The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-01-2008, 08:58 AM

Thumbs up Thumbs up for Sweetwater!

Yesterday, I ordered a few guitar related items online from Sweetwater around 6 pm. At 7 pm, I received a message from my personal sales assistant, Mike Hammond, that my stuff had already been mailed with Fed Ex!!! (Oh, and did I mention that the shipping was free.)

Thanks Sweetwater for lightning fast service.

P.S. I receive no commissions for this post. I'm just a happy customer.

The Desert Wind - Patrick's Flight
Old 10-01-2008, 10:04 AM

only place i order strings from
Old 10-01-2008, 11:02 AM

Sweetwater is my #1 retailer. Craig Wilson is my rep. Knowledgeable and makes each order simple. The free shipping via Fed Ex is great.

Jack
Old 10-01-2008, 11:06 AM

I've never used Sweetwater but from everything I've heard my days with MF are over and my days with Sweetwater are about to begin.

http://www.facebook.com/tylerhansenmusic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hansentj
Old 10-01-2008, 11:13 AM

The thing I don't like about Sweetwater is the cold calls. "Hey, this is your sales engineer. How are those headphones you bought two years ago working out for you? Do you need anything today?" If I need something, I'll call them.

Bryan
Old 10-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan T View Post
The thing I don't like about Sweetwater is the cold calls. "Hey, this is your sales engineer. How are those headphones you bought two years ago working out for you? Do you need anything today?" If I need something, I'll call them.

Bryan
I heard that!

If I ever bought anything from them again I'd use an alias. I bought a twelve dollar mic clip from them three years ago. Since then I’ve been called at home, on my cell, on my wife’s cell, in the morning, at night, on Sunday.... “hey, just checking to see how that mic clip is working out for you...”
Old 10-01-2008, 11:20 AM

I like their approach with the follow-up call after a sale to make sure you're satisfied, but it can get annoying with the cold calls months later to see if you need anything. I agree, if I need something, I'll call you. I can't fault them though. It probably works well for them in that there are probably many people who likely think.."Well I could use a few packs of strings now that you mention it..." They get the majority of my online business for strings and other miscellaneous items primarily due to the free shipping they offer. I would prefer them to leave me alone between orders however.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:27 PM

I ordered a Yamaha AW1600 from them, a day later GC started selling them for $100 less, and the day after that so did Sweetwater, so before I received the AW it cost $100 less. I e-mailed my sales rep and asked if my price would be dropped $100 and was told he didn't know but would find out. I said I'd even be happy with $100 credit for the next purchase. Even though I asked over and over I got blown off. My sales guy has been rude half of the time and when I tried to get another sales rep I was given the same one.

They're prices are competitive with Guitar Center, etc, so the only thing I save is tax, and every box I've received from them has been crushed. No damage to the item, just the shipping box is crushed, and I live on the west coast, so it ships east first, then west, so it takes awhile to get my stuff.

Most of the time it's easier, and definitely quicker, to go to my local GC competitor!
Old 10-01-2008, 03:48 PM

I ordered from them the first time a couple of weeks ago. Excellent service and I got a call from my rep as well. When he found out I was in ministry he told me what they offer for churches by means of sound consulting and sent me a nice catalog.

Plus the candy treats in the box when my order arrived was a nice touch. (Especially the atomic fireballs!)
Alvarez RD20S12
Fender Telecaster
Ibanez AG-75
Martin 000X1AE
Cort Earth 70DE
Old 10-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshpmark View Post

Plus the candy treats in the box when my order arrived was a nice touch. (Especially the atomic fireballs!)

I will trade you all of my atomic fireballs for all of your Bit-O-Honeys!

Matt
Old 10-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

I've been dealing with Sweetwater since there was just Chuck (the owner) and two other guys working out of a little house in Fort Wayne. A lot has changed over the years. The new building is incredible. They have some great seminars (including the Taylor road show) and always send out invitations. They have a summer "gearfest" where there are tons of reps there with product specials and demos. The last purchase I made there was a K65CE and they matched the lowest (in stock) price I could find. it has been cool to see this little "garage business" grow into the huge store that it has.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:13 PM

I found the phone calls so annoying that I won't order anything from them. And that's a shame because they have some nice gear at reasonable prices.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

They've never called me.

I'm far from a big spender there, but I'm fairly regular. I appreciate the fact that my sales guy always greets me properly when I call, and never tries to upsell me. The fact that I'm comfortable enough with them to call, rather than order online, means a lot to me in this impersonal world.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-01-2008, 07:18 PM

Default Just like any other retailer

They were very nice but could could not meet their commitment date for delivery. This happened twice and I cancelled the order and got the guitar from zzounds who were great.
Martin 000C16GTE Aura
Old 10-01-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPCHIP View Post
I ordered a Yamaha AW1600 from them, a day later GC started selling them for $100 less, and the day after that so did Sweetwater, so before I received the AW it cost $100 less. I e-mailed my sales rep and asked if my price would be dropped $100 and was told he didn't know but would find out. . .
I experienced semi-the-same-situation
I found an effects pedal in Sweetwater's colorful catalog, but when I called to order, I was told that the price had gone up $10 since the catalog was printed--granted, it was only $10, but still. . .
I said I'd order one at the catalog price, but the guy woud not budge
Ohhh-kaaay. . .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion