The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Help wanted:Intermediate to Advanced song suggestions

Here I go again, I have a ton of music and nothing to play,

Wanted: Good song to learn.

Requirements:
It must be no longer than 4 pages of tab. (3 preferred)

It must have a good melody.

It can't be too fast nor too slow

Standard tuning preferred, but DADGAD ok.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-02-2008, 04:47 PM

"Wild Cat Blues" by Fats Waller, arranged by Lasse Johansson is pretty fun (but might not be advanced enough for you - for me, it's plenty advanced).

I think it's over four pages (has three parts) but the repeats are printed out as well (so it's not that hard to memorize). Great melody, I think. It's in the book "Early Jazz for Fingerstyle Guitar" which has a lot of great things in it (from not too hard to pretty hard, I suppose it'd be termed "intermediate").

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 10-02-2008, 08:44 PM
The Foreigner

Stating the number of pages of tab is a slightly vague criterion since the notes and staff spacings can vary widely (at least for those I own). And a tab that employs less "repeats" can seem longer than it actually is.

With that out of the way, if you're looking for something very melodic and challenging (you did mention 'advanced'), I would definitely suggest the Pink Guitar Acoustic Masterclass (if you don't already have the original CD/Mp3 album, what are you waiting for? ). These are stunning arrangements of Mancini's work and definitely deserving of the Grammys that they won:

http://www.amazon.com/Henry-Mancini-.../dp/0757923674

Another choice for melodic compositions would be Pete Huttlingers two albums, Naked Pop and The Santa Rita Connection. The book containing the tab for many of those tracks (about 23 altogether!) can be ordered here:

http://www.petehuttlinger.com/online.cfm

As some reviewers have mentioned (and I agree), Pete's solo guitar arrangement of the Jackson Five's I Want You Back is worth the price of the book

So, sorry for not answering your question exactly, but it's probably a better idea to actually listen to the songs rather than gauge them by number of pages
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 10-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
Stating the number of pages of tab is a slightly vague criterion since the notes and staff spacings can vary widely (at least for those I own). And a tab that employs less "repeats" can seem longer than it actually is.

With that out of the way, if you're looking for something very melodic and challenging (you did mention 'advanced'), I would definitely suggest the Pink Guitar Acoustic Masterclass (if you don't already have the original CD/Mp3 album, what are you waiting for? ). These are stunning arrangements of Mancini's work and definitely deserving of the Grammys that they won:

http://www.amazon.com/Henry-Mancini-.../dp/0757923674

Another choice for melodic compositions would be Pete Huttlingers two albums, Naked Pop and The Santa Rita Connection. The book containing the tab for many of those tracks (about 23 altogether!) can be ordered here:

http://www.petehuttlinger.com/online.cfm

As some reviewers have mentioned (and I agree), Pete's solo guitar arrangement of the Jackson Five's I Want You Back is worth the price of the book

So, sorry for not answering your question exactly, but it's probably a better idea to actually listen to the songs rather than gauge them by number of pages
Thanks MM, I have "Pink", I've been thinking about trying Moon River and I have Pete Huttlinger's Collection tab book, lots of good songs in there.

Thanks again.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawlie View Post
"Wild Cat Blues" by Fats Waller, arranged by Lasse Johansson is pretty fun (but might not be advanced enough for you - for me, it's plenty advanced).

I think it's over four pages (has three parts) but the repeats are printed out as well (so it's not that hard to memorize). Great melody, I think. It's in the book "Early Jazz for Fingerstyle Guitar" which has a lot of great things in it (from not too hard to pretty hard, I suppose it'd be termed "intermediate").

Thanks Shaw, I'll look into that one.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-02-2008, 09:46 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Thanks MM, I have "Pink", I've been thinking about trying Moon River and I have Pete Huttlinger's Collection tab book, lots of good songs in there.

Thanks again.
You do? Sorry for my absolutely useless recommendations, then

If so, then you already have enough material to last you a few years at least. Or have you already learnt almost all the songs in those two books??

....in which case, can I be your friend?

EDIT: I'm working on some accurate tabs of advanced fingerstyle pieces and will remember to pass them on to you if I manage to get permission from their respective artists.
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )

Last edited by mmmaak; 10-03-2008 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:47 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
You do? Sorry for my absolutely useless recommendations, then

If so, then you already have enough material to last you a few years at least. Or have you already learnt almost all the songs in those two books??

....in which case, can I be your friend?

EDIT: I'm working on some accurate tabs of advanced fingerstyle pieces and will remember to pass them on to you if I manage to get permission from their respective artists.
The Pink book looks really hard. I think Moon may be the easiest song in the book. I put the book away after I bought it, thinking I wasn't ready for it yet (last year). Maybe I should look at it again.

Pete's music is great, but just about every song is over the 4 page limit and the ones that aren't I don't care for that much.

Thanks for the offer of the tabs, I appreciate that

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-03-2008, 05:55 AM

Clover - Colin Reid

4 pages - standard tuning - Intermediate - cracking melody...
Old 10-03-2008, 07:24 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
The Pink book looks really hard. I think Moon may be the easiest song in the book.
Quite right about that. Well, at least in terms of fingerings and technique. The phrasing and dynamics involved are a whole different story (as are most things Ed). Still it's very playable and definitely worth a try. A fat (.56 or greater) 6th string works well for the drop-C tuning
(Aaron Stang's Charade is a good follow-up in terms of difficulty, though it gets progressively harder throughout the song)

Quote:
I put the book away after I bought it, thinking I wasn't ready for it yet (last year). Maybe I should look at it again.
Those are the sorts of arrangements I had in mind when you mentioned "Advanced" (the Mancini songs certainly are). Perhaps "Advanced Intermediate" would be a better category for what you're looking for?

Quote:
Pete's music is great, but just about every song is over the 4 page limit and the ones that aren't I don't care for that much.
Let me offer (again!) some unasked-for advice
Limiting your choices to tabs under 4 pages is well....limiting. But arrangements like Charade or Pete's Hortensia contain sections which are either repetitions or variations of the main theme. Quite often, these can be omitted at your discretion without "hurting" the flow. Not discouraging you form looking for new material or anything, but I think you already have some great stuff there at your fingertips
Transcriptions

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion