The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-30-2008, 02:44 PM

Default New acoustic instruments from Gibson ...

This past week, Gibson has posted features on several new acoustic instruments, including a Limited Edition Style 5 Deluxe Banjo, 27 Deluxe Bubinga Dobro, and the new Orville Mandolin. Even if you're not into the Dobro or bluegrass instruments, you've got to see these instruments ... all are limited editions, and all are over-the-top productions ... check 'em out ...

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...e-show-the-27/

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...to-the-cradle/

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...anded-gibsons/
Old 09-30-2008, 02:55 PM

Gatorgabe: you work in Gibson's marketing dept. Right?
Old 09-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

welcome to the forum! i'm not that interested in any of these instruments, but looks cool! especially the inlay on the mandolin
Old 09-30-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Nah, couldn't be.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:19 PM

You're right. A first-timer, cross-posting this message on various guitar boards, and based in Nashville. It's impossible. I don't know what came over me.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Maybe they read todays Gibson newsletter and got excited? Someone has to be excited about a new banjo.
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/
Welcome Gatorgabe
Old 10-01-2008, 01:15 AM

I know they now have a new series call Songmaker that produced in Canada by Garrison (if I am not mistaken). I wondering how's that series sounds like? Is it as good as the other Gibson series? I am interested to find out because it's the only series I can afford to own. Any comment?

01 Admira (Mod.Teresa)Classical Guitar (Cedar/EIR)
04 Yamaha LJX6C (Engelmann/EIR)
07 Freeman Custom OMC (Adirondack/Flamed Queensland Walnut)
07 Freeman Classical (Engelmann/EIR)
09 Freeman Grand Concert (Aus Modern Kauri/NZ Ancient Kauri)
10 NAGA Guitar SAE28CE (Engelmann/EIR)

My YouTube Page

MySpace Page
Old 10-01-2008, 03:30 AM

Yamaha Junkie: I'm afraid not. The OP is the editor of gibson dot com. Google 'Gatorgabe' and 'Gibson' and you'll discover the extent of his persistently deceptive spamming. Also, be in no doubt that this behavior is fully endorsed by the company.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Hey if it sells $38,000,00 Dobros!
Old 10-01-2008, 06:18 AM

There is an awesome read in this months issue of Premier Guitar Magazine concerning Ren Ferguson and Gibson Acoustics.

For those that haven't....and those that care to read it.......here it is.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:02 AM

I don't think I like Gibson acoustics all that much!
Old 10-01-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowech View Post
I know they now have a new series call Songmaker that produced in Canada by Garrison (if I am not mistaken). I wondering how's that series sounds like? Is it as good as the other Gibson series? I am interested to find out because it's the only series I can afford to own. Any comment?
Yowech, my local Gibson dealer has got a bunch of the Canadian-made Gibsons in stock, both dreadnoughts and OM-sized instruments. I played about six or seven of them the day after they arrived, with their strings still fresh.

The set-ups on them were good, fit and finish looked fine, but quite honestly none of them sounded very good at all.

I was hugely disappointed because I actually like Gibson's acoustic guitar designs when executed properly, but none of these were instruments I could see myself buying. Each and every one of them was a clunker, and it grieved me.

That was from the first batch of Canadian-made Gibsons made in the former Garrison plant that arrived here in Anchorage, and maybe subsequent batches have improved. But each and every one of those guitars that I tried was a waste of wood and effort.

Don't take my word for it - go out and try some for yourself. But whatever you do, don't buy one mail order or online without having the opportunity to try it first. While these are moderately priced by Gibson standards, I honestly think you'd be better off spending the same amount of money and getting a satin finish Larrivée instead. (And those are Canadian-made, as well!)

Wade Hampton Miller

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 10-01-2008 at 07:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-01-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofapco View Post
Hey Eugenius... Guitars don't spam.... People do.

Lay off the Gibson Bashing
I agree 100% and in no way is my opinion based on the OP's lame marketing tactic, but I was being serious! I don't want to sound mean or evil in any way, but I just don't like Gibson acoustics, I was being honest and believe I am allowed to express my opinion am I not!?! I've picked up a 3k Gibson that sounded worse than the Epiphone next to it and I believe their tone leaves a lot to be desired.

I just think that they are way overpriced, I not a big fan of the tone, although they do have very nice aesthetics, I just think there are a large number of brands out there that offer better value, quality and sound. Fair enough?

But to each is own, I assume there are some great sounding models, but I've yet to find one.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:21 AM

Paul, lost in all of this is the link I posted about Ren.

Did you/have you read it........it is a great article about the man, his building, etc. Being spoken of in the same terms as Loar is quite a feat.

The article offers alot of great insight.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:53 PM

Talking

As I'm a bluegrass kind of guy and love Gibson Mando's and Banjo's. Their guitars don't quite cut it for me but I'm not going to bash them.
I took a look at the link at the mando and read the "sales pitch".

I especially like the part where they state the top is Black Spruce cut from a cemetery in Malone, NY.

Here's my problem ! Black Spruce does not grow in Malone, N.Y. I guess it's possible a black spruce could have been transplanted to the growing site.
Around here, (Malone is less than an hour drive from me) you can see primarily White (Englemann) Spruce and the very odd Red Spruce (Adirondack) but you do not see black spruce until you go a long ways farther north eg: 200 miles.
Anyone think this is a marketing scam ?
BTW, Black Spruce exhibits similar qualities as Red Spruce but to find a tree large enough needed to make even a 1 piece Mando top would be a real challenge.
Black Spruce can and has hybird with white or red but again that happens where the species overlap. From Malone, that's either a good ways east of Malone for Red or even farther north for Black Spruce.
Keep on Pick'in !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion