The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-01-2008, 10:58 AM

Default taylor registration

i recently purchased 816ce from jim guitar rodeo and i received an email that the guitar was registered..my question is, is that how it works? does taylor automatically register the guitar? because i read some message here (AGF) that sometimes they sell used guitars unregistered..thanks guys!!

Taylor 816ce
Old 10-01-2008, 11:04 AM

never heard of a dealer registering a guitar. you have to do it on their web site
Old 10-01-2008, 12:47 PM

Thats not right, I dont see why Jim would register your guitar. I would give him a call and tell him you received an email saying your guitar was registered when you didnt do it.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:01 PM

The Taylor dealer from whom I bought most of my Taylors always registered my guitars for me, except for the very first one that I bought.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:16 PM

You should call and find out. I've bought several guitars from Jim and he never registered them for me, and I don't think that's something he ever does.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:19 PM

And the guys that sell used guitars claiming the original warranty is available because they never registered it and can provide the blank warranty card are full of hooey!
Old 10-01-2008, 04:51 PM

I just call Taylor and register over the phone.
Never had a dealer resister for me and I've had 4 Taylors now.

Dan

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
And the guys that sell used guitars claiming the original warranty is available because they never registered it and can provide the blank warranty card are full of hooey!
Yep, I can unfortunately testify to that - it was the hook that got me to buy a LKSM-6 from a poster in the "for sales" here in the past week. Sigh. Probably paid a little too much because I didn't do my homework with Taylor about warranties first. But at least I paid less than retail, and the guitar is great...so all that is "wrong" is that I can't boast about the super-fantastic deal.

LKSM-6
Bozo B80S 12 string
Gibson LGO
Supro 1938 lap Hawaiian
Misc. assortment of cheap banjos.....
Old 10-02-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyr4worship View Post
i recently purchased 816ce from jim guitar rodeo and i received an email that the guitar was registered..my question is, is that how it works? does taylor automatically register the guitar? because i read some message here (AGF) that sometimes they sell used guitars unregistered..thanks guys!!
Is it registered by your name or somebody else?
Old 10-02-2008, 09:45 AM

I know for sure Jim does not register guitars he sell because his refund policy is based on the fact that guitars are returned in new condition without registration filled. So I know for a fact jim would not register your guitar before shipping it.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:33 AM

what exactly does registration do for you and how do i check if mine's been registered?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:37 AM

i know that taylor's official position is that you can't register a guitar unless you are the original owner....but the truth is, you can.

they have always been more than happy to register a guitar as long as that guitar does not have a registration already on it....

whether or not they advertise that they do this....is irrelevant...because i knwo first hand that they do it.....maybe you just have to catch them on a 'good day'...haha
Old 10-02-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanheeg View Post
i know that taylor's official position is that you can't register a guitar unless you are the original owner....but the truth is, you can.

they have always been more than happy to register a guitar as long as that guitar does not have a registration already on it....

whether or not they advertise that they do this....is irrelevant...because i knwo first hand that they do it.....maybe you just have to catch them on a 'good day'...haha
Taylor says they will register the original owner but they know this only by the person who gives them the serial number. For instance; they get a call or registration online with a new serial number that hadn't been registered before, although the guitar might be on to the 5th person now, how would Taylor know. So when they say original owner, they are assuming the first person to get hold of this guitar will register it. So original owner really means "first guy to register guitar" but not the first guy to own the guitar.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post
what exactly does registration do for you and how do i check if mine's been registered?
hann if you call taylor customer service and give them your serial number they can check for you
Old 10-02-2008, 12:01 PM

hmm i'm in singapore...

and i din buy it from my local dealer! ha!! maybe i'll call them via skype.. but i know we int'll customers don't get a free suscription to wood and steel.. =(

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion