The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholmes View Post
Woody, I honestly can't tell the difference. 'Course that could be from 23 years in a machine shop and several thousand rounds of large caliber handgun ammo

Tom
well tom, we both got a hummingbird, so i will go with your experience....i got d'addario pb 12s on her now, and will test the euphonons....

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 10-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post
just changed to my 1st every set of webstrings portland acoustic mediums... sounding good so far..
anyone know the lifespan of these?
Hi Hann...
I get between 20-25 hours of playing time from any non-coated strings. Doesn't seem to matter what brand or source. I use a lot of webstrings strings since students and friends buy them off me when they are in a hurry or a pinch.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-02-2008, 08:22 PM

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I think I'll give those DR Sunbeams a try, if I can find them. I have some wrist issues, so playability is really important, but of course I hate to sacrifice tone. The 'beams sound like just the ticket.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:39 PM

Location: 3 miles from the Rose Bowl, 3 miles from Dodger Stadium

Acoustically, I use John Pearse 700M Phosphor Bronze Wound medium-gauge strings ~ .013, .017, .026, .035, .045, .056.

My Martins take to them sublimely. There is a noticeable flexibility in terms of tone, resonance, and overall sonic capabilities. I can attack 'em in blues mode and caress 'em in folk mode. Always score 'em at Shoreline Music, too.

Play on, pick often, and prosper. Regards.....Kabookie

Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
"Play on, pick often, & prosper."
Old 10-02-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixiron150 View Post
I tried a few sets of webstrings. Sounded good for a while but died quickly (at about the 1 week point). You might have better luck though. I have a set of Curt Mangan's on now. Richest sound of any I've tried to date and are holding up well after 2 weeks.
__________________________________________________ _________

I found the Webstrings didnt seem to last very long. I like the $2/set Musician's Gear Strings (MF). They hold up much better and you just cant beat the price (IMO of course!).....

Ryan

Quick Note: I put a set of these (80/20) on my Aria AD-80 a month ago or more and they still sound good. I've been very surprised by this. Usually the low E string on uncoated strings tends to get thuddy (dead sounding) within a week or 2.....

Last edited by 66strummer; 10-02-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post
rares and sunbeams are quite different actually.

Rares are hex core while sunbeams are round core.

The difference is this.. most strings nowadays are hex core because they "bite" into the windings, so it prevents the windings from slipping off. but also cos this hex core, tensions are higher.
The sunbeam is roundcore so there's more winding surface in contact with the core wire. This prolongs sustain abit but it is noticeable.

Sound wise, they're both pretty similar seeing they're both DR products.
But the sunbeams, also cos of the roundcore, have a lower tension, so they're easier to play/bend/hammer etc.. I've tried both and i've stuck with sunbeams.. love the playability and the increased sustain. =)

hope it helps.
+1 good desciption.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 10-02-2008, 10:33 PM

Elixir Polyweb Mediums

Why?

1) I like the tone
2) I like the lack of string noise
3) I like the smooth feel
4) I like the fact that they keep their ring 4 to 5 times longer than any uncoated strings I have used, and and least twice as long as other coated strings I have tried.
5) Because of 4, they are much more cost effective than any other strings have tried. Because of 1-3, I would still use them even if they cost a little more.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion