The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-14-2024, 04:31 AM

Default Ralph Towner, Along the Way

Along The Way, Ralph Towner
short version from original record by Oregon

https://youtu.be/tfXLurzhUZI?si=OY7SA5yi5lNhZJG9

you can listen the original record on Oregon in Moscow (2000, ECM) and In Performance (1980, Elektra)
Old 04-14-2024, 06:40 AM

Very cool. Nicely done.

I first heard Ralph Towner as a teenager on Weather Report ISTBE and later on a number of ECM albums including Oregon. One I remember very clearly is Trios & Solos with Glen Moore. I saw him with John Abercrombie in Glasgow, from which I most remember that a fight broke out in the audience. Abercrombie had great repartee dealing with that.

You captured his personal style well here. Congrats! How did you learn/adapt the piece? And how do you rate the difficulty playing it?
Old 04-18-2024, 04:35 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks thefsb
I discovered this piece in "Oregon in Moscow" album, first I tried to play by ear and listening others versions like "In Performance" album and watching some YouTube interpretations. Later I saw a transcription in Towner's book called Improvisation and Performance Techniques. It's not a difficult piece, listen it a lot and try one bar at the time, it's a short piece, an intro.
It's always a challenge play Towner, not like him, never, but feel his music in the hands.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Tags
oregon, ralph towner