Ireland) the speed limit signs go from KPH to MPH without notification. Your car is still reading KPH and you are now reading signs in MPH and... well you know the rest. Your "100" sign in KPH in Rep. of Ireland now changes to "60". If you don't realize what has happened you will now be driving too slow. 😮

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion