The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-03-2008, 04:41 PM

Default Bought an import here is the outcome

I'm a true Martin guy I'm not snobish and don't own a killer priced one.I have a Road Series DM and a older D1R over the years since I bought these Martins have become harder to afford.Trying to restock the cookie jar after putting 3 kids through college in time for retirement.Thats just around the corner.I really wanted a solid spruce top and solid rosewood back and sides acoustic.A D28 was more than I wanted spend but I always had bad luck with imports and when I ordered a Guild GAD 50 SUNBURST that continued the neck was twisted and it sounded like .... well dog do! I sent it back and went with a GAD50 but natural giving it one more shot before getting a refund.When the replacement arrived of course with near dead strings I just tuned it to pitch checked the action 3/32nd 12th fret bass E string 2/32nd high E same fret.OK better I changed strings to my favorite of course Martin SP Med/light 55-12.5 phors.bronze and tuned and let it sit till last night about 24hours in its case with humidifier.Well when I retuned last night and played it for 5 hours til 1am this morning(it's friday") I was pleased..joyful and surprised what a great sound just what I wanted from a rosewood acoustic..It looks like a $2000 model great tuners bone nut and saddle,nice trim almost like a D28 but with a different bass than a Martin but a good bass and nice high end easy to play just feels and sounds high dollar but was pretty reasonable..just don't get a sunburst model it maybe the one I sent back hopefully they took a grinder to it....cibby
Old 10-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Cibby,

Good story, glad you are happy. I bought a Guild GAD-30R earlier this year, had to change the strings immediately, then dialed in the action a little bit (it was a little high), but then, I loved it. I also have some Martins and Taylors and think that this guitar is a very good deal.

I was sorry to hear, however, that your first try with the sunburst was not good. That's a shame, but glad you made it work out in the end.

Regards, Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion