The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2024, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Default ooo-18 GE alternatives to consider

Hello friends!

I am looking for a Martin 000-18 Golden Era, but want to open up my mind to alternatives worth considering. Mahogany back/sides. 1.75 nut ideal. Other specs can differ (I have opinions, but more open if the right guitar). I prefer a shorter scale, like a lower profile neck ...

Someone just pinged me on an Atkin 000E ... which lead me to finding THIS one.

Thanks for your thoughts and feelings and opinions!

Phil
Old 04-18-2024, 07:44 PM

Unless you're into green guitars, There are numerous short-scale 000s but I would look at a Gibson J45 as the nut is 1.725" and nearly (or totally) imperceptible or Martin D18S they are great guitars.

"The Martin D-18 stands as one of the true original dreadnoughts introduced by Martin in 1932. The D-18 made a switch from a 12-fret to a 14-fret instrument in 1934 and has stayed largely the same since, with just the occasional change in wood source or cosmetic detail. The D-18S uses the original 12-fret above the body and slotted headstock design of the D-18."

Last edited by LAPlayer; 04-18-2024 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhPhil View Post
Hello friends!

I am looking for a Martin 000-18 Golden Era, but want to open up my mind to alternatives worth considering. Mahogany back/sides. 1.75 nut ideal. Other specs can differ (I have opinions, but more open if the right guitar). I prefer a shorter scale, like a lower profile neck ...

Phil
I know awhile ago you posted you were looking to play a 000-18GE, did you every get to try one out?

As far as alternatives.

In the Martin Line, the 000-18 Modern Deluxe I think is similar. The neck is definitely not as beefy as the GE but not slim slim either. At least for me, it seemed like a good in between size.
As for the sound, I think the MD is a tad bit more....zingy? (not in a bad way) compared to the GE.
I know the MDs use GE bracing but use a carbon fiber bridge plate and those liquid metal pins, which I assume attribute to the extra "zing". You do get a VTS top, which is nice.

Prewar guitar co. makes a 000-18 that I think is outstanding. I've only played one but it was great. Although they can be hard to track down. Small shop...small numbers of gtrs being built.

I have not had a chance to play Atkins, but from everything I've heard online, they sound really great too. If you can get you hands on one, I would def try to check it out as an option.

Cheers
Old 04-19-2024, 11:09 AM

I was really considering a 000-18 as well as some other Martin 000 sized mahogany guitars.

I played a Yamaha fs5 and was sold. I love that guitar. 1 3/4 inch nut too. I think I prefer it regardless of price but it’s also over $1000 cheaper.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tleek View Post
I was really considering a 000-18 as well as some other Martin 000 sized mahogany guitars.

I played a Yamaha fs5 and was sold. I love that guitar. 1 3/4 inch nut too. I think I prefer it regardless of price but it’s also over $1000 cheaper.
Those are pretty incredible guitars.
Rb
Old 04-19-2024, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Those are pretty incredible guitars.
Rb

I always wrote off Yamaha because I never had experience with their higher end models, and assumed they made beginner instruments. It’s crazy how nice those red label guitars are.

I put a Hifi in mine and it sounds great, but in hindsight I would have just went with the x model.

Last edited by Tleek; 04-19-2024 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

If you DON'T like the neck on the 000-18GE, this probably won't appeal to you, but if you do, the Martin CEO-7 has a lot in common with the 000-18GE. It's got a similar Mod-V neck, similar GE bracing (as I understand it - I know less about bracing than a lot of people around here though), the same string spacing at both the bridge and nut, an Adirondack top. The CEO-7 is a slope shoulder 00, so it's a bit smaller, but it's actually closer to an 000 than an 00 in key dimensions, particularly the lower bout. I have two of them and love them. Not everyone does, but most who don't seem to dislike the Mod-V neck. If you like the Mod-V on the 000-18GE, you'll probably like the one on the CEO-7. I have two CEO-7s (one on the west coast where we live, and one on the east coast where we spend a good deal of time) and couldn't be happier wit them.

-Ray
Old 04-19-2024, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Martin OM18 Authentic 1933's are out there in the wild and shouldn't be overlooked IMO. Another discontinued line but I happen to own a pre VTS example made in 2012 and I enjoy it very much. The OM is long scale and the 000 is short and there are no doubt, other differences in the bracing and the OM sports a Red Spruce top and I'm not sure about the 00018 GE. They share Mahogany B/S's and are exactly the same size overall. As far as scale goes, when I play my OM I generally have a capo on the first or second fret anyway. Good luck in your search.
Old 04-19-2024, 03:35 PM

Larrivee? OOO-40 is a 12 fret. OO-40 will be shorter scale but 14 fret.

The necks are low profile.

This post compares scale length.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...30&postcount=3
Old 04-19-2024, 06:39 PM

Larrivée is coming out with a new series 24 which will be a short scale 000 in the near future
Old 04-20-2024, 08:55 AM

My local shop stocks a lot of larivees. They have all been really nice. I’m sure several models would be a good alternative to the Martin I’m sure. Much different sound though.

Last edited by Tleek; 04-20-2024 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-20-2024, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Another FS5 vote. Bought one during the pandemic and I continue to be impressed by how great it sounds. Even though they cost more now (brand new) it's still a bargain price considering what you get.
Old 04-20-2024, 11:11 AM

Is the Yamaha fs5 considered a om or ooo size body? Is it short scale? Thanks.
Old 04-20-2024, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyharris View Post
Is the Yamaha fs5 considered a om or ooo size body? Is it short scale? Thanks.

Yamaha calls it small concert. It’s not exactly a 000 shape but close. I’m not really sure what the difference is between OM and 000.

It’s not short scale. 25 inches. So not exactly what the OP is looking for but I think hed be happy nonetheless. It’s a special guitar in my opinion and I recommend it every chance I get.
Old 04-20-2024, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhPhil View Post
Hello friends!

Phil
One just posted in the classifieds from’09.
You should jump on it.
It probably won’t last much longer than a day

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion