The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Multiple guitar owners.....

Ever get one of those nights when you can't decide which guitar to play and waste a half hour thinking about?

My Guild gathers dust,
So forlorn it sits,
Waiting to be asked,
To sing a song for all,
The GS waits patiently,
Preferring to turn the world
To the wonders of DADGAD
The OM-5 smiles to itself,
knowing it will soon be chosen
above the rest.

I guess I won't quit my day job to become a poet just yet

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-02-2008, 04:46 PM

For me it's not so much trying to decide what to play as finding the one that sings to me on a particular night. That's one of the reasons I like having things that are SO different. No matter what kind of mood I am in I can always find one that sings to me.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:58 PM

Nope. I only keep one (sometimes 2) freshly strung and that's the one I play. When the strings die, I choose another and rotate them out. I do have to take time to choose the next in the cycle though. I couldn't afford to keep all them strung at the same time. Well maybe I could now that I've sold 11 in the past 3 weeks. But hopefully affording strings for all the guitars will be a problem again real soon -Pix

'79 Yairi Limited edition DY-50 #031 of 900
Yairi Dy74, Dy75, DY77
S & P Showcase Rosewood AER
S & P Pro Curly Maple
S & P Pro rosewood
'64 Martin Baritone Ukulele
Kala LE Spruce & Spalted/Flamed Maple Baritone
Lanikai Mahogany Tenor
Lots of percussion stuff

Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule
Old 10-02-2008, 05:08 PM

Only if I'm not planning on studying a certain genre or lesson for the evening. The sequence of playing is usually:
  • Johnson Carolina OOO - Celtic or other folk music in DADGAD
  • LaPatrie - Hawaiian slack-key or other folk music in Open-G
  • Yamaha Flamenco - Flamenco
  • Kenny Hill Estudio - Classical & sight reading lessons
For me, it helps that each guitar is dedicated to a specific purpose. Of course, that means that I'll need to buy a new guitar if I start exploring some new genre like bluegrass.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarVlog View Post
Only if I'm not planning on studying a certain genre or lesson for the evening. The sequence of playing is usually:
  • Johnson Carolina OOO - Celtic or other folk music in DADGAD
  • LaPatrie - Hawaiian slack-key or other folk music in Open-G
  • Yamaha Flamenco - Flamenco
  • Kenny Hill Estudio - Classical & sight reading lessons
For me, it helps that each guitar is dedicated to a specific purpose. Of course, that means that I'll need to buy a new guitar if I start exploring some new genre like bluegrass.
That's a great idea!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-02-2008, 05:57 PM

I should note that none of these guitars are kept in a case. There's always one in the guitar stand near my chair and the instruments are rotated down from three hangers into the stand as the evening studies progress.

All four are (IMHO) "overbuilt" beginner/intermediate instruments and the temperature and humidity of the room are seldom out of the ideal range (if ever). These factors and my hanger/stand setup makes rotation very easy.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:18 PM

Having a selection to choose from is really enjoyable to me. The downside to having a bunch of guitars is keeping the strings fresh, as noted above. I played my Froggy tonight for the first time in a while and found that the strings needed a changing. Oh well.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:44 PM

Talking

Hey Barry,
Trying to decide which Koa to play is really difficult for me. I do much like GuitarVlog, special tunings are kept on certain guitars, etc................ Sometimes I walk in the guitar room and just stand and stare.
Russ
Old 10-02-2008, 06:57 PM

TBman, it happens all the time. I listen music way more than I probably should. In a normal day, I usually get two or three songs in my head (that i can get them out until they are played, sometimes more than once.) More often than not, I just know that a particular song will sound better on one guitar or the another. Sometimes I think it would be a lot easier If I only owned one or two guitars.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 10-02-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarpix View Post
Nope. I only keep one (sometimes 2) freshly strung and that's the one I play. When the strings die, I choose another and rotate them out. I do have to take time to choose the next in the cycle though. I couldn't afford to keep all them strung at the same time. Well maybe I could now that I've sold 11 in the past 3 weeks. But hopefully affording strings for all the guitars will be a problem again real soon -Pix
____________________________________________-

I've got a lot of guitars still and have recently been trying the Musician's Gear Strings from MF. $2/ set for mediums and lights. I think they're a good string for the price, and I'm used to Elixirs. These (tone-wise) last pretty well for an uncoated string. For the price try a few sets if you haven't already. I'm definitely buying more (STRINGS that is )......

Ryan
Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by koaguitarman View Post
Hey Barry,
Trying to decide which Koa to play is really difficult for me. I do much like GuitarVlog, special tunings are kept on certain guitars, etc................ Sometimes I walk in the guitar room and just stand and stare.
Russ

Just thinking about all your guitars makes my head hurt!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs2 View Post
TBman, it happens all the time. I listen music way more than I probably should. In a normal day, I usually get two or three songs in my head (that i can get them out until they are played, sometimes more than once.) More often than not, I just know that a particular song will sound better on one guitar or the another. Sometimes I think it would be a lot easier If I only owned one or two guitars.
I know what you mean. Some songs just sound better on certain guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strummer View Post
____________________________________________-

I've got a lot of guitars still and have recently been trying the Musician's Gear Strings from MF. $2/ set for mediums and lights. I think they're a good string for the price, and I'm used to Elixirs. These (tone-wise) last pretty well for an uncoated string. For the price try a few sets if you haven't already. I'm definitely buying more (STRINGS that is )......

Ryan

I haven't changed the strings on my Masterbilt in 11 months, LOL. They still look and sound pretty good. Shows you how much I play the darn thing. I gotta start a better rotation of my stuff.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-02-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I know what you mean. Some songs just sound better on certain guitars.

I haven't changed the strings on my Masterbilt in 11 months, LOL. They still look and sound pretty good. Shows you how much I play the darn thing. I gotta start a better rotation of my stuff.

I broke a string on one of my Blueridges weeks ago and there it sits unplayed. LAME.....
Old 10-02-2008, 08:52 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Ever get one of those nights when you can't decide which guitar to play and waste a half hour thinking about?
Nope. My Webber simply outplays everything else I've ever touched. And that's not necessarily a good thing!
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 10-02-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koaguitarman View Post
Hey Barry,
Russ

Russ, with a collection like yours, I could stand and stare for a very long time!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion