The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfden1 View Post
This hasn't been my experience. I've had a few modern Gibson's, including a 1997 Historic Collection J-45, and currently have a 1949 Southern Jumbo. I've also played probably 25-30 other Gibson slope dreads in the last few years, both old and new, so I do have something to compare to.

I can't say from experience whether the same applies to Bougouis and Collings. If you want a good J45, they're out there, you just have to look. I don't think your going to find it buying another makers guitar though.

Just my opinion of course and anyone's mileage may and probably will vary.
Here is the sticking point for me on Gibsons. Being that they charge thousands of dollars for a decent Gibson, why should one have to 'look around' to find a good model? Shouldn't they all sound good (like Larrivee's!?) for the money they charge.

I'm sure if I went out and played 50 - 500 dollar pac-rim guitars I would find a gem as well.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburude View Post
Guitars and Instruments in general are very personal thinks and as one of my fellow Gibson lovers says.

"Gibsons are an acquired taste. Kind of like giving a chardonnay drinker a shot of Knob Creek"
Yep, agreed. My local Gibson dealer has a roomful of Gibby's that range from VG to so-so to plain not on your life. Only one, a J45 TV with an adi top, do I love enough to really wish I could afford to buy it. To me, its truly outstanding.

But in all fairness, I have yet to find any Martin that I've thought worth the money. One of these days I will though, I'm sure. It's all subjective, or as the song goes, one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenius View Post
Here is the sticking point for me on Gibsons. Being that they charge thousands of dollars for a decent Gibson, why should one have to 'look around' to find a good model? Shouldn't they all sound good (like Larrivee's!?) for the money they charge.

I'm sure if I went out and played 50 - 500 dollar pac-rim guitars I would find a gem as well.
But that all Larrivee's sound good is just your opinion based on what pleases your ear. Apparently your experience has been that they are very conistent, but I've played some that I really liked and some not so much. When I was looking for an inexpensive OM I a/b'd the OM-O3R against a Guild GAD 30R and preferred (and bought ) the Guild.

I'm not saying here that all Gibson's are terrific (far from it), just that I think with any guitar you have to shop around and find what pleases you.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfden1 View Post
But that all Larrivee's sound good is just your opinion based on what pleases your ear. Apparently your experience has been that they are very conistent, but I've played some that I really liked and some not so much. When I was looking for an inexpensive OM I a/b'd the OM-O3R against a Guild GAD 30R and preferred (and bought ) the Guild.

I'm not saying here that all Gibson's are terrific (far from it), just that I think with any guitar you have to shop around and find what pleases you.
I totally agree with you, but as you can see, in this thread alone, a lot of guys have played some absolute clunkers, including myself, which I've never heard in a Larrivee. I know each Larrivee sounds better/different than the next as do all guitars, but when it comes to absolute Gibson duds, I don't believe this is acceptable at that price range.

You preferred the sound of the Guild and probably the pricing, which is quite normal, but when searching for a higher end 2k guitar, and you play a bunch of gibson's and you're unable to find a 'good one', well then that's just a quality issue, not tonal preference.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:58 AM

I am fairly new to Gibson, but in the last year I have not played a Gibson I didn't like and have bought a couple. I realize I may still be in the honeymoon period but I can't see wanting to trade them out for anything at this point. In several stores and states I have been impressed with every guitar and could have bought and been happy with any of them. I just haven't run across the inconsistency I keep reading about here.

On the other hand I have never met a Martin I like, I know they make make a great guitar and many of my friends and family have and love them, they just don't work for me. Larrivee and Taylor have been 50/50 with me, doesn't mean they are not incredible for other people.

My philosophy is to just play what you love and avoid what you don't.
Gibson L-200

Rickenbacker 360
Old 10-02-2008, 01:23 PM

At the end of the day.....do we all agree Gibsons are a wee bit expensive for the general quality of guitar you get ? I would not hesitate to spend a wad on a Taylor 'cos I know it will be wonderful.....but, I would have a tad of trepidation spending two months salery on a J200 that may not be any better than an Epi Masterbilt !!!!!
Eastman OM1
Ibanez M-340 Japan
Simon & Patrick SP12
Harmony mandolin
Old 10-02-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphone100 View Post
At the end of the day.....do we all agree Gibsons are a wee bit expensive for the general quality of guitar you get ? I would not hesitate to spend a wad on a Taylor 'cos I know it will be wonderful.....but, I would have a tad of trepidation spending two months salery on a J200 that may not be any better than an Epi Masterbilt !!!!!
I personally do not agree with that statement, I feel I paid a more than fair price for the guitars I got. I often find myself in the minority though.
Gibson L-200

Rickenbacker 360
Old 10-02-2008, 04:59 PM

I don't agree with it either. My wife and I have two recent Gibby's in the family, an SWD and a CJ-165. Both are terrific guitars that give us great pleasure when we play them. Wonderful sounding, easy to play, no issues, structural or cosmetic, and when compared to say high end Martin's or Taylors, not especially expensive.

Satisfied and Tickled too.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:30 PM

you know, I too haven't found much of interest in new Gibsons, but I am still looking. Here's at least part of the problem as I see it. Gibson seems almost secretive about where you can buy a Gibson. Google Gibson and you get hits for a few big box stores like Musician's Friend and mail order stores, not much else.

I am sure I could log onto the Gibson website and find retailers, but they seem to have things pretty well rigged so that you can only buy from a few select Gibson dealers. No prices aloud online or even in an e-mail as I learned when I recently inquired about an Epiphone.

The one place I know for sure where to look for a new Gibson is at Guitar Center. I go to all the Guitar Centers in all the cities I visit. Guitar Center almost never sets up a guitar correctly. They almost always stink. And not just the Gibsons, but also the Martins, the Taylors, the Breedloves, etc. Guitar Center has a knack for ruining a perfectly good guitar.

So I can't find a Gibson at Guitar Center, and I don't know where else to look and play one. There must be a store somewhere in America that gets the good Gibsons and sets them up to achieve their fullest potential. If so, Gibson sure doesn't want me to find them.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:33 PM

I'll add that the best guitar I ever played, Ever!! (double exclamation point) was a 1929 Gibson L-4.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:19 PM
some guy from NY

Sometimes I love - absolutely love - the sweet sound that comes from my J-150. Other times, I wish I had a different guitar. Same with my J-45 though I don't bounce as extreme between love and WTF.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburude View Post
I have never posted here but I cant help putting in my 2 cents.
I just sold a Martin D 28 Marquis for $2500 Its a $5000 retail guitar. Why? I did not like the tone! I just 2 weeks ago bought a Gibson 1942 Legend J 45 $9000 msrp . $6000 street price new. Hide glue exact reproduction of the first series J 45. I sent it back to the guy . I didn't like the tone.
I now have a Gibson AJ I love. A Gibson True Vintage adi top I love and a Martin D18 GE I love! I have sold every Larrivee Ive owned . Why? no spunk!
Very beautiful finely made guitars but no spunk!
Gibsons have a MOJO no other guitar that Ive played in my 63 years has. The new Bozeman guys are surpassing the 40s and 50s Gibsons. Guitars and Instruments in general are very personal thinks and as one of my fellow Gibson lovers says.

"Gibsons are an acquired taste. Kind of like giving a chardonnay drinker a shot of Knob Creek"
You need to look at old Yamaha's
I sold my AJ that sounded great because my Yamaha FG350W sounded just as full with better undertones
Old 10-02-2008, 06:52 PM

send me an old Yamaha, I'll evaluate for all.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rforman15 View Post
send me an old Yamaha, I'll evaluate for all.
Drop by. I'll make the coffee.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:01 PM

where are you?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion