The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Ever get one of those nights when you can't decide which guitar to play and waste a half hour thinking about...
Hi Barry...
No.

I'll just grab one, and if my mood changes, exchange it out.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-02-2008, 09:40 PM

I tend to play whichever one is the closest to me.

I would guess though, it would have alot to do with you multi-task your guitars or not. If you use them all for every style you play, it may be a hard choice some nights but if your guitars are dedicated - this one for open tuning, this one for fast flatpicked single string lines, and this one for fingerpicking I guess, as some already said, it would be more of an issue of what tune do I feel like playing.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:06 PM
There is none like you.

Yes i have been there and done that. There was a time i had 6 Mcphersons all at one time now you talk about hard to decide !! Let me tell you........
Old 10-02-2008, 11:32 PM

I may spend a minute to pull out one ... but not much longer. Sometimes it's not "the one" so I spend time going from one guitar to another looking for "the one," sometimes pulling out half a dozen or more looking for it.

Now, there have been times when I've spent half an hour just staring at a guitar after I've played so much my fingers are too tender to play anymore ... but I wouldn't call that wasted time.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:10 AM

Nope,

I primarily use 3 of my Martins, the 000-42MEC get the fingerpicking, the D-18GE gets the flatpicking, and the 175th Anniversary America's Guitar gets everyhting else. These guitars are always out, the others are in their cases.

I enjoy the variety and rarly only play just one guitar when I play or practice.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 10-03-2008, 07:19 AM

I have a bit of a hierarchy when it comes to my guitars. As standard tuning is my main interest, the Gibson CJ165 gets that and hence pride of place for playing time. Then come the Taylor GC3 and Hullah 000C, which I keep in dropped D and DADGAD respectively. After that, there's the Epiphone EL-00, which I originally bought for travel and which I now keep in open G/Gm. Those are tunings I'm less familiar with, so playing time on the Epi is reduced. In the background there's an Ibanez Artcore 105 jazzbox, which I keep in standard and which is just really nice to play on the more mellow rhythm pickup from time to time. A recent addition to the stable has been a Godin ACS synth access nylon string. I'm still not quite sure how that's going to fit into the equation...
Old 10-03-2008, 07:31 AM
Guitar Gourmet

By the time I walk into the playing room I usually have a song or sound in my head that dictates the firsts choice. That's how I get there in the first place. Lately, I've been "seeding" the second choice by taking another guitar out of the case and putting it on a stand before I sit down. I've just found that I get in a sort of "zone" and don't want to be bothered with peeling guitars out of their cases. I'm a space case with a guitar in my hands.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-03-2008, 07:40 AM

Location: Survive in Winnipeg, Manitoba - just North of Fargo, N.D.

It depends on which guitars I have nearby, but it usually involves a little nylon string, steel and 12 string. Occasionally I play my babies - I put coated electric guitar strings on my BC 6 stringer and it sounds eerie.

Rob
Canada

Brackett Sitka/Walnut Dreads 'Carol Ann' and '26' plus other stringed stuff ...
Old 10-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Cocobologist

I have them all hanging in my music room / office, so it's easy to move from one to another. I find, however, that I definitely favor a couple of them over the rest. The GS is the "First Grab" for general purpose playing, and the 912 when I'm in a relaxed fingerstyle mode, or on a conference call (smaller body makes it easier to hit the MUTE button on the phone ). The 814ce is simply the best and easiest guitar to record in the bunch, so that's where it gets the majority of play time.

I'm anxious to get the old 615 back from the shop (I bought it used and in need of a bridge reset and some major TLC...). The Maple is such a contrast in tone from the Cocobolo boxes I've owned for years that I think it's going to get the lion's share of play time for at least a couple months.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion