The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2024, 09:43 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default The aging guitarist....

Not a pretty sight. Loss of dexterity, finger stiffness, any glimmer of speed has gone on down the road. My hearing is probably going too, but headphones help cover that up I suppose. Playing nylon almost 100% of the time has helped alleviate a lot of the finger soreness I was getting.

What a kick in the teeth. You work all your life and are now in retirement able to take the time to play any time of the day and now the hands aren't cooperating.

Worse things could happen though. Just another old guy rant

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-09-2024, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Yep, I can relate and as a singer songwriter, my voice can’t do what it used to do either. Oh well, I’ll plod along anyway. :-)
Best,
Jayne
Old 04-09-2024, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the golden years Barry!
For me, at 70 years old, the past few years have been quite challenging. Old injuries from motorcycling and just old age in general combined with some previous surgeries on my hands have all compounded to make me realize I’m getting old…… but….
Getting old is not at the end of the line. Giving up is.

I will not give up. I will continue to do the things I love to do such as playing my guitars, riding my bicycles, detailing cars and mountain bike racing. In general, just being a kid at heart and continue doing what I want to do will keep me younger than most.

Hang in there!

~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 04-09-2024, 10:17 PM

I will not give up either. I can’t play as good as I used to and I’m fighting cancer but I won’t give up.
Guild Jumbo Junior (2022)
Luna Henna Paradise(2018)
Martin DX Johnny Cash(2019)
Martin 000-18(2019)
Martin 000C Jr-10 (2022)
Zager ZAD800M (2021)
Fender Squier Stratocaster(2009)
Old 04-09-2024, 10:22 PM

I'm pretty close to being able to play "When I'm 64" for real. As somebody that didn't start playing until retiring my late 50's it's somewhat depressing to realize I'll never be really and truly good at my chosen retirement gig no matter how many hours I practice.

I'm doing OK physically but I live in constant fear of dinging up a hand/finger during my daily activities (think ladders, hammers, saws and power tools galore).

I guess for me it's enough to have some very nice guitars, pick and choose the songs I invest my time learning and chuff along as best I can. I do think it helps to have one fast song in my rotation at all times. I'm pretty sure to the degree I've developed mine, speed is a use it or loose it kind of deal.

Scott
Old 04-09-2024, 11:09 PM

65 and semi-retired from guitar work. Semi means I still get calls from the symphony and producers with whom I've worked for 20+ years. I have to take 600mg Advil to pre and post medicate from 4-5 hour sessions but I'm still going. A couple of 2-month residencies and a couple of international "diplomat" for someone playing through a half-dozen countries then home. It's still a gas after 40 years. Sometimes the hands are a bit stiff but come around within 10 minutes.
Old 04-10-2024, 04:20 AM

The same happens with golf, cycling, downhill skiing etc. The things I use to be able to do and the high skill level I had is now not quite there

BUT I can still get enjoyment from doing them. Walk past a graveyard and anyone there would love to be able to do what we do and how we do it.
Old 04-10-2024, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

I didn't start playing until after I had my first surgery on my left hand. I woke up one morning and decided to get a Yamaha guitar for PT on the hand. At that time I thought I could probably get 10 years out of playing.

I'm now at 7 years, had a second surgery on that hand 2 years ago, and I'm having the first surgery on my right hand later this month. What can I say, getting older wasn't meant to be easy.

I keep things pretty simple. Keep things basic. Play and sing with my friends. I'm having a good time. I'll keep it going as long as I can.
Old 04-10-2024, 04:43 AM
Charter Member

We all have to make concessions to the aging process, but art doesn't know age.

Art is self-expression, and we may have to play slower, or play pieces that are less complex, or perhaps we lose the ability to play altogether, but we can still express ourselves. Sing, dance, bang on a box or just tap your feet, because if the music moves you, you'll find a way to let it out.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.
Old 04-10-2024, 04:57 AM

Barry,
The important thing is that you keep enjoying to play. Nobody can take that away. I'm not a particularly accomplished guitarist, but still find great peace and joy in strumming along
Old 04-10-2024, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

Id rather play an achy guitar than a heavenly harp!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-10-2024, 05:24 AM

Ah, if it were only the fingers! It's easier to count the parts that still work near 100% than list the parts that don't. Most days the fingers still work, but some days it takes a few minutes and some rainy days I don't try. Getting old is not for sissies.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-10-2024, 06:01 AM

Well my guitar "career" started some 40 odd years ago. Consisted of playing for a month and putting it away for 2 years.. work, raise a family..etc. Finally get to play with some folks at church 3 years ago. I just turned 61. They are in their 30's... They have NO idea.....
stiff fingers, achy knees. Play this song in all barre chords....My brain tells my little finger go here... little finger say's "your kiddin'.." Finger picking 6/8..? Only on a good day. They say it's not the age, it's the mileage.... I'm 9 miles of bad road. Is it fun? Oh, I wouldn't trade it for a new puppy!
Martin DM16
Epi Sheraton
Gretsch G2410TG
Gretsch Electromatic 12
Old 04-10-2024, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

I am 63 and have been retired for a year and a quarter. I am consistently playing more now than prior to retirement. So far I have not had any issues playing. My feeling is that if you keep playing for 60-90 minutes a day, you keep your finger limber.

I did smash my strumming hand index finger badly in a heavy front door 3 months ago. Its taken a long time to heal. The nail is coming off in pieces and its been sore for some time. I have had to revert back to playing more with a pick these last few months.

I also spend a lot of time researching guitars. I might buy and sell more guitars over the next year. I have acquired 5 new guitars since retirement and sold one.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

DON'T even get me started!

A positive aspect is that with the added challenges come focus. I only play tunes I want to play. Gone are the tunes that are not that enjoyable to play.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion