The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2008, 06:40 PM

Default Air shipping

Hi everyone!

I am contemplating buying a new guitar which would have to be shipped via air transport.

I never had any experience with this method of shipping and was wondering how safe it is for the guitar considering the effects of altitude and coldness related to high altitude flying.

What can I expect?

Thank you in advance,

Mike
Old 10-02-2008, 06:51 PM

I ship all my guitars via Air Mail and never had a problem. Make sure its well packed and insured. Its worth having it shipped overnight when possible to limit the amount of time the box gets left unnatended or exposed to the weather...
www.cornerstoneguitar.com

Ukuleles...
www.cornerstoneukes.com
Old 10-02-2008, 07:14 PM

I spent 6 years @ UPS working in the Air department. I saw guitar boxes all the time. Besides the benefits of less time in the system, Next Day Air items are the priority of the company. They are loaded with more care from their origion, are sorted in a seperate center in Louisville, KY (rarely/never mixed in the general flow of packages), arrive at the local centers LAST each day -- so they enter the belts after the main flow and are loaded into the appropriate trucks on top on everything else. Of course they are generally delivered before any other packages on the truck (depending on zip code commitments).

I obviously recommend this service.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:54 PM
The Foreigner

If it helps, I shipped my Webber all the way from Florida to Malaysia. Like many other things, the risk is pretty low IF packed correctly
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 10-02-2008, 08:58 PM

On just about any expensive guitar I've bought, I've always tried to use 2nd day air.... It always worked out quite well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion