The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-01-2024, 02:23 PM

Default Westminster model 450?

I recently purchased a 1970s Westminster classical guitar on an auction for $75 which includes shipping and taxes. However I cannot find any useful information on this instrument. Does anyone know about this brand? All I could dig up is that it supposed to sound good.

Thanks,
Chesschef
Old 05-01-2024, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesschef View Post
I recently purchased a 1970s Westminster classical guitar on an auction for $75 which includes shipping and taxes. However I cannot find any useful information on this instrument. Does anyone know about this brand? All I could dig up is that it supposed to sound good.

Thanks,
Chesschef
From an older Reverb listing:

"Westminster 500 classical guitar made in JAPAN by Matsumoku, probably sometime in the 1970s. A brief history of this company: it began in , , as a family owned woodworking business. Matsumoku built amplifier cabinets, speaker boxes and wooden cabinets for audio and television makers as well as Singer sewing machines. Matsumoku produced guitars, or parts of guitars, for , , Gakki, Kanda Shokai (), (), Nippon Gakki (), and Norlin (parent company of Gibson). American owned Unicord contracted Matsumoku to build most of its and Westbury guitars. St. Louis Music Company imported Matsumoku built . Matsumoku built many early Greco guitars as well as , Vantage, Westbury, Westminster, Cutler, Lyle and Fell. contracted Matusmoku to build most of its electric guitars from 1979 through 1985. In 1979, Matsumoku began to market its own guitars under the Westone name."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical